The Student Room Group

GCSE core science 2014

Who is taking gcse core science exams this year?
How are you finding it?

I'm struggling with the biology and physics, any tips?.

Feel free to post queries and revision tips etc :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NathalieGW
How are you finding it?

Which topics are you striggling with?. My tips are to do lots of past papers and look at the markscheme you get an insight as to what the examiners are looking for and how to answer the questions.

It also gets you in the exam mindset, so you feel fresh and well prepared :-)
Reply 2
Original post by CJaymyers98
Which topics are you striggling with?. My tips are to do lots of past papers and look at the markscheme you get an insight as to what the examiners are looking for and how to answer the questions.

It also gets you in the exam mindset, so you feel fresh and well prepared :-)

Past papers? The syllabus has revamped, so pastpapers aren't too helpfull.

I'm finding natural selection, bacterial strands and adaptation difficicult :-(
Past papers? The syllabus has revamped, so pastpapers aren't too helpfull.

I'm finding natural selection, bacterial strands and adaptation difficicult :-(

National selections- individuals in a species show variation because of differences in their genes. The individuals that have characteristics most suitable for survival in the given environment, are more likely to survive and thus reproduce.

The succesfull individuals pass on the genes to their offspring. However, the individuals with characteristics not suitable to the environment are less likely to survive and to therefore reproduce.

Variation can be caused by both genes and the environment, although only variation by genes is passed on to next generations.

An animal adaptation is a physical feauture that animal has, which enables it to survive in its given environment Adaptation is due to normal genetics or mutation. Mutation is caused by a change in chromosone, which thus renders to genetic information.

An example of adaptation, would be a camel's hump. The camels store fat in their humps, which substitute for the lack of water and nutrients in the dessert environment.

Sorry, i can't remember microorganisms.

Are you ok with cloning and theories of evolution?.
Reply 4
National selections- individuals in a species show variation because of differences in their genes. The individuals that have characteristics most suitable for survival in the given environment, are more likely to survive and thus reproduce.

The succesfull individuals pass on the genes to their offspring. However, the individuals with characteristics not suitable to the environment are less likely to survive and to therefore reproduce.

Variation can be caused by both genes and the environment, although only variation by genes is passed on to next generations.

An animal adaptation is a physical feauture that animal has, which enables it to survive in its given environment Adaptation is due to normal genetics or mutation. Mutation is caused by a change in chromosone, which thus renders to genetic information.

An example of adaptation, would be a camel's hump. The camels store fat in their humps, which substitute for the lack of water and nutrients in the dessert environment.

Sorry, i can't remember microorganisms.

Are you ok with cloning and theories of evolution?.

Thanks for the feedback :-) It's well structured and explains the topics at A* level. I am a bit confused with egg cell cloning.

It's ok that you can't help me with microorganisms, you've already helped me loads :-D

How ia additional science going for you? Feel free to give core-science advice
How are you finding it?

For my core science cgp books helped a lot. Are you okay with the nervous system and how reflexes happen.
The bacteria strain stuff: A bacteria strain could cause an epidemic if it has not been encountered before. This would mean that nobody is immune to it and so could spread rapidly.
New strains can appear when the body fights off the bacteria killing most of the bacteria however if any bacteria has mutated to not be destroyed by the body it becomes a new strain . This is the same with antibiotics and why people need to finish their course and doctors shouldn't prescribe them too much because bacteria can become immune to that particular antibiotic. If this happens too much there can become a super bug which is a strain of bacteria that is resistant/immune to antibiotics.

Revision tips:
Personally for core i did less work than i am for additional and extension atm. For core i went through the cgp books numerous times however its probably too late for that so PAST PAPERS!!!! Don't look at the mark scheme first though, I know it sounds stupid but some people do and your say to yourself "oh i would have got that" but the truth is sometimes you don't. Also do it in exam conditions so no music whilst doing the paper! Once your done mark it yourself as it helps you learn it and mark harshly. Also make sure your handwriting is neat in the exam! i got an A in biology and physics and A* in chemistry and isa but if you haven't already you might want to make some brief notes on revision cards, unless you're short on time. basically just keep reading, taking notes, writing back out or doing past papers which IMO is better. :smile: idk if any of this helped but i hope your exams go well
Reply 6
Original post by vish.handa
For my core science cgp books helped a lot. Are you okay with the nervous system and how reflexes happen.
The bacteria strain stuff: A bacteria strain could cause an epidemic if it has not been encountered before. This would mean that nobody is immune to it and so could spread rapidly.
New strains can appear when the body fights off the bacteria killing most of the bacteria however if any bacteria has mutated to not be destroyed by the body it becomes a new strain . This is the same with antibiotics and why people need to finish their course and doctors shouldn't prescribe them too much because bacteria can become immune to that particular antibiotic. If this happens too much there can become a super bug which is a strain of bacteria that is resistant/immune to antibiotics.

Revision tips:
Personally for core i did less work than i am for additional and extension atm. For core i went through the cgp books numerous times however its probably too late for that so PAST PAPERS!!!! Don't look at the mark scheme first though, I know it sounds stupid but some people do and your say to yourself "oh i would have got that" but the truth is sometimes you don't. Also do it in exam conditions so no music whilst doing the paper! Once your done mark it yourself as it helps you learn it and mark harshly. Also make sure your handwriting is neat in the exam! i got an A in biology and physics and A* in chemistry and isa but if you haven't already you might want to make some brief notes on revision cards, unless you're short on time. basically just keep reading, taking notes, writing back out or doing past papers which IMO is better. :smile: idk if any of this helped but i hope your exams go well

That's great help :-)

I find that taking notes and making an evaluation of every topic helps me.
My first core science exam in on june 4th, so there's still a good amount of time.

What was your overall grade for core science?.

The nervous system is made up of neurons, which send messages as electrical impulses. There are three types of neurons.

Sensory neurons- which carry information from the receptors to the spinal cord and brain. Relay neurones carry information from one part of the cns to the other. Motor neurones carry information from the cns to the effectors.

Between two neurons there is a gap called a synapse. One neuron releases a chemical called a neurotoxin to the gap, the chemical diffuses and triggers the next neuron to send an electrical impulse.

Am i right?
Thanks for the feedback :-) It's well structured and explains the topics at A* level. I am a bit confused with egg cell cloning.

It's ok that you can't help me with microorganisms, you've already helped me loads :-D

How ia additional science going for you? Feel free to give core-science advice

As a year 11 i do try to help :-)
I got an A* in every module in core science :-D

Did you mean adult cell cloning?.

In adult cell cloning, the nucleus from an unfertilised egg cell and is discared so that all the information is removed. The nucleus of an adult body cell is injected into the egg cell.

An electric shock is applied to make the egg cell divide and form an embryo. While the embryo is still a ball of cell, it is inserted in the womb of an adult female. The embryo continues to grow and develop, the new individual is genetically identical to the animal that donated the body cell nucleus.

In your revision guide, have you tried answering the exam style questions
on these topics?

Additional science is harder, but i am enjoying it as there it's more in depth. All the topics you learn in core science link in.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
As a year 11 i do try to help :-)
I got an A* in every module in core science :-D

Did you mean adult cell cloning?.

In adult cell cloning, the nucleus from an unfertilised egg cell and is discared so that all the information is removed. The nucleus of an adult body cell is injected into the egg cell.

An electric shock is applied to make the egg cell divide and form an embryo. While the embryo is still a ball of cell, it is inserted in the womb of an adult female. The embryo continues to grow and develop, the new individual is genetically identical to the animal that donated the body cell nucleus.

In your revision guide, have you tried answering the exam style questions
on these topics?

Additional science is harder, but i am enjoying it as there it's more in depth. All the topics you learn in core science link in.

Thank you for that. Again another in-depth evaluation

I have been doing the exam style questions, but i couldn't find any in cloning which is a shock really as that topic would be great for long answer questions.

Have you got any tips on answering questions that you don't know?.

You got consistent A*s in each module, that is very impressive :-).
That's great help :-)

I find that taking notes and making an evaluation of every topic helps me.
My first core science exam in on june 4th, so there's still a good amount of time.

What was your overall grade for core science?.

The nervous system is made up of neurons, which send messages as electrical impulses. There are three types of neurons.

Sensory neurons- which carry information from the receptors to the spinal cord and brain. Relay neurones carry information from one part of the cns to the other. Motor neurones carry information from the cns to the effectors.

Between two neurons there is a gap called a synapse. One neuron releases a chemical called a neurotoxin to the gap, the chemical diffuses and triggers the next neuron to send an electrical impulse.

Am i right?

Yeah that's right. Make sure you know the difference between a reflex and a regular action. For example a regular action will send a message to the CNS (brain and spine) which will process the information and send an action back to the muscle. A reflex is what you described earlier
Stimulant-->Sensory neurone-->Relay neurone-->Motor neurone->muscle

My overall grade was an A however my friend got the same grades for each part just 1 or 2 marks higher than me and he got an A* so i was close, this year I'm aiming for A* in both add science and ext/triple science.

As you've got a bit of time i would make brief notes but don't add to much information, just bullet point it. If you are revising from cgp make sure you read all the little bits of info on the page as they sometimes ask about them. You could also grab a copy of the specification of the aqa website as it tells you literally everything you need to know. Also in the paper I did they asked about cells - if you haven't done the paper yet don't click it so you can do it as a past paper later(see question 7 here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BL1HP-QP-JUN13.PDF) and that is part of unit 2 which we hadn't learnt. So i don't know what to suggest for that except maybe revise cells or check the specification for anything cgp missed out in the unit 1 book as cells is in unit 2 book. I don't know if anything of what i have written makes sense as I'm typing quick so sorry if it doesn't. :tongue:

For physics i would make sure you know units for each measurement for example:
Weight - Newtons
Mass - Grams
etc
also idk if you need it atm or if you've done it already but you will need to know gravity isn't a force, however weight is.

This is unrelated to unit 1 science but when you reach additional science- in physics especially make sure you actually listen because i made the mistake of taking it easy because we had just done an exam but the stuff you learn then is important because there is hardly any time to go over it. We only finished the unit 3 at the beginning of April which is late in terms of revision. Stuff like lenses etc are not fun to try catch up on!

Anyway i went off topic but feel free ask about any topics you need help with:smile:
Thank you for that. Again another in-depth evaluation

I have been doing the exam style questions, but i couldn't find any in cloning which is a shock really as that topic would be great for long answer questions.

Have you got any tips on answering questions that you don't know?.

You got consistent A*s in each module, that is very impressive :-).

I sure did. Although this year i hope to get higher ums as there is a difference between scraping an A* and getting a solid A*. This may also indicate whether i'm good enough for cambridge ;-).

You should also aim for an A*, it's quite easy to get one in core science :-D

Try re-reading the questions a few times and think logically. Do the words link in to topics i have heard, write anything that you think will get you marks.

Just try your best really.
Reply 11
I sure did. Although this year i hope to get higher ums as there is a difference between scraping an A* and getting a solid A*. This may also indicate whether i'm good enough for cambridge ;-).

You should also aim for an A*, it's quite easy to get one in core science :-D

Try re-reading the questions a few times and think logically. Do the words link in to topics i have heard, write anything that you think will get you marks.

Just try your best really.

True, i suppose it would be a similar indicator for ucl. UCL is the university which i aspire to go to :-)

I guess there isn't much you can do, it's just best to have had massive amounts of preparation and to be in the most focused mindset possible.
Hiya my name is Sara, and I am taking the GCSE core science 2014. Are you doing your exam on 19th may(b1,c1,p1) and on the 6th June(b2,c2,p2)

I am fine with biology,chemistry I am working on but I really need help for physics, I wonder if anyone would help me?

Thank you
Reply 13
Original post by sarahussainxxx
Hiya my name is Sara, and I am taking the GCSE core science 2014. Are you doing your exam on 19th may(b1,c1,p1) and on the 6th June(b2,c2,p2)

I am fine with biology,chemistry I am working on but I really need help for physics, I wonder if anyone would help me?

Thank you

I'm only doing the double award, so i habe three seperate exams. Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I would be more than happy to help you in physics. What is it that you are finding difficult?.

What is your predicted grade?.
I'm only doing the double award, so i habe three seperate exams. Chemistry, Physics and Biology.

I would be more than happy to help you in physics. What is it that you are finding difficult?.

What is your predicted grade?.

The topics I struggle is on all of p1 such as SHC,SLH,effiencypaybaktime,coduction,convection,radiation,insulation,heat and temperature, waves and space.

My predicted grade is a B, but I really want a A - A* I am probably wont get it now as I am crap at physics :frown:

if you cant help its not a problem as I feel guilty enough asking you

Thank you
The topics I struggle is on all of p1 such as SHC,SLH,effiencypaybaktime,coduction,convection,radiation,insulation,heat and temperature, waves and space.

My predicted grade is a B, but I really want a A - A* I am probably wont get it now as I am crap at physics :frown:

Thank you

Hiya Nathalie sorry to bother you it Sara again
I was just wondering would be able to help me on p1 or not
Please reply back ASAP
Thank you
Sara
Reply 16

Thank you

It's fine, i was offline ummm

Space? Could you be more specific?.

Heat is the measure of internal energy within a material and temperature is essientially the amount of kinetic energy.

HC? You mean specific heat capacitu?. Thats the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of a material by 1c.

The formula is energy transferred = mass times specific heat capacity times temperature change.

Specific latent heat is the amount if energy needed to melt or boil 1kg of a substance
The formula is energy transferred = mass times specific latent heat...

Double glazing insulation reduces energy loss by conduction as the gap between the two panes of glass is filled with gas or a vacuum. The particles in a gas are too far apart for conduction to occur and a vacuum has no particles so conduction is impossible.

Cavity wall insulation reduces energy loss by conduction and convection as the air in the foam is a good insulator and it cant move so convection cannot occur.

Efficiency is how useful somethings energy transfers are. The formula is useful energy ÷ total energy input.

Payback time is the amount of time it takes to pay back the cost of an appliance. Payback time= cost of insulation ÷ annual savings.

Conduction is the transfer of energy through solids by the vibration of particles. The particles are always vibrating, as they gain kinetic energy the vibrate more and thus collide.

Do you know what convection is? And a convection current?.

Infrared radiation?. It's an electromagnetic radiation and every object emits and absorbs it.

Objects that are hotter than their surrounds emit more radiation untill the surroundings are the same temperature as the object. Some of tjos radiation is dissipated in the surroundings.
Objects that are cooler than their surroundings absorb more infrared radiation untill both the object and its surroundings are the same temperatite

Black matt surfaces are good absorbers and emitters of infra-red radiation. Shiny white and silvery surfaces are goos reflectors of infrared radiation

Waves are a series of oscillations which transfer energy from one place to another.

There are three parts of a wave. The amplitude which is the maximun displacement of a particle from its rest position. The trough, lowest point in a wave and crest highest point on a wave.

Electromagnetic waves include anything on the electromagnetic spectrum.

It goes in order of wavelength. Radio, Microwave, Infrared, Visible, Ultraviolet, Xray, Gamma.

The longer the wavelength the less frequent the wave. The lower the frequency the less energy the wave transfers. The shorter the wavelength, the higher the frequency and the more energy.

Electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum as they dont need a medium.

Longitudunal waves are sound waves and one type of siesmic wave (earthquake wave) called a P wave.

Soundwaves only occur when particles can vibrate. So they can only travel through mediums. They cant travel through a vacuum as there are no particles to vibrate.

The denser the medium, the faster the soundwave. That's why sound travels fastest in solids. Sound travels faster in the ocean than in the air since water in denser than air. This is because in water the particles are closer together and thus more vibrations can occur.

Higher frequency soundwaves have a higher pitch and smaller amplitude whereas lower frequency waves have a lower pitch and larger anplitude.

Do you know about the doppler effect, diffraction, refraction and reflection?.
Transverse waves have vibrations that are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. In longitudinal waves, the vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer.
Reply 17
Yeah that's right. Make sure you know the difference between a reflex and a regular action. For example a regular action will send a message to the CNS (brain and spine) which will process the information and send an action back to the muscle. A reflex is what you described earlier

My overall grade was an A however my friend got the same grades for each part just 1 or 2 marks higher than me and he got an A* so i was close, this year I'm aiming for A* in both add science and ext/triple science.

As you've got a bit of time i would make brief notes but don't add to much information, just bullet point it. If you are revising from cgp make sure you read all the little bits of info on the page as they sometimes ask about them. You could also grab a copy of the specification of the aqa website as it tells you literally everything you need to know. Also in the paper I did they asked about cells - if you haven't done the paper yet don't click it so you can do it as a past paper later(see question 7 here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BL1HP-QP-JUN13.PDF) and that is part of unit 2 which we hadn't learnt. So i don't know what to suggest for that except maybe revise cells or check the specification for anything cgp missed out in the unit 1 book as cells is in unit 2 book. I don't know if anything of what i have written makes sense as I'm typing quick so sorry if it doesn't. :tongue:

Weight - Newtons
Mass - Grams
etc
also idk if you need it atm or if you've done it already but you will need to know gravity isn't a force, however weight is.

This is unrelated to unit 1 science but when you reach additional science- in physics especially make sure you actually listen because i made the mistake of taking it easy because we had just done an exam but the stuff you learn then is important because there is hardly any time to go over it. We only finished the unit 3 at the beginning of April which is late in terms of revision. Stuff like lenses etc are not fun to try catch up on!

Anyway i went off topic but feel free ask about any topics you need help with:smile:

Reflex actions are instaneous and prevent dangerous situations, whereas normal responses are voluntary?.

Reflex actions aren't coordinated by the brain, just the spinal cord.

Cells? I don't think that's in the spec. Do you mean the structure and properties of cells?. Animal and plant cells, which we learnt in year 9?.

Weight is gravity times mass i think. Forces are measured in newtons. This isn't in the aqa core science specification, i just know from general knowledge.

I'm pretty fluent in Physics, i know all the formulas by heart, i'm confident with waves and their properties, energy transfers and sources, national grid etc.

Maths is my best subject, so i'm naturally better at chemistry and physics.

When are your additional science exams?.

Thanks for the tips :-).
True, i suppose it would be a similar indicator for ucl. UCL is the university which i aspire to go to :-)

I guess there isn't much you can do, it's just best to have had massive amounts of preparation and to be in the most focused mindset possible.

To get in to UCL you need to have exceptional talent, but i'm sure you do :-).

You seem very knowledgeable and interesting :-D What do you want to do at uni?

Also be prepared for a ridicolous exam, last january the chemistry exam was a beast, the grade boundaries an A* were 38, 29 for an A, 21 for a B.

Weight - Newtons
Mass - Grams
etc

Just a random question but did you sit a really difficult core science chemistry in january?. Where the grade-boundaries were unbelievably low

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending