The Student Room Group

Which are cheap areas to live in London?

Hi!
I am desperately looking for an affordable room to rent in London. Usually I cycle but I think everything within cycling distance to Central London is quite expensive these days. I remember paying £80-90 to live north almost FOUR years ago and now the prices are likely to be around £150-180! It's outrageous! I don't get a maintenance loan so I was wondering:

Which areas are cheap and not too far out?

The further out I am, the more I need to pay for tube fares so it's a vicious cycle. I am trying to look for a balance - where I can possibly cycle to Central London but where it is affordable.

Any hidden gems you know?

I am trying to pay less than £100 a week but now I am just not sure how likely that is. Most of places under £100 are likely to be ratholes or in disgusting conditions (so far my experience)

Please help!!
"I am trying to pay less than £100 a week"

I'm not even sure the ratholes in London would accept £100 a week. If you are planning on living in London then the prices are going to be quite high for accommodation. I'd recommend calling your uni, as they will have advice on cheapest accommodation, as it is likely something they are asked a lot or just do some fanatic Google searches and choose the cheapest option.
Yeah, you'll be hard pushed to find something less than £100. It is possible but it'll be areas that probably aren't in cycling distance to central london. I recommend spareroom.com for looking for places because you can search by price.
There aren't any, best bet is to either share a room or find somewhere really run down (e.g. elephant & castle, tower hamlets, peckham) but those areas are cheaper for a reason (and still not actually cheap).

You basically have to make a massive compromise on accomodation in london and if you dont then that compromise is the rent.

London is a fantastic place to live but I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't earning a fair bit, certainly not for being an undergrad when there are so many other options across the country and abroad.
Constructively I think you have a reasonable chance of being able to share a room within Z2 or 3 for £100 or less pw
the gutter.
Original post by climbing_trees88
There aren't any, best bet is to either share a room or find somewhere really run down (e.g. elephant & castle, tower hamlets, peckham) but those areas are cheaper for a reason (and still not actually cheap).

You basically have to make a massive compromise on accomodation in london and if you dont then that compromise is the rent.

London is a fantastic place to live but I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't earning a fair bit, certainly not for being an undergrad when there are so many other options across the country and abroad.

Haha, those areas aren't 'run down', I like them a lot. Still unlikely to get less than a hundred a week though, especially in elephant.
I've been in London as an undergrad and loved it.
Original post by meaow1990
I am trying to pay less than £100 a week but now I am just not sure how likely that is. Most of places under £100 are likely to be ratholes or in disgusting conditions (so far my experience)

Please help!!

A broom cupboard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending