The Student Room Group

"Why is it some men think that insulting women sexually is OK?"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brownsugar-xx
It's been on my mind recently so no problem haha but i think that's as far as my use goes. Can you give an example of what you mean? Because im not sure i totally agree its one sided - for example women insult the size of men's dicks or they'll say they're bad in bed and with girls etc just like how men will say a womans pussy is loose and she's probably easy and sleeps with alot of people.

sorry i cant really give an example, yeah I know it is really one sided but I wanted to get the views of just anyone in general because on the program I saw the women they interviewed seemed to find this sort of thing funny and I don't really see the humour of all of it, but yes women do insult men sexually which is not right as well. perhaps I might have to open a new thread about men?
I think its all down to respect... and obviously with some of the comments people don't respect each other. and also some of the comments are just having a go at each other. perhaps all of you need to go to BBC iplayer and watch the documentary "blurred lines- the new battle of the sexes" http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0436qlw/Blurred_Lines_The_New_Battle_of_the_Sexes/ then someone might understand....
What happened to 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'? Grow up.
eh?

sense of humour is subjective. people respond to things differently, it is as it is. An uptight or prudish woman may not like sexual jokes. She won't change her outlook to suit you...

I can understand not taking oneself too seriously, but then if people don't like what you say, then don't say it lol.. it's not that difficult a concept.
OK it may just be me but every time I see something (as in the OP) written in a font that isn't the standard font, I assume it's copy-pasted or at least not the work of the original poster.
Reply 45
This shouldn't even be considered a gender problem. It's just a problem of being tolerant. Some don't tolerate sexual jokes. It's not a gender thing, it's a human thing. If you are not tolerant then tell your friends to stop. Stop with all the threads trying to bring up feminism in anything.
Original post by ninja_dragon
"Why is it some men still think that insulting women sexually is a great way, indeed the only way, of finding out if they have a sense of humour?" - The Guardian.

Basically
I saw this show on BBC 2 called "blurred lines - the new battle of the sexes" Where the reporter explored how women are viewed in public life. And whether there's a new "culture" where it is acceptable to refer to women in an offensive way.:mad:

And I was really shocked with how many women just accept it, or think its a joke or funny! I don't really see how it can be completely acceptable? And why are women viewed in this way? Why aren't men viewed in this way to the same extent?

Why has society become like this?
:s-smilie:
And their are still a handfull of people that think feminism is a load of rubbish!
:confused:

that special feminist font...
Such immature responses in here
"Why is it some men still think that insulting women sexually is a great way, indeed the only way, of finding out if they have a sense of humour?" - The Guardian.

Basically
I saw this show on BBC 2 called "blurred lines - the new battle of the sexes" Where the reporter explored how women are viewed in public life. And whether there's a new "culture" where it is acceptable to refer to women in an offensive way.:mad:

And I was really shocked with how many women just accept it, or think its a joke or funny! I don't really see how it can be completely acceptable? And why are women viewed in this way? Why aren't men viewed in this way to the same extent?

Why has society become like this?
:s-smilie:
And their are still a handfull of people that think feminism is a load of rubbish!
:confused:

Depends.

The woman may not mind it. If not, then she should say so.

Look, not everybody thinks as you do..don't presume you know best for all lol..
Original post by the bear
that special feminist font...

I copy and pasted it from a website.
Original post by brownbearxo
Such immature responses in here

OMG! thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who thought that! obviously society thinks its acceptable...
Original post by TolerantBeing
Actually in most cases, insulting someone is not socially acceptable :s

I didn't mean socially acceptable, you are also equally free to not be friends with someone who uses insults that you disapprove of.
Original post by ClickItBack
You know, I think there is something to this.

Men and women generally have different psychosocial profiles, and the difference is to some extent biologically determined. I'm pretty sure I remember reading some papers which showed that women tended to show a greater degree of neuroticism. They also tended to analyse conversations more after they were over, with better recall of what was said, whereas men were less good at this. I'll have a look around for these papers later.

OP, if you want a real-life example of this, think of how a girl would react if she was told someone didn't like her: typically, with some concern ([stereotypically] 'omg why, what did I do to make her dislike me, I must try to fix this'). Now think of how a boy would react in the same situation ([stereotypically] 'yeah, bovvvvered mate, he's a dick anyway'). Stereotypes maybe, but I'd say this holds true for about 80% of girls and guys I know.

One of the most sensible posts I've seen in this type of thread.
One thing people always seem to forget when discussing men and women is that we are different.
Will rep you when I can.
OMG! thank you!!! I thought I was the only one who thought that! obviously society thinks its acceptable...

If it does, so what?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
What's the issue here? Who doesn't love a good insult?

One of my birthday cards this year said "Happy Birthday you filthy slattern" on the front, and I was delighted.

Why are so few women on TSR as equanimous as you? :love:
Original post by Boltons Bastard
Yeah. Women without a sense of humour really are not worth wasting time on. Avoid like the plague. You have been warned, TSR, you have been warned.

Not sure I understand how humour and sexual harassment are linked?
If the words are unwanted, then this is bullying.
If someone called you fat, would you take it as a joke? Or would you go away and look in the mirror, trying to work out where you need to lose weight in order to be 'better looking'?
Most people, male or female, would take it to heart. How do they know if you are joking?
If someone called you a coward, beckoning you to fight them while drunk, would you 'man up' and fight them, or walk away and lose your dignity?
You would probably at least talk your way out of it, rather than backing off, or take them on. You might turn it into a joke, but the other drunkard is likely to be serious.
How do women know that the comment isn't serious? How can you expect us not to be offended, as you would be, if you were put in an equivalent situation?
Original post by carrotstar
Not sure I understand how humour and sexual harassment are linked?
If the words are unwanted, then this is bullying.
If someone called you fat, would you take it as a joke? Or would you go away and look in the mirror, trying to work out where you need to lose weight in order to be 'better looking'?
Most people, male or female, would take it to heart. How do they know if you are joking?
If someone called you a coward, beckoning you to fight them while drunk, would you 'man up' and fight them, or walk away and lose your dignity?
You would probably at least talk your way out of it, rather than backing off, or take them on. You might turn it into a joke, but the other drunkard is likely to be serious.
How do women know that the comment isn't serious? How can you expect us not to be offended, as you would be, if you were put in an equivalent situation?

I didn't read all of this but all I can say is there are massive problems with your belief and value system. Not much more I can say really.
Reply 57
Original post by Anonymous Coward
One of the most sensible posts I've seen in this type of thread.
One thing people always seem to forget when discussing men and women is that we are different.
Will rep you when I can.

That means that we are not equal...

To address the question rape is not usually right but then again it takes too for it to happen. If by the question you mean verbally it also isn't always right but then again women do the same thing so I don't think anyone including you can act innocent in this topic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ClickItBack
Why are so few women on TSR as equanimous as you? :love:

I don't know, but I thought it was brilliant.

Snapshot_20140509_1.JPG
Original post by The_Duck
I didn't mean socially acceptable, you are also equally free to not be friends with someone who uses insults that you disapprove of.

That's more than obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending