The Student Room Group

OCR FP1 Friday May 16th 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bobbyford
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone could help me with a complex roots of equations question, on Jan 2012

You are given that one of the roots of z^3-10z^2+37z-78 is z=6

and I've gotten to the stage of applying the quadratic formula and have (4±√-36)/2 and I was curious of how to get from this, to 2±3j (the other roots in the mark scheme), thanks!

√-36 is the same as the √(-1 x 36). √-1 is i and √36 is 6, therefore √-36 is the same as 6i. (4±6i)/2 is 2±3i
Original post by Knowing
1604797_841412412554220_6208639635766385659_n.jpg

wow never thought of doing it like that. you've just improved my life.
Original post by TheProblematique
√-36 is the same as the √(-1 x 36). √-1 is i and √36 is 6, therefore √-36 is the same as 6i. (4±6i)/2 is 2±3i

thank you very much, I was looking at it in completely the wrong way!

Does anyone have any tips for proof my induction questions? they are the only other ones which I struggle on
5ii) june 2009, i dont know how to obtain -70 as a answer using sum of roots and products
Original post by bobbyford
thank you very much, I was looking at it in completely the wrong way!

Does anyone have any tips for proof my induction questions? they are the only other ones which I struggle on

no problem. Look at the fp1 text book because it has loads of examples on induction questions which I found quite helpful. What exactly is it that you struggle with in induction?
Reply 85
Original post by alow
My record is 18 minutes for FP1 :colone:

To be fair, it was an easy paper, I usually average 25 mins. Plenty of time for checking my answers :lol:

Oh yeah, my record is 12.25 seconds.
My average is like 21.3 ish seconds tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Everyone's been so helpful today:smile: I have another question.

a shear parallel to the x-axis is represented by a matrix that looks like this where k is an integer

1 k
0 1

so if k is 4, is the scale factor of the shear 4 as well? Do shears even have scale factors?

Please correct me if I am wrong but that looks like a combined transformation matrix where X = AB where A and B are the respective shear and scale factor matrices?

Don't quote me on it though, I'm not an expert. :tongue:
Reply 87
Original post by Stakesby

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay... :confused:
Original post by destinedtofail:(
5ii) june 2009, i dont know how to obtain -70 as a answer using sum of roots and products

it's a method of differences question?

Using the method a certain genius just showed me:
IMG_7009.jpg
Reply 90

Use the substitution and find a cubic in u. Should be obvious from there.
Original post by Stakesby

Posted from TSR Mobile

Were you trying to imply that you don't believe the people that are saying they did the paper in such little time or was it a typo and you actually meant to put minutes instead of seconds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92

Imagine a cubic:

ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, with roots x,y,z

then the sum of product in pairs would be c/a.

(so it would be -70/1 = -70)
Everyone's been so helpful today:smile: I have another question.

a shear parallel to the x-axis is represented by a matrix that looks like this where k is an integer

1 k
0 1

so if k is 4, is the scale factor of the shear 4 as well? Do shears even have scale factors?

I think its better to say 'shear x axis invariant that maps the point (0,1) to (x,y)'. So they don't really have a scale factor, you should give an example of a point that it maps (1,0) or (0,1) to. If that makes sense.
no problem. Look at the fp1 text book because it has loads of examples on induction questions which I found quite helpful. What exactly is it that you struggle with in induction?

Just get really confused with how to go about different questions in different papers, I'll have a good read of the examples, thanks
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
I think its better to say 'shear x axis invariant that maps the point (0,1) to (x,y)'. So they don't really have a scale factor, you should give an example of a point that it maps (1,0) or (0,1) to. If that makes sense.

Oh okay, thank you :smile:
Reply 96
Pretty sure the mark schemes accept s.f. for shears as well though :tongue:
Okay to quote from a markscheme:
'Shear, x axis invariant or parallel to x-axis eg image of (1, 1) is (3, 1) SR allow s.f. 2 or shearing angle of correct angle to appropriate axis'

So yes scale factor is okay but I think saying the image of (1,0) or whatever is safer anyway.
Reply 98
Original post by Knowing
Pretty sure the mark schemes accept s.f. for shears as well though :tongue:

I read in one MS that you can also give the angle of the shear.
Reply 99
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
Okay to quote from a markscheme:
'Shear, x axis invariant or parallel to x-axis eg image of (1, 1) is (3, 1) SR allow s.f. 2 or shearing angle of correct angle to appropriate axis'

So yes scale factor is okay but I think saying the image of (1,0) or whatever is safer anyway.

Any reason why we couldn't just use (x,y)(x,y)(x,y) \mapsto (x',y') instead of writing "image of (x,y) is (x',y')"?

Quick Reply

Latest