The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I used to say 'Tronno' for Toronto!
You can defo tell a Newfie! They get the mick taken out of themselves a lot!
I found people in Toronto to have a...I donno...more 'extreme' accent, closer to American whereas the Vancouverites seemed to be milder....that might just be me though!
Toronto must be too close to Nuw Yawk :wink:

Thanks for the information about Vancouver!!!
Reply 22
kitten with a whip
We do have different accents here, and we can tell our own accents apart, just not anybody else's!
Someone from Newfoundland sounds completely different than someone from Alberta. People from Toronto tend to have some kind of drawl...they say Toronto like "Trawna". I'm from the province where "eh" was born. Everyone makes fun of Canadians saying eh, and everyone in Canada makes fun of the people from Prince Edward Island for saying eh.
We sound different from some Americans, it just depends on where they come from. The biggest difference between our accents is that Americans tend to be more drawn out while Canadians shorten things. Americans will say abowt and Canadians will say aboot.

Any other accent questions? :biggrin:

Actually I was going to ask about the 'aboot' thing, I thought that was just The Simpsons and South Park taking the p*ss but having met some Canadians I was surprised to hear them actually pronounce it like that! That's also how the Scots pronounce it, wonder if that has anything to do with it...nice quirk though.
I saw on your profile you're at Uni in Belfast. What do you make of the Northern Irish accent? I think it's just about the nicest in the UK, very sexy :yy: Could you genuinely not tell the difference between someone from there and someone from, say, London then? Or is it just that you couldn't place an accent that exactly (as I doubt I could in most foreign countries)?
RL99
Actually I was going to ask about the 'aboot' thing, I thought that was just The Simpsons and South Park taking the p*ss but having met some Canadians I was surprised to hear them actually pronounce it like that! That's also how the Scots pronounce it, wonder if that has anything to do with it...nice quirk though.
I saw on your profile you're at Uni in Belfast. What do you make of the Northern Irish accent? I think it's just about the nicest in the UK, very sexy :yy: Could you genuinely not tell the difference between someone from there and someone from, say, London then? Or is it just that you couldn't place an accent that exactly (as I doubt I could in most foreign countries)?

Unfortunately yes, the aboot thing is very true. Some will pronounce it "aboat" and some "aboot", some actually do say "abowt", but then we get all suspicious that they weren't born in Canada. I don't think my accent is overly terrible, I'm somewhere between abowt and aboat. :P I think it has something to do with the majority of Canadians being the descendants of Scots and Irish folk.

The other question - well first, I'm not quite at uni yet, I have 13 more days in Canada before I leave. But once I get there, I'm going to be giddy with excitement over all the accents. My boyfriend is from a town near Belfast and I loooooooooove his accent. It takes me about two weeks to figure out what he's saying though, and when I'm around his family I have absolutely no idea what anyone is saying, so I just smile and nod my head.

I can usually tell the difference between a London accent and an Irish one, but once it gets down to telling the difference between a Belfast accent and a Cork accent, I'm lost.
Hey can i join... i was born near toronto, spend my summers in quebec and live in England! you are so right about how you pronounced toronto. i still do it now!
Reply 25
hehe...you've been accepted! I still do say 'Tronno' actually, unless I'm making a point 'TO-RON-TO'.
I got family in Quebec...would love to visit sometime! Do they really hate the rest of Canada as much as people make out?
hey! im lebanese, born and grew up in england, did and still doing high school in dubai, and going to "Tronno" for university!(im an 'international' person!:biggrin:)
i start university in 2 years time, but planning to visit canada in one of the 2 week holidays we have during this year.. and if not, then ill be going in summer
does anyone have ant suggestions of what to do when i first go to toronto?? like tourist places, shopping places, things to do, the specific places in the uni that i need to see..
how about housing?? and what sort of job would i most likely have in toronto??(given that im a girl and under 20!)
Oh could I join too?:p:

I'm Australian, but my family lived over in Toronto a little under 10 years ago when I was a kid, so btw the ages of 10 and 13 for me :biggrin:

I went to school there and made so many friends, so was really sad to move back :frown: I still keep in touch with one of them, but even she hasn't spoken to me in ages :confused:

I love Canada and Canadians, I wanna go there again and I defo wanna join this society :smile:

DBx
Reply 28
sure, all you need to do is find us in the socities list and click join :smile:

Ah, I miss canada! I can't wait to go back!!! I miss the flags and the big yellow school buses everywhere! hehe
Miss Tink
hehe...you've been accepted! I still do say 'Tronno' actually, unless I'm making a point 'TO-RON-TO'.
I got family in Quebec...would love to visit sometime! Do they really hate the rest of Canada as much as people make out?

No! they don't hate the rest of canada! sure some of the older generaton have some issue about having to have signs in French and English when they don't speak a word of it but its not like a deep hatred of anything outsid eof quebec! I always say "Tronno"! its just easier!
its my plan to live there for 3months next summer... hopefully the few different branches of my family i have over there will put me up for a little bit at a time.. and i certainly hope to spend most of my time up in lake muskoka at the cottage... fun times!
Reply 31
I'm hoping to go there next summer,too...catch up with old friends etc
Reply 32
I'm starting to miss Canada already and I haven't even left yet.. the thing I'll miss the most though is watching hockey games. I guess I'll have to listen to flames games online.. although it will be the middle of the night when they are on.
I'm missing Canada already too...only 8 days til I leave! At least I'm going to Ireland, so it looks pretty much the same as PEI, except more mountains and less fir trees. The potato situation appears to be about the same!
Reply 34
Is PEI where the sound of music was filmed?
Oh, and can I make you assitant leader? Makes sense to have a Canadian as one!!!
Nope, PEI is short for Prince Edward Island, the smallest of the provinces. I think the Sound of Music was filmed in Germany and Austria mostly. The real life Von Trappss escaped to Vermont, which is near my province, but I think that's as close as they got to being in PEI :P

As for assistant leader - yay! What do I have to do?
ppl plleeez answer my questions above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::wink:
Reply 37
May I join in as well? :smile: I call it 'Tronto' :p:
lebanon4ever
hey! im lebanese, born and grew up in england, did and still doing high school in dubai, and going to "Tronno" for university!(im an 'international' person!:biggrin:)
i start university in 2 years time, but planning to visit canada in one of the 2 week holidays we have during this year.. and if not, then ill be going in summer
does anyone have ant suggestions of what to do when i first go to toronto?? like tourist places, shopping places, things to do, the specific places in the uni that i need to see..
how about housing?? and what sort of job would i most likely have in toronto??(given that im a girl and under 20!)

I'm not from Toronto so I don't know how helpful these suggestions will be, but here goes.
1) go visit the CN tower of course
2) housing depends on what you want - either residence or finding an apartment. i find that residence is easier when you're an international student, it saves all the panic of finding an apartment when you're not even living in the city yet
3)as for jobs, well it depends on your experience. you could work as anything if you have the experience needed. most university students work part time in retail or the food industry. being an international student though, you'll be on a visa, which will limit the amount of hours you can work. i know that i'm only allowed to work 20 hours with mine. there's usually jobs on campus that are advertised through the university website.

sorry I couldn't be more help, I live 3 or 4 provinces over from Toronto and have only been there a handful of times! Maybe a Torontonian will come in and be able to give more answers.
thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest