The Student Room Group

What happens to your muscles when you stop training??

Okay obviously I know they shrink.

Basically I've been told by my doctor not to do any strenuous exercise (for health reasons - I've hurt my back, carrying a suitcase... Ironically) for at least 6 weeks. I still plan on doing some light exercise but I really don't want to push it.

My thighs and bum are pretty muscular (been lifting for over a year) in fact if I tense either area it's rock solid.. There's almost no fat there at all. I know it's a myth that muscle turns back into fat, so if I loose muscle will it leave me with absolutely no bum/thighs at all?! Would this happen in 6 weeks or would it take a longer time? I know it seems very vain but I feel like I've worked hard for the results just to loose them all because of a stupid back problem!
Reply 1
6 weeks is barely any time for muscle loss. If you ensure you eat well enough so that your body won't turn to your muscles for energy you should be fine.

Maybe a small loss in strength but if there is any decrease in size there's the balloon effect that'll get you back in no time.
It will turn to fat
Original post by Throwaway221
Okay obviously I know they shrink.

Basically I've been told by my doctor not to do any strenuous exercise (for health reasons - I've hurt my back, carrying a suitcase... Ironically) for at least 6 weeks. I still plan on doing some light exercise but I really don't want to push it.

My thighs and bum are pretty muscular (been lifting for over a year) in fact if I tense either area it's rock solid.. There's almost no fat there at all. I know it's a myth that muscle turns back into fat, so if I loose muscle will it leave me with absolutely no bum/thighs at all?! Would this happen in 6 weeks or would it take a longer time? I know it seems very vain but I feel like I've worked hard for the results just to loose them all because of a stupid back problem!

If its just a problem with your back stopping you doing squats (you seem mainly concerned about your ass and legs...) then you could always just do pistols in the interim...
Original post by bertstare
It will turn to fat

Reply 5
It turns to fat.
turns to fat
I'm also out the loop. I've damaged my back as well (specifically the lower back).

I've been hammering away at the WattBike since I cant lift, run or row :frown:
Reply 8
Back injuries don't mean don't lift then mean don't do things that involve your back. It's the one thing all the machines are good for.
You only loose muscle from not eating when your body breaks it down as a source of energy. However lack of exercise, and a calorie surplus, would increase fat storage so you look less muscular. Advice would be to eat right amount in balance form.
Original post by BKS
Back injuries don't mean don't lift then mean don't do things that involve your back. It's the one thing all the machines are good for.

I think you'd be surprised how much your back is actually used, despite it feeling relaxed. I can't currently do the following:

Bench Pull
Lat Pull
Dead Lift
Squat
Split/squat
Box Jump
Leg press
And kind of body lift.

Which is almost my entire routine.

I should probably add that it's ligament based, not muscular.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
It will turn to fat
Stupid question, but why does it get turned into fat instead of just broken down into energy? :redface:
Original post by Bassetts
Stupid question, but why does it get turned into fat instead of just broken down into energy? :redface:

Oh I was joking lol, it doesn't get turned to fat. But you can lose muscle and gain fat once you stop all training/watching your diet, which can of course make it seem like the muscle has "turned to fat"
Reply 13
Original post by Pegasus2
I think you'd be surprised how much your back is actually used, despite it feeling relaxed. I can't currently do the following:

Bench Pull
Lat Pull
Dead Lift
Squat
Split/squat
Box Jump
Leg press
And kind of body lift.

Which is almost my entire routine.

I should probably add that it's ligament based, not muscular.

I'm not surprised because none of those are what I meant, apart from leg press it's pretty uncommon to injury your back in a way that effects it. Otherwise there are leg extensions and curls. They might not be in your normal routine but I'd expect you to have to do different things to train when injured. If you can't train your back at all then don't, but you can still do most upper body stuff.
Original post by Bassetts

Fat is stored energy.

It gets turned into energy and then unless you have a calorie deficit it will become fat.
Original post by Rakas21
Fat is stored energy.

It gets turned into energy and then unless you have a calorie deficit it will become fat.
But technically speaking, muscle can't turn into fat, nor can fat turn into muscle. So the muscle gets broken down into energy and if you don't decrease your caloric intake, you gain fat in place of it. As bertstare explained above.

Quick Reply

Latest