The Student Room Group

Cardinal Vaughan or St. Michael's

What sixth form should I go to, Cardinal Vaughan (Holland Park) or St. Michael's Grammar School (Finchley)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There all really good schools to be honest. What was your point score for Cardinal Vaughan?
Reply 2
i think it was 69
Original post by ManLike
i think it was 69

I'm going to st Michael's do you know if there's an induction day or anything
Reply 4
I have no idea all i know is that we contact them with our results
Original post by ManLike
I have no idea all i know is that we contact them with our results

Have you seen the girl to boy ratio loool apparently it's 18 girls to 1 boy
Reply 6
yeah that's too much so i might go Vaughan instead as its closer
Isn't St.Michael an all girls school? My friend from Primary school goes there and she just finished her GCSE's. Apparently it's ok.
Reply 8
Sixth form is both boys and girls and ahh still don't know haha
I am currently in St Michael's (Year 11, 4 more GCSE exams!) and will be going to its sixth form in September. The school is high ranking, pupils are friendly and intelligent and the teachers are helpful. St Michaels is all-girls from Year 7 to Year 11 but the sixth form is mixed. The girl:boy ratio is pretty decent but there are probably 3-5 times as many girls. The ratio is relatively small because of the male FCH students who occasionally come to St Michael's for their Sixth form lessons or after school clubs (I know that they find badminton popular). They are identifiable by their suits because FCH's Sixth form dress code is stricter than that of St Michael's. if you have any more questions about St Michael's, don't hesitate to contact this purple person!
Reply 10
Original post by ManLike
i think it was 69

I don't exactly know what point score is, lol, but what were your predicted/grades?
Original post by Ichiko N.A.B.
I am currently in St Michael's (Year 11, 4 more GCSE exams!) and will be going to its sixth form in September. The school is high ranking, pupils are friendly and intelligent and the teachers are helpful. St Michaels is all-girls from Year 7 to Year 11 but the sixth form is mixed. The girl:boy ratio is pretty decent but there are probably 3-5 times as many girls. The ratio is relatively small because of the male FCH students who occasionally come to St Michael's for their Sixth form lessons or after school clubs (I know that they find badminton popular). They are identifiable by their suits because FCH's Sixth form dress code is stricter than that of St Michael's. if you have any more questions about St Michael's, don't hesitate to contact this purple person!

See you in September then haha I still have 2 further maths exams left :/
Original post by Joshua697
See you in September then haha I still have 2 further maths exams left :/

I just got back from chemistry, 3 more exams. Good luck with your exams and see you in September :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by amauchee
I don't exactly know what point score is, lol, but what were your predicted/grades?

5A*s rest A's
Original post by ManLike
What sixth form should I go to, Cardinal Vaughan (Holland Park) or St. Michael's Grammar School (Finchley)?

I have been at the Vaughan for 7 years and will be finishing in 4 days, I could not recommend a school more highly especially for musicians.
Reply 15
Original post by chemistry12345
I have been at the Vaughan for 7 years and will be finishing in 4 days, I could not recommend a school more highly especially for musicians.

lol im not a musician
Reply 16
Original post by TomzOJO
Any advice, I still need to make this decision really quick

I would suggest Cardinal Vaughan, as it does achieve outstanding GCSE and A-Level grades yearly. Many students often go into the best universities such as Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, etc...I think to my knowledge it is quite high on the league tables also. I personally, love the school and everything about it :biggrin: They have a variety of extra curriculars to get stuck into such as their quite famous rugby team, and others such as football, rowing, etc... It does focus a lot on Catholicism (I think they have mass like every week or something), and I'm sure St Michael's does also, so just be aware of that :smile: :goodluck:
Reply 17
Original post by TomzOJO
Do you know more about the extra curricular in Vaughan, how it helps to get my ucas points

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nopee, I don't know much about how the UCAS points come into it.
Original post by happysmile
Hello, if you have time could you please answer my questions as school starts in a week so it's getting urgent: I'm planning to go to St. Michael's in September, do you know what their sixth form dress code is? (couldn't find it on their website) also is general studies a-level definitely compulsory, and how many hours a week of general studies lessons are there? And around how many hours of RE lessons a week, and how frequent is mass? (and are both compulsory attendance?) I don't mind attending a Catholic school but would it be awkward for a non-Catholic person like me? Thanks

Hi! So sorry for having replied so late, I was trying to think of an adequate answer for you. Anyway here goes:

1. The school dress code:
- shorts, combat trousers and sportswear not allowed. Leggings only to worn with full length skirts
- trousers and jeans must be plain (not torn, with 'loud' colours/patterns or patches, studs, fringes, etc)
- trousers and jeans must be full-length and worn at waist length
- skirts must not be shorter than knee-length
- hats, caps and hoods must not be worn within the school site
- unsuitably revealing clothes not allowed (e.g. skin tight items, bare midriffs, etc)
- extravagant jewellery (rings and studs are only allowed on ears and on fingers)
- hair may only be dyed a natural colour

2. General studies AS/A2 level is compulsory (I know right, I feel your pain) but right now I am not sure how many lessons of it we get a week (something to find out on Wednesday I guess).

3. R.E. lessons are also compulsory - most of the time they are not overbearingly religious (often ethics) so it should be all right.

4. The next mass is on St Michael's day near the end of September and it is during school time. Masses are compulsory and are generally at the end of every term (last about 1 hour). There is also a mass every Friday lunch but don't worry, it is wholly optional and not very many people go to this mass anyway. It lasts 30 minutes and sometimes individual classes are invited to host this Friday mass.

5. It wouldn't be that awkward to go to a Catholic school since most of the students who are already in the school (the purple people :biggrin:) don't often take the religion seriously because they have been so over-exposed to it. In addition, the students are very liberal, none of my friends/classmates are homophobic or discriminatory in any way (as the stereotype of Catholicism goes). In fact, I would go so far to say that most students are probably agnostic/atheist/liberal Catholic/etc so it shouldn't be awkward (except maybe masses and R.E. lessons)

6. Just another point that I thought to add, there is a trip for all Sixth Form students on 9th September as part of an induction to St Michael's . You probably have info on this already but I thought that I might as well mention it.

if you have any more questions, jusk ask! :smile: Sorry about the length of this entry - I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.
Original post by happysmile
Hey!!!

Thanks for your thorough reply! What subjects are you taking? I'll be studying the three sciences - so how is the science department? Also, do we have to bring all our books on Wednesday as we won't know which lessons we have on that day (they're all so heavy, especially the chemistry textbook...) Looking forward to seeing you then!

Were we meant to buy the textbooks?! I haven't done that, O_O I thought that they would give us the textbooks when we go in on Wednesday or in our first lesson. Oops...
I am studying all three sciences as well! My other choices are Mathematics and Latin (but I will drop Latin really soon). The Science department consists of some very good and enthusiastic teachers but they can't always control their classes very well.
By the way what was your fourth choice? I look forward to seeing you too - less than 2 days to go!

Quick Reply

Latest