The Student Room Group

This is how animals are killed in the UK,

Taken from BBC website.
This is how animals are killed in the UK
1. Captive bolt gun - causes concussion and BRAIN DAMAGE
2. Electrocution - Poultry dipped in pool of electrified water
3. Gassing - suffocation. commonly used with pigs and chickens

Would you like to be gassed? Do you remember when humans got gassed? why should we gas animals? Imagine all those help less pigs trapped in a gas chamber? I am sure this will bring nightmares to any human.

That brain damage part seems painful

Also we cannot judge Halal slaughterer from some YouTube videos. This people who do this are not professionals. They are just crazy locals making a scene from it. I have seen slaughters done in an professional environment. It is a quick.

I am a vegetarian, please do not quote me in any religious arguments.

but overall it sounds inhumane.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, please can you keep to the topic - you have a good thread here, let's stick to it. Personally, yes I do think it is inhumane. But I also stuggle to see what the alternative is if people continue to buy and eat meat.
People who moan about the inhumanity of Halal slaughter yet still eat meat are retards to be honest.

Not to mention half of them probably stuff their faces with kebab meat at the weekend
(edited 9 years ago)
Of course a bolt gun causes brain damage. That's the point. You kill the animal by fatally damaging the brain...

But aren't there laws about preventing harm to slaughtered animals in the UK? I thought all animals had to be stunned, so feel no pain, before a slaughter (with the exception of religious slaughter).
I'm not sure that "would you like to be killed like this?" is a terribly strong argument.
Reply 5
Original post by cambio wechsel
I'm not sure that "would you like to be killed like this?" is a terribly strong argument.

does that even make sense?
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
Of course a bolt gun causes brain damage. That's the point. You kill the animal by fatally damaging the brain...

But aren't there laws about preventing harm to slaughtered animals in the UK? I thought all animals had to be stunned, so feel no pain, before a slaughter (with the exception of religious slaughter).

we're already eating these creatures after they've been living in atrocious living conditions packed together fed protein gruel bred into monsters suitable for our dinner plates without seeing the blue sky or the sun at any point, I honestly don't understand why we even bother with how they are killed the whole thing is just so absurd.

My god they slit his throat and it will bleed to death how terrifying and cruel what barbarians! whilst chopping down on a plate of bacon unassumingly ignoring what suffering went into it.

either we go all the way fully understanding these creatures are suffering without regard because their suffering does not in truth matter to us at all, or we become completely moral and avoid any product of suffering including cloth, glues and the many other paraphernalia produced from massive scale animal farming.
you asked
Original post by wartortle

Would you like to be gassed?

I would not like to be. But there is no way in which I should want to be killed, such that my answering "no" to that is as much an answer to the question "would you like to be killed?" as "would you like to be killed in specifically this fashion?"
doesn't matter, ate meat
How do you propose we kill them then?
Reply 10
Original post by bertstare
doesn't matter, ate meat

but when it comes to muslims and halal meat, everyone seems to go one muslim bashing mode.
Original post by Stratos
we're already eating these creatures after they've been living in atrocious living conditions packed together fed protein gruel bred into monsters suitable for our dinner plates without seeing the blue sky or the sun at any point, I honestly don't understand why we even bother with how they are killed the whole thing is just so absurd.

Have you ever actually been on a farm? I've worked and visited many farms and none have conditions like tge ones you've described...Please do some legit research before you generalise the whole farming industry off a few YouTube videos which are automatically bias and most of the footage isn't from the UK or is 30-40 years old.
but when it comes to muslims and halal meat, everyone seems to go one muslim bashing mode.

That's because the halal method causes pain and an extended death, so anyone who cares about animal welfare is obviously going to oppose it. The method you described in the OP renders the animal unconscious instantaneously
Reply 13
That's because the halal method causes pain and an extended death, so anyone who cares about animal welfare is obviously going to oppose it. The method you described in the OP renders the animal unconscious instantaneously

But gassing pigs with carbon dioxide so they suffocate is perfectly fine, as long as there are muslims we can bash with there halal meat.

A chamber full of pigs trapped, all being starved of oxygen. A slow and pain full death. But who cares, we have muslims to blame.
(edited 9 years ago)
The majority of slaughter houses are under veterinary supervision and what you see - like many animal rights activists - show the really horrible side when there is no one is supervision, or just have little random moments to try and get their point across. There is always a minority but, there are laws to protect animal welfare - stunning renders the animal unconscious, and even dead sometimes, so no pain is felt.

Having been out with Vets, and on farms, farmers and vets (with, again, a small minority who do not) take really good care of their animals, and I have seen on farm slaughters, the animals are dead before it happens (the vet checks)

What you see on youtube usually isn't in the UK - I know in american slaughter houses they don't stun apparently, they just cut out the trachea.
But gassing pigs with carbon dioxide so they suffocate is perfectly fine, as long as there are muslims we can bash with there halal meat.

A chamber full of pigs trapped, all being starved of oxygen. A slow and pain full death. But who cares, we have muslims to blame.

All three of those methods induce rapid unconsciousness before slaughter, you're just writing emotional responses with no substance. Halal killing on the other hand does not attempt to depress any brain function before the throat is cut, so it very clearly and evidently going to be painful for the animals
Halal is so much more barbaric.

Watch a halal slaughter. Then watch a pre-stunned slaughter. Note the more agonising sounds coming from the animal in the halal slaughter.

Now wipe those tears and STFU.
Reply 17
All three of those methods induce rapid unconsciousness before slaughter, you're just writing emotional responses with no substance. Halal killing on the other hand does not attempt to depress any brain function before the throat is cut, so it very clearly and evidently going to be painful for the animals

no,

so you are telling me that oxygen starvation is pain free?

If muslims did this gassing, there would be an outrage.
no,

so you are telling me that oxygen starvation is pain free?

If muslims did this gassing, there would be an outrage.

There wouldn't be, because gassing is the traditional English slaughter method.

No one bats an eye about the Catholic's slaughter method.
Reply 19
Original post by Donald Trump
There wouldn't be, because gassing is the traditional English slaughter method.

No one bats an eye about the Catholic's slaughter method.

but it is inhumane as other methods other religions use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending