The Student Room Group

AGHH Failed. Is this allowed?

Failed my second driving test today. Honestly getting seriously frustrated. I've done so many miles its ridiculous, I've driven 250 miles with my Dad asleep in the passanger across Yorkshire and done countless hours with an Instructor. I've done so much my Instructor is suggesting we reduce the hours I do, because I'm not learning anything anymore and that only experience will help.

Anyway, on this test I got no minors and 1 major for 'meeting'. When I got in the car the examiner wasn't happy with the scruffy road tax, labeling it 'unprofessional'. I didn't care much. I drove off, first 10 minutes were perfect.

But then he started complaining about my speed, saying I was driving to slow. This was the exact speed I drive with my instructor, it was a busy road with shops and traffic lights everywhere - I was around 20MPH in 3rd gear. When we got to reverse around the bend, I asked if I could lower my mirror, he said (and I quote) 'Look, what would you do if you were alone? Stop being selfish, there are lots of others waiting to take their test so hurry up!'. He was somehow suggesting the time I was taking would compromise the next person to take their test. I'm no pushover, and was very annoyed. I told him to calm down and that he wasn't being professional (sarcastically quoting his earlier comment). I then pointed out that if I should be driving as if I'm alone - why are you forcing me to drive faster? He didn't reply but looked very annoyed.

I did the maneuver, perfectly, not a single blip at all. We continued to go on, and he continued to complain about my speed. I was so surprised, because my instructor is ALWAYS telling me to slow down on my lessons.

Eventually we got to a point where there was cars parked on the left side, an 'obstruction' so to speak. However, there was enough room for 2 and a half cars (the rule my instructor gave me) so I went for the gap. As I went through, I did 18MPH, the other driver DID NOT slow down, nor did I. The gap was plentiful, it'd be nonsensical for me to have stopped.

Anyway, I pullover at the end of the test - smiling - extremely confident I'd done it. It was too good to have failed, and he tells me I'd failed. He didn't explain it, saying he was short on time because of the length of time I took (yet it was exactly 42 minutes...) and walked out and shut the door with some force.

Now look, I know I failed so you may think I'm just moaning - but the first time I failed I touched the kerb and accepted that - this time the guy was just a complete ******* and because I didn't rollover for him he failed me!

What the hell can I do about this?

P.S Forgot to mention I had no minors at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
You can accept that he is a trained examiner, and you're just someone who hasn't passed your test yet, so he knows better than you.

Then you can get a new instructor, because yours says there's nothing more he can teach you, and you haven't passed yet so you clearly need to learn something more.
Original post by Juno
You can accept that he is a trained examiner, and you're just someone who hasn't passed your test yet, so he knows better than you.

Then you can get a new instructor, because yours says there's nothing more he can teach you, and you haven't passed yet so you clearly need to learn something more.

Hopefully sarcasm as the examiner sounds like a bit of a cnut tbh.

As long as there is room for both cars and neither need to slow down, stop or change their course of direction then it should be and is a non issue.
Reply 3
Original post by DotDotCurve
Hopefully sarcasm as the examiner sounds like a bit of a cnut tbh.

As long as there is room for both cars and neither need to slow down, stop or change their course of direction then it should be and is a non issue.

Well, one person is saying there was room, and one is saying there wasn't. Only one knows what they're talking about, and it wasn't the op...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Well, one person is saying there was room, and one is saying there wasn't. Only one knows what they're talking about, and it wasn't the op...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because they have passed their exams/got the job, doesn't mean they know what they are doing.
Just as it never does in any job. I seem to realise this more and more each day.

Being someone who was screwed by an instructor before I am more inclined to believe OP.

Hypocrite? Yes.
Get a new instructor. Also, I know of someone who failed their driving test 13 times so don't give up
Reply 6
Original post by Juno

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question:

Do you accept the judgement of every person if that's their profession? What if the Police walked in to your room right now and beat the crap out of you and then threw you into the cell? Would you then say 'Well its his job, so he knows what he's on about!'. I'd hope you'd have the sense to understand humans make mistakes and are far from perfect; having a job at something does not grant you a mystical invulnerability to mistakes or bias.

I would also like to say if there was no gap, and the examiner was right, then why did the other car nor I slow down, change direction or even have a collision?

I had no minors in this test, the examiner was just being a prat.

P.S Would just like to add my friend took the test the next day, he said he took his maneuver at a different, completely flat, location. I was wondering why I appeared to be the only one doing the reverse around the corner on a massive hill. I could be wrong about this part... Just pointing it out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Ask your instructor to sit in on the next test see what he thinks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Juno

Forgot to mention something.

You said I should blindly trust the examiner's decision because they have been given training and its their profession therefore he 'knows better than me'.

Yet when it concerns my instructor, who is equally trained in his field of work, now all of a sudden I (and you) know better than him, and I must question him?

Care to explain.
Reply 9
To be honest...as annoyed as you may have been by the examiner, DO NOT argue with them. Why risk getting on their bad side if they're the ones marking your sheet? Particularly if your instructor is not in the car to back you up in a hostile situation. Respect your authority and they'll likely respect you. If you're on their bad side of course they're going to penalize you for the smallest of mistakes when you do make them.

Also, an examiner can fail you for driving too slowly if you exceed four minors (or so I was told, as I had this problem prior to passing my test) Keep trying and you'll pass eventually!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 0zzy94
this time the guy was just a complete ******* and because I didn't rollover for him he failed me!

What the hell can I do about this?

P.S Forgot to mention I had no minors at all.

That's why you failed. You need to understand that he is in a position to give you something you want. If you're going to be sarcastic to him and not do as he says then you'll not get what you want. Next time just suck up to the examiner. Who cares if you think that's not right, but you're going to have to do it. He tells you your tax disk is scruffy then just say something like 'Oh sorry about that. Would you like me to quickly smarten it up?' instead of shrugging your shoulders.

PS. You had no mirrors? That's hardly your examiners fault.

PPS. If you think you can't learn anything more, you're being really naive.
Reply 11
Original post by Runninground
That's why you failed. You need to understand that he is in a position to give you something you want. If you're going to be sarcastic to him and not do as he says then you'll not get what you want. Next time just suck up to the examiner. Who cares if you think that's not right, but you're going to have to do it. He tells you your tax disk is scruffy then just say something like 'Oh sorry about that. Would you like me to quickly smarten it up?' instead of shrugging your shoulders.

PS. You had no mirrors? That's hardly your examiners fault.

PPS. If you think you can't learn anything more, you're being really naive.

I said minors, not mirrors. I dont know where you got that from.

My instructor said that, want his number to go argue with him? I dont know why you're coming after me about it?

Just to clear up, he said there is nothing SPECIFIC for me to learn or work on. Just practice and experience to tighten up all-round driving. He didn't say I was perfect nor did he imply it. He merely pointed out there wasn't a specific thing to work on.

Jeez some people really do get sensitive when you imply you're good at something, next time I'll say he said I was **** at driving. Then maybe you guys will be a bit nicer.
Reply 12
Original post by 0zzy94
Forgot to mention something.

You said I should blindly trust the examiner's decision because they have been given training and its their profession therefore he 'knows better than me'.

Yet when it concerns my instructor, who is equally trained in his field of work, now all of a sudden I (and you) know better than him, and I must question him?

Care to explain.

The examiner does nothing but sit exams. You are paying your instructor to be on your side.

The examiner commented on you driving too slowly. That can be construed as hesitation, lack of confidence, failing to observe the road ahead (changing speed limits), etc.

How did you know you were going exactly 18mph when you were going through that gap? Should you have even been looking at the speedo at that time?

If the examiner thinks he doesn't want you driving on the same road as his dear children later the same day, he's going to fail you. A bit unfair not to offer some constructive feedback but to answer your original question, there isn't anything you can do.

Suck it up, get some experience, if you're that good you'll pass next time and be a better driver for it.
Reply 13
Original post by 0zzy94
I'm no pushover, and was very annoyed. I told him to calm down and that he wasn't being professional (sarcastically quoting his earlier comment). I then pointed out that if I should be driving as if I'm alone - why are you forcing me to drive faster? He didn't reply but looked very annoyed.

Original post by 0zzy94

My instructor said that, want his number to go argue with him? I dont know why you're coming after me about it?

To be honest you come across as rather confrontational, making sarcastic comments about the professionalism of the examiner for example is a sure fire way to piss him off.

Of course it shouldn't matter. The test should purely be about your skill and judgement behind the wheel, not your social etiquette. However if the examiner (who does admittedly sound slightly harsh) has to make a borderline decision on whether you pass or fail it is comments such as those which will push him towards a fail.
Original post by 0zzy94
I said minors, not mirrors. I dont know where you got that from.

Just to clear up, he said there is nothing SPECIFIC for me to learn or work on. Just practice and experience to tighten up all-round driving. He didn't say I was perfect nor did he imply it. He merely pointed out there wasn't a specific thing to work on.

Jeez some people really do get sensitive when you imply you're good at something, next time I'll say he said I was **** at driving. Then maybe you guys will be a bit nicer.

Oh sorry, misread minors for mirrors (I did think no mirrors was a bit odd...)

Maybe if it happens next time then ask him for specific advice. If you're asking for me to argue with your instructor over the 'nothing more the learn bit' I would but I have better things to do. Anyone who thinks they can't learn more (in whatever field) is just being ignorant.

Most people are being 'sensitive' as you put it on here as you sound like you are implying you are a perfect driver and that your examiner was wrong.
Reply 15
Original post by Runninground
Oh sorry, misread minors for mirrors (I did think no mirrors was a bit odd...)

Maybe if it happens next time then ask him for specific advice. If you're asking for me to argue with your instructor over the 'nothing more the learn bit' I would but I have better things to do. Anyone who thinks they can't learn more (in whatever field) is just being ignorant.

Most people are being 'sensitive' as you put it on here as you sound like you are implying you are a perfect driver and that your examiner was wrong.

No I'm not asking you to you argue with him, I'm just giving you the more correct option of arguing with him, given he said it.

I'm not implying I was the perfect driver, I even said I wasn't. If you could show me where I implied that I'd grateful, all I'm implying is that I believe I'm above the test requirements and yes - I do believe the examiner was wrong. Is that so bad or wrong? Humans make mistakes and I'm certainly not the only one to complain.

Finally, I submitted a complaint to the manager and finally got a response. Apparently this isn't the first time the examiner has been accused of foul play, I wont get a refund or anything, but the examiner has taken a leave of absence. Apparently something else more serious happened since, If that isn't proof I was screwed, I do not know what is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending