The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Living for a few months at the north pole? Is that even possible? How would you get all of the food you need up there... coz I don't think there are any stores, or villages for that matter, that you pop to when your supplies are getting low? Are you gonna do smaller arctic expeditions before you go like to get used to the sort of conditions you'll face?

Please don't take these questions the wrong way. I'm not trying to say I don't think you can do it. I just find it to be a really interesting idea.

Aren't there groups of scientists that live up by the North Pole or in the Arctic somewhere? I think they live in buildings or something though so I don't think that counts. :smile:
Rach87
Living for a few months at the north pole? Is that even possible? How would you get all of the food you need up there... coz I don't think there are any stores, or villages for that matter, that you pop to when your supplies are getting low? Are you gonna do smaller arctic expeditions before you go like to get used to the sort of conditions you'll face?

Please don't take these questions the wrong way. I'm not trying to say I don't think you can do it. I just find it to be a really interesting idea.

Aren't there groups of scientists that live up by the North Pole or in the Arctic somewhere? I think they live in buildings or something though so I don't think that counts. :smile:

Haha, yeah, I don't even know if it's possible, or if I can do it, but it sounds crazy, so I wanna try. I do this at times, I get stupid ideas into my head and the danger arises when I actually put them into action! And yeah, I used to know someone who worked at McMurdo Ice Station in the North Pole. I'd love to get sent there (if I keep on with the engineering)

Btw, this is what happens when an adrenaline junkie and thrill seeker reads too much about the polar regions hahaa I've had too many plans for stunts n stuff at the north pole! Some took me quite a while to dismiss as stupid, like driving a speed car the fastest across the ice cap!!! Typical of me!
http://www.tamug.edu/Labb/Projects/Weddell/McM2001/McMurdo/McM_sea-ice.jpg

There's McMurdo. How cool does that look :smile:

http://www.tamug.edu/Labb/Projects/Weddell/McM2001/McMurdo/McM-08sm.jpg

It looks less cool there LOL It's apparantly extremely cosy in the pods.
Reply 103
Erm.........

Hi Guys!

I might be going Toronto in January. So just had a few questions really.

Whats the best airline. As a student, im on a budget, and the cheapes I've seen are Zoom and NWA. I live in nearest to Heathrow, but I guess any London airport is kool!

What kind of clothes should I pack??? I've heard Canadian winter can be a bitch! Also, I've seen some pics, and it seems alot of ppl there wear shirts ten times bigger than them!

Whats cheap over there? Electricals etc...

I've heard alot about it being multicultural, so not many race problems im guessing.

Thanks guys!
Reply 104
uzi123
Erm.........

Hi Guys!

I might be going Toronto in January. So just had a few questions really.

Whats the best airline. As a student, im on a budget, and the cheapes I've seen are Zoom and NWA. I live in nearest to Heathrow, but I guess any London airport is kool!

What kind of clothes should I pack??? I've heard Canadian winter can be a bitch! Also, I've seen some pics, and it seems alot of ppl there wear shirts ten times bigger than them!

Whats cheap over there? Electricals etc...

I've heard alot about it being multicultural, so not many race problems im guessing.

Thanks guys!

I would suggest Air Transat or Air Canada if you are flying from London to Toronto. You will probably get the cheapest fare with Air Transat but you will sacrifice the leg room.

Canadian winters are cold. Make sure you have a warm jacket, and lots of sweaters. Best idea is to make sure you wear lots of layers so you can take some off if you get too hot.. but if its cold you are ok.

I would say everything is cheap compared to London, but nothing in particular is super cheap. Maybe clothes if you look at the right places but I'm not from Toronto so I wouldn't able tell you where those would be.

I think every city has some bars that are dominated by a particular race, but for the most part you shouldn't have any trouble. Most clubs/bars are pretty tolerant.

Not sure what to say about people wearing clothes that are too big... maybe you just happened to find a lot of pics of wanna be gangters :smile:
Big_T
Not sure what to say about people wearing clothes that are too big... maybe you just happened to find a lot of pics of wanna be gangters :smile:

Or they're wimps who want to look tough by wearing a T-shirt, but have about 20 jumpers underneath with the sleeves cut off haha And yes, I have seen people do that before!

Best thing I've always found are hoodies. Nice thick ones as they can stop you freezing your ears off. Plus you can put a T-shirt or 2 in their big pocket / pouch thing.

Have fun out there though :smile:
Reply 106
I flew to Toronto with Air-Transat who I found to be much better than Air Canada, and cheaper!
Oooh, I'll have to keep that in mind; Toronto is my next city on my list since my hairstylist/friend raves about it. He's Canada obsessed.
Reply 108
Miss Tink
I flew to Toronto with Air-Transat who I found to be much better than Air Canada, and cheaper!

Maybe I'm just bitter because they lost my luggage. I flew with them in September and I found the actual trip decent.. although it was cramped. I'm flying back with Air Canada on Friday so I guess I'll have a good basis for comparison... my air canada ticket was actually cheaper than my AirTransat one.. but I think thats just luck and because I booked it really early.
I've always flown with Air Canada, cept for years ago when Canada 3000 was still around. Air Canada have great service, and they always seem to pay me a lot of attention and make sure I'm comfortable and everything LOL The benifits of looking like a terrorist hahaa But seriously, out of all the airlines I've ever flown with, Air Canada have always been the best, and I've never had any problems with my snowboards.

Can't wait till Christmas, cos I'm flying to Halifax just after Christmas and coming back just after the new year! It's gonna rock!

Though do y'all think I should *maybe* take the chains off my army boots, spikes off my biker boots, chains off my jeans, bullets off my wrist, knives off my belt and anything else that I carry that's either magnetic, or lethal lol
I live in Edmonton in Canada! Yay! :biggrin:
WOOO!! Apparantly within the RCMP, you're now allowed to have tattoos on the arms but they may make you wear a long sleeve shirt, which means I can get more tattoos so I'm well chuffed about that :smile:

Canadians are too easy going at times, but hey, s'all good lol
Reply 112
Oooooh, thanks for the replies!

Booked my flight with Air Canada, simply coz I could choose the seat, as being over 6'3 is a pain on a budget! So, i got some bulkhead seats!

I only got 23kg allowance which is nothing! Im gonna be taking jumpers and stuff for the cold whic will be really heavy!

Although I got people I know there, what are the best places to visit? I think I'll be staying in Brampton...
Reply 113
SORRY FOR NOT POSTING EARLIER! I never knew I was accepted into this society...

GO CANADA GO!

uzi123, you should go downtown Toronto if you want a taste of multi-culturalism! Diff kinds of food, clothing and all shorts of shi'ite.

If you are really that interested, go visit the CN tower! (my dad lives beside it)

Toronto is a really nice city (except for all those damn asians; jokes) and I would have went to U of T if I didn't want to pursue a Law degree in 3 years in the UK. Why do Law degrees got to take 7 years in Canada :frown:

Anyway I think Brampton is a very DRY (boring) area of Toronto. Don't get me wrong, theres stuff to do but everything is so DISTANT from other things so I suggest you go to downtown Toronto to have some fun.

long live Canada..!
Reply 114
Brampton is not even part of Toronto now that I think of it, its like 30 minutes away and I would consider Brampton to be Missisauga.
Reply 115
Oooooh I did not know that about Brampton! Well, Im only staying with them for a couple of days, then me and cuznz r going 2 a hotel! Yeah, I wanted to go CN Tower, have no idea what is has though!
Reply 116
uzi123
Oooooh I did not know that about Brampton! Well, Im only staying with them for a couple of days, then me and cuznz r going 2 a hotel! Yeah, I wanted to go CN Tower, have no idea what is has though!

DEFINITELY go to the CN tower it is so damn tall!

If you're lucky, you can see lightning hitting it and stuff!

I can give you directions if you want, but its basically on Spadina and Front or Spadina and Lakeshore.

http://www.cntower.ca/portal/GetPage.aspx?at=748

Spadina has all those asian places too if you want some chinese food or pirated dvds :biggrin:
Reply 117
Y'all Canadians are lame! nobody likes postin in here...
Reply 118
thanks alot Linh Pham! Rep 4 u!

Final Q, I have a British Passport, I dont need a Visa to visit do I? I've checked around, and I dont think I do but Im not 100% sure!
Reply 119
uzi123
thanks alot Linh Pham! Rep 4 u!

Final Q, I have a British Passport, I dont need a Visa to visit do I? I've checked around, and I dont think I do but Im not 100% sure!

Nope, as long as you aren't staying over a certain amount of time. Which I think is 6 months. Over this then yes you do need a visa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending