The Student Room Group

Canadian Soc anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
sacha_canada
Hiya,
I live in Vancouver and highly suggest it over Edmonton! I have never been to Edmonton so I am clearly biased, but you really cant beat Vancouver. Its got amazing mountains, the ocean, good night life, close to Whistler, friendly people and there is ALWAYS something new to do! On the downside it does rain a lot, but on the sunny days it is truly beautiful!
What I have heard of Edmonton is that there are a lot of old people, its really flat and ugly, freaking cold in the winters (i am talking -40) and there hockey team sucks (personal bias shining through)! it does have a booming economy though because of the oil fields that surround northern alberta.
hope that helps!

Lol, thanks for that, it was helpful! You say Edmonton is full of old people- I am in Victoria at the mo, and I don't think you could beat that for OAP central! I know Van is a much bigger city than Edmonton, but has different areas. Which district do you live in? Also the cold thing is not good- what's the weather like in the winter? Do you get much snow? I don't think I could be doing -40 having lived in England for all my life! A lot depends on uni's as well- I'm looking at doing a postgrad or further training and atm U of A is looking better for that in my areas of interest.
Reply 161
djk_99
Lol, thanks for that, it was helpful! You say Edmonton is full of old people- I am in Victoria at the mo, and I don't think you could beat that for OAP central! I know Van is a much bigger city than Edmonton, but has different areas. Which district do you live in? Also the cold thing is not good- what's the weather like in the winter? Do you get much snow? I don't think I could be doing -40 having lived in England for all my life! A lot depends on uni's as well- I'm looking at doing a postgrad or further training and atm U of A is looking better for that in my areas of interest.

Victoria over Edmonton 100%!!! But between Toronto and Victoria would bea big debate. Toronto=more reputable.

my buddy is living in Victoria and going to UBC, VERY RESPECTED as well..

Weather in Edmonton is hell too. Crazy blizzards in Winter, whereas Victoria is very temperate year round. I want to move to Victoria or Toronto! That is IT in Canada. Victoria has beautiful weather doesnt it?
Reply 162
~Linh~
Victoria over Edmonton 100%!!! But between Toronto and Victoria would bea big debate. Toronto=more reputable.

my buddy is living in Victoria and going to UBC, VERY RESPECTED as well..

Weather in Edmonton is hell too. Crazy blizzards in Winter, whereas Victoria is very temperate year round. I want to move to Victoria or Toronto! That is IT in Canada. Victoria has beautiful weather doesnt it?

Yeah, generally good. My parents are English, so moved here to 'retire'. A big part of their choice was the weather- they had 2 big snow storms last year and thats it. They can't be dealing with shovelling snow lol. Summer weather is also generally good, last year was really nice, bit more rainy this year.
However, for me Victoria is not on the short list for me personally to live- it's too small and full of old people, and my parents are here!
Isn't Toronto crazy cold in the winter too? I know Toronto has a great uni, but it's a lot harder for out of state people to get a place there.
djk_99

Yeah I hear Victoria is filled with OAP as well! Vancouver has a lot of areas to it. I would say the trendiest and nicest areas to live in are Kitsilano, Yale Town (rediculously expensive, but very nice), North Vancouver (great views and easy to get to downtown), Commercial Street area, Downtown (anywhere around Robson/Granville). Anywhere close to a sky-train stop is good, but I would say those are the nicest places to live. Winter doesnt get too cold and it the snow rarely stays for more than a day or two. It does stay on the mountains however, which is really beautiful and provides great snowboarding! UBC and SFU (the uni's) are both really reputable and have really nice facilities (UBC more so). Hoep that helps a bit!
Reply 164
djk_99
Yeah, generally good. My parents are English, so moved here to 'retire'. A big part of their choice was the weather- they had 2 big snow storms last year and thats it. They can't be dealing with shovelling snow lol. Summer weather is also generally good, last year was really nice, bit more rainy this year.
However, for me Victoria is not on the short list for me personally to live- it's too small and full of old people, and my parents are here!
Isn't Toronto crazy cold in the winter too? I know Toronto has a great uni, but it's a lot harder for out of state people to get a place there.

Kelowna in BC is nice area to live in, fewer old people I have been told, but still alot of retirees :frown:

Personally, I would choose Toronto over Vancouver because of the night-life and reputable schooling. And, it isn't hard to find a place to live in the GTA, just kinda expensive at times.

What is your decision n why?
Reply 165
oh Kelowna is really nice from what I saw. I miss Canada!

Sorry about being slow with join requests...forgot my logon details!

Read my post about Vancouver earlier in this discussion...i give a load of details :smile:
Reply 166
Miss Tink
oh Kelowna is really nice from what I saw. I miss Canada!

Sorry about being slow with join requests...forgot my logon details!

Read my post about Vancouver earlier in this discussion...i give a load of details :smile:

Kelowna is so beautiful, MOUNTAINS, STREAMS, TREES, lovely<3
Reply 167
I went to Kelowna last summer with some friends for a camping trip, it was really nice but seemed like quite a small town! The mountains and lake were beautiful though!
At the mo I'm thinking Vancouver- I think I want to do some further uni study and UBC sounds like they do what I want to study. I still have a year left in uni in the UK though, so I don't have to make a decision straight away! Thanks for your help everyone though, there's been some really great replies! It's hard to know where to choose when I've hardly been to most of these places!
sacha_canada
Hiya,
I live in Vancouver and highly suggest it over Edmonton! I have never been to Edmonton so I am clearly biased, but you really cant beat Vancouver. Its got amazing mountains, the ocean, good night life, close to Whistler, friendly people and there is ALWAYS something new to do! On the downside it does rain a lot, but on the sunny days it is truly beautiful!
What I have heard of Edmonton is that there are a lot of old people, its really flat and ugly, freaking cold in the winters (i am talking -40) and there hockey team sucks (personal bias shining through)! it does have a booming economy though because of the oil fields that surround northern alberta.
hope that helps!

canada's finding and plugging wells for a few decades time like theres no tomorrow I've heard. This true? I know they've got a HUGE amount of oil...
I LOVE CANADA!

Favourite country in the world :smile:

I lived there for 3 years, btw the ages of around 11/12 - 14/15 and adored it, one of my pen friend's who I went to school with too is coming in March next year to visit me, so excited :biggrin:
Reply 170
yo, thought id pop my head in here for introductions. and maybe put a little light on the van / edm question.

basically vancouver is a cooler more metropolitan city with a better climate and close to the mountains. its kinda like coastal england with the overcast nature of the climate (not many sunny days). decent job opportunities, but high cost of living. Great nightlife, and lots to do in and out of the city. Demographically its large at 2.1 million. There are tonnes of asian (china/hk/korea etc) and many sorts of brown folks (pakistan/india etc) in vancouver. in places white people are a minority, which is a neat experience (me being white).

edmonton is more laid back and has great summer festivals, but is not a super "looking" city and has hot summers and cold winters (which you get used to, despite the initial horror one usually feels). lots of sunshine though.
in terms of the economy, edmonton and calgary are huge right now based on the oil and gas sector, but it is drastically slowed down from where it was even this time last year. Pop around 1 million, mainly white, but many ethnic groups reside here (more than you would think).

overall i would rather live in vancouver vs. edmonton. edmonton is not as bad as most make it out to be, but its not as good as the big three cdn cities (montreal, toronto, vancouver)
Reply 171
yellowtruck
canada's finding and plugging wells for a few decades time like theres no tomorrow I've heard. This true? I know they've got a HUGE amount of oil...

no... HUGE would be slightly stretching it in my opinion... Canada has most of its oil fields in Alberta and much fewer in the surrounding provinces... but I guess that could be considered huge cuz the UK is so tiny :P
My sisters going to Carlton Uni (Ottawa, we lived there for three years in the 90s :biggrin: ) next year on exchange, I might be doing a Canada trip next year too, probably not till mid next year tho.
i miss it :frown: want to go back but have been reading the bunac visa thing and i can only have one more visa as you can only do it 2 times so im not sure whether to save it for when im done uni. Mind you by then i may qualify for a skilled worker one so who knows! may save up and go on holiday but then id never want to leave :frown: argh just want to go back so bad!
xx
Reply 174
danni_bella
My sisters going to Carlton Uni (Ottawa, we lived there for three years in the 90s :biggrin: ) next year on exchange, I might be doing a Canada trip next year too, probably not till mid next year tho.

One of my school mates... some asian girl... is going to Carlton and it is one hell of a party University.... but what University isn't? hehehe :p:
Yay what's her name, and what is she studying? My sister's doing a bachelor of business with media studies.
hey dudes...canadian here.....wanna talk to me....i live in oman....but i belong to canada...:smile:
Reply 177
Oohh excitement here in Cardiff... the Spar down the road from me just opened up a Tim Horton's stand in their shop, sells the donuts and coffee!! I almost wet myself when I walked past yesterday and saw the posters lol. Apparantly there are a few Timmys around the UK, which is a cause for much excitement from us Canucks. Anyone else seen one by them?
Reply 178
djk_99
Oohh excitement here in Cardiff... the Spar down the road from me just opened up a Tim Horton's stand in their shop, sells the donuts and coffee!! I almost wet myself when I walked past yesterday and saw the posters lol. Apparantly there are a few Timmys around the UK, which is a cause for much excitement from us Canucks. Anyone else seen one by them?

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I would kill a man... scratch that... I would kill a family for an ice cappucino from Timmy's... (i don't mean it so don't kill the police on me!)

cuz the Starbucks here is friggin expensive like 3.30quid for a large, thats like TWICE the price in Canada what the fudgegrrrrrrrr

:smile:

Canada<3
Looove this thread! Haha.
I'm from Canada, great to see other Canadians on here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending