The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

shinystar
Hey! I'm Canadian as well and plan on studying in the UK next year.
Which part of Canada are you from? I'm going there in January :woo:
Reply 201
farhan
Which part of Canada are you from? I'm going there in January :woo:

I'm from Ottawa, where are you headed and have you been to Canada before?
shinystar
I'm from Ottawa, where are you headed and have you been to Canada before?
Ottawa too haha. I'm going to Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal. Nope, this is going to be my first time. :smile:

I really can't wait.
Reply 203
shinystar
Hey! I'm Canadian as well and plan on studying in the UK next year.

Where and what are you going to study?
I'm living in Victoria at the moment, going back to the UK to Bristol in January!
Reply 204
djk_99
Where and what are you going to study?
I'm living in Victoria at the moment, going back to the UK to Bristol in January!

I've applied to a bunch of schools in England through UCAS for medicine and pharmacy, or I plan on pursuing a masters if that doesn't work out. How did you find studying in England?
Reply 205
farhan
Ottawa too haha. I'm going to Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal. Nope, this is going to be my first time. :smile:

I really can't wait.

That's awesome, hope you enjoy your visit. It's getting pretty cold here now! Where are you from?
Reply 206
I did hours and hours of research on UK universities and then decided not to apply in the end. The $20-24k (CAD) + ridiculous cost of living completely makes it not worth it. I would love to go, but I think I'll stick to a 3rd year abroad at Queen's or Schulich, whichever I end up. Or I could transfer to Ivey HBA third year. Have fun all you fellow Canadians though!

Why am I saying all this? :s-smilie:
Reply 207
good luck on your apps
Reply 208
Soc has no leader, anyone want to do it?
Are there any Canadians in Bristol? Seems to be a bunch of Bristolians in Canada. How does Bristol compare to our Canadian cities?
Reply 210
theguillotar
Are there any Canadians in Bristol? Seems to be a bunch of Bristolians in Canada. How does Bristol compare to our Canadian cities?

I'm in Victoria, BC at the mo and moving to Bristol in January!
Haven't met anyone from Bristol here yet, though a few people from Wales and a lot of people from around London or from up north like Yorkshire.
very cool, are you moving to Bristol for the 1st time or are you a UK native? I'm wondering what the scene is like over there in Bristol and what life in the UK is all about. This Canadian society is a welcome surprise.
Reply 212
theguillotar
very cool, are you moving to Bristol for the 1st time or are you a UK native? I'm wondering what the scene is like over there in Bristol and what life in the UK is all about. This Canadian society is a welcome surprise.

I was born and raised in the UK, but have dual citizenship with Canada. Have been living in BC for 6 months, now heading back.
Are you in Bristol now or just considering moving there? Why do you want to go to Bristol?
I'm heading over there in about a month to study at the University. I'll be at the University of Bristol for the semester in an exchange program with my school in Toronto. It took awhile to figure out which school to apply to, especially because there are so many in England. I heard Bristol is a pretty cool place so I've been searching the internet for info about the city. What's life in the city like?
Reply 214
I haven't really spent a lot of time there, but any city with a university (or 2!) is going to have lots of students about and be a lot of fun! The times I've been there have been awesome- the nightlife is good, the city is really nice and has some good cultural things to do, and the shopping is also good (and they're building a massive new shopping centre too, not sure if its open yet or not!).
nice, I think this should be a pretty good semester. I hope I don't drop too much cash... I read this article about some pubs are selling beer for .99p so that might be a bit of a problem
Reply 216
Love Canada - everything about the place is some much better than the UK!

Been to holiday there countless times - but only to the West Coast (BC) because of family.
Would really like to emigrate there permanetly after I graduate (or even a year after).

Just a few Q's, would appreciate if any one could help:

- Any from the UK done the points based system recently? I done it a few years back (online) and my family got well over the required points. Has the amount changed?

- Obviously there's a GLOBAL credit crunch but how is the economy faring in B.C.? I know Alberta is still good for the job market, but what about Vancouver side?

- I currently do Law, but understand I may have to take some form of conversion course and learn the jurisdiction in Canada. Anyone have experience of having a UK LLB and going to Canada?

- Hows the job markets in Banking and Real Estate?

again, thanks in advance.
Reply 217
-RAMBO-
Love Canada - everything about the place is some much better than the UK!

Been to holiday there countless times - but only to the West Coast (BC) because of family.
Would really like to emigrate there permanetly after I graduate (or even a year after).

Just a few Q's, would appreciate if any one could help:

- Any from the UK done the points based system recently? I done it a few years back (online) and my family got well over the required points. Has the amount changed?

- Obviously there's a GLOBAL credit crunch but how is the economy faring in B.C.? I know Alberta is still good for the job market, but what about Vancouver side?

- I currently do Law, but understand I may have to take some form of conversion course and learn the jurisdiction in Canada. Anyone have experience of having a UK LLB and going to Canada?

- Hows the job markets in Banking and Real Estate?

again, thanks in advance.

I can't answer too much of this unfortunately. In regards to the conversion course, I know there is a company called Canada Law From Abroad (www.canadalawfromabroad.com) that does work with students wishing to study law in the UK and planning to practice in Canada so it might be of interest for you to look into their website.

And I can't speak too much for the banking sector in terms of job markets, however I know Canadian banks have been incredibly sturdy during the credit crunch because they are so highly regulated. The real estate market has also faired incredibly well in relation to the rest of the world.
I wanna join! I lived there, in Toronto, close to caledonia street and duffrin and rogers st. All that lol! I lived there for 5 years from age like 11-16! Was awesome!
McEnro
I did hours and hours of research on UK universities and then decided not to apply in the end. The $20-24k (CAD) + ridiculous cost of living completely makes it not worth it. I would love to go, but I think I'll stick to a 3rd year abroad at Queen's or Schulich, whichever I end up. Or I could transfer to Ivey HBA third year. Have fun all you fellow Canadians though!

Why am I saying all this? :s-smilie:

Not worth it for undergrad for sure, I don't know how people afford those tuition fees for 3 years! I'm going for postgrad though which kinda makes it more worth it since I can get my masters in 1 year in the UK, while all my friends here will stuck doing theirs for 2 years :p:

As an aside, I knew some people who went to Schulich and I think that one of the streams there (the iBBA) has a mandatory year abroad component.

Also can I join the society? I'm from Tronna :p: (yes I say it like that). I've lived here most of my life so feel free to ask me any questions you may have if you're visiting!

Quick Reply

Latest