The Student Room Group

Is it okay if you fail one of your four as levels?!?!??

So basically i know for sure I'm going to fail Geography and my exam for it is this monday.
I'm planning on going to Uni of Bham/Manc/Notts, does anyone know whether they would care about it, I'm planning on doing chemistry so geography is totally irrelevant to the course
Reply 1
Original post by AnnaMaiDo
So basically i know for sure I'm going to fail Geography and my exam for it is this monday.
I'm planning on going to Uni of Bham/Manc/Notts, does anyone know whether they would care about it, I'm planning on doing chemistry so geography is totally irrelevant to the course

For some courses the requirement is that you pass a fourth AS level. You could always get it by resitting the exams next year, but you'll be missing an AS level when you apply, which they might find odd. Then again I ended up only doing the exams for three AS levels in Year 12 and I got into plenty of decent places (then again I also listed myself as self-teaching AS and A2 Spanish in Year 13 so maybe they assumed I had been spending the extra AS level time doing AS Spanish - which I hadn't). Check their websites, email them if need be.

Edit: One potential bonus to completely failing (ie getting a U) is that I don't think you have to list it on UCAS when you apply, because you don't actually get a qualification to speak of. Someone might come along and correct me on that though, things have changed since I was doing the whole UCAS thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
For some courses the requirement is that you pass a fourth AS level. You could always get it by resitting the exams next year, but you'll be missing an AS level when you apply, which they might find odd. Then again I ended up only doing the exams for three AS levels in Year 12 and I got into plenty of decent places (then again I also listed myself as self-teaching AS and A2 Spanish in Year 13 so maybe they assumed I had been spending the extra AS level time doing AS Spanish - which I hadn't). Check their websites, email them if need be.

Edit: One potential bonus to completely failing (ie getting a U) is that I don't think you have to list it on UCAS when you apply, because you don't actually get a qualification to speak of. Someone might come along and correct me on that though, things have changed since I was doing the whole UCAS thing.

thanks for your reply, my exam went okay in the end - but I still reckon I got a D. what decent unis did you get in to and what are you currently studying?
Reply 3
Original post by AnnaMaiDo
thanks for your reply, my exam went okay in the end - but I still reckon I got a D. what decent unis did you get in to and what are you currently studying?

I'm not currently studying, but way back when I got into Edinburgh, UCL, Durham, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds (I applied in two consecutive years because I changed my mind about my subject, I got multiple offers from some of those, the only place I didn't get into was Cambridge).

Now I think about it, though, I was forced to take AS Critical Thinking by my school as well, so I guess I did technically have 4 AS levels in Year 12 (only went to about two lessons and got a D in it though).

Quick Reply

Latest