The Student Room Group

AQA ELLA 1 & 2 revision!!

Hey! I was looking for a thread about this seeing as the exams are on the 14th and 16th, I was just wondering how everyone's revising?
I'm retaking for ELLA 1 jane eyre (analysis) and Streetcar (production task)
For ELLA 2: All my sons :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by praiseob
Hey! I was looking for a thread about this seeing as the exams are on the 14th and 16th, I was just wondering how everyone's revising?
I'm retaking for ELLA 1 jane eyre (analysis) and Streetcar (production task)
For ELLA 2: All my sons :smile:

Doing Streetcar (analytical question) and Kite Runner (production task) for ELLA 1 and ****TING IT. :O Also, All My Sons for ELLA 2. My school is crap, ****ing finally got us a teacher who could teach A-Level English Lang/Lit in January! Wanted us to study online, it took months but they finally gave in... anyway I'm hoping I could scrape into an A although I wouldn't cry myself to sleep and piss my pants if I got a C! If I don't get a B or an A though, I won't carry it on into next year! LOTS OF EXCLAMATORY SENTENCES!
Reply 2
Original post by ILikeBoats
Doing Streetcar (analytical question) and Kite Runner (production task) for ELLA 1 and ****TING IT. :O Also, All My Sons for ELLA 2. My school is crap, ****ing finally got us a teacher who could teach A-Level English Lang/Lit in January! Wanted us to study online, it took months but they finally gave in... anyway I'm hoping I could scrape into an A although I wouldn't cry myself to sleep and piss my pants if I got a C! If I don't get a B or an A though, I won't carry it on into next year! LOTS OF EXCLAMATORY SENTENCES!

What type of school does that! Sounds like you've had a terrible time!! I got a C overall (C in Ella 1, B in Ella 2) last year, hence the retake, but that was my fault as I didn't read Jane Eyre until a week before the exam...but I'm taking it seriously this year. Getting an A or a B is very possible as long as you tick all the boxes for the mark scheme I think. How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's alright. I've read the books like 4 or 5 times each. Learnt a lot of the terms and I've got a general structure. Only thing on our side is that the grade boundaries have been at like 50/75 for an A (for ELLA1+2) for the past couple of years. However, there's a reason they're always there. The exam looks pretty hard. Especially for only 1.5 hours on each paper. :frown: MADNESS!
Reply 4
It's alright. I've read the books like 4 or 5 times each. Learnt a lot of the terms and I've got a general structure. Only thing on our side is that the grade boundaries have been at like 50/75 for an A (for ELLA1+2) for the past couple of years. However, there's a reason they're always there. The exam looks pretty hard. Especially for only 1.5 hours on each paper. :frown: MADNESS!

That sounds fine, seriously the thing about the exam is that you have to not panic, last year in Ella 1 I used the most basic key terms for my analysis and it was a mess..I thought I failed but I got the breakdown and I got 16/30 which isn't the worse score but it isn't the best. In Ella 1: use 7.5 minutes to plan each section, 30 minutes to write section a, and 40 for section b, 5 minutes to check. My teacher is also an examiner for Ella 1 for other centres and she went to an Aqa meeting thingy and they told her for section B, technical accuracy is a big thing..they count the amount of mistakes you make.so it helps to be careful with grammar and expression etc. Ella 2 section b has the same marking criteria as Ella 1 section a (so it makes it easier if you think about it in that sense). Ella 2 section a just has to be focussed on comparison throughout. I feel as though the grade boundaries stay so low not because it's "hard" hard, but becaus a lot of people just don't know what to do and you seem to know so I'm sure you'll be fine 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds fine, seriously the thing about the exam is that you have to not panic, last year in Ella 1 I used the most basic key terms for my analysis and it was a mess..I thought I failed but I got the breakdown and I got 16/30 which isn't the worse score but it isn't the best. In Ella 1: use 7.5 minutes to plan each section, 30 minutes to write section a, and 40 for section b, 5 minutes to check. My teacher is also an examiner for Ella 1 for other centres and she went to an Aqa meeting thingy and they told her for section B, technical accuracy is a big thing..they count the amount of mistakes you make.so it helps to be careful with grammar and expression etc. Ella 2 section b has the same marking criteria as Ella 1 section a (so it makes it easier if you think about it in that sense). Ella 2 section a just has to be focussed on comparison throughout. I feel as though the grade boundaries stay so low not because it's "hard" hard, but becaus a lot of people just don't know what to do and you seem to know so I'm sure you'll be fine ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've prepared as well as I could in my situation mate. Cheers for the advice! Also I feel better on the ELLA 1 Section B question just because I'm able to improvise well and I think I'll do that plan structure (in regards to time) you've mentioned above. Thanks again. I'm worried about the ELLA 1 Section A though: I'm unconfident and with the ELLA 2 Section B question. I'd snatch your arm off if you offered me minimum 16 out of 30 on both of those questions though. Just hoping I don't panic and just freeze halfway through the exam!
I'm not looking forward to Ella 2 Section 1, might be difficult :/
Original post by nerdynatalie

Hopefully we'll all get A's. I don't know All My Sons well enough to quote much dialogue still. I can't remember many EXACT quotes. I'm sure ELLA 2 Section 1 will be fine!
Reply 8
Original post by nerdynatalie

Hi there! The key is just making sure you know the speech features and use them, comparing both texts throughout .it helps if you have some sort of structure/framework. You'll be fine I'm sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I've prepared as well as I could in my situation mate. Cheers for the advice! Also I feel better on the ELLA 1 Section B question just because I'm able to improvise well and I think I'll do that plan structure (in regards to time) you've mentioned above. Thanks again. I'm worried about the ELLA 1 Section A though: I'm unconfident and with the ELLA 2 Section B question. I'd snatch your arm off if you offered me minimum 16 out of 30 on both of those questions though. Just hoping I don't panic and just freeze halfway through the exam!

ELLA 2 section B, already has the extract printed on the page so you'll just have to focus on that and 'one other episode'. I start of with an introduction talking about the themes of all my sons, in relation to the question and an overview of what the extract is about then I just work through the extract chronologically picking out the best points in relation to the question. In regards to the other episode it's just a few lines of someone where else in the play where the question is showed as well. I'm pretty sure you don't need quotes for this bit as it's too show that you've studied the whole play and not just applied analysis on an unseen text :smile: don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
ELLA 2 section B, already has the extract printed on the page so you'll just have to focus on that and 'one other episode'. I start of with an introduction talking about the themes of all my sons, in relation to the question and an overview of what the extract is about then I just work through the extract chronologically picking out the best points in relation to the question. In regards to the other episode it's just a few lines of someone where else in the play where the question is showed as well. I'm pretty sure you don't need quotes for this bit as it's too show that you've studied the whole play and not just applied analysis on an unseen text :smile: don't worry about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha you're reassuring. It's what I need before an exam! Thank you friend. Good luck for the exam! Hopefully we'll both get A's! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Haha you're reassuring. It's what I need before an exam! Thank you friend. Good luck for the exam! Hopefully we'll both get A's! :biggrin:

No problem. Good luck to you too, fingers crossed we will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm doing Streetcar for the production question, how is everyone preparing for it? I don't really know what to do in order to prepare for production, so I just read the play again :s
Reply 13
Original post by apatel31
I'm doing Streetcar for the production question, how is everyone preparing for it? I don't really know what to do in order to prepare for production, so I just read the play again :s

For the streetcar production, all I've done is made notes in for each characters voice, what they sound like when they're happy, sad, angry etc. I noted down stuff like how Stanley mixes colloquial with proper English 'I got an acquaintance who deals in this sort of merchandise'. Also just be prepared for any 'mode' letters, diary entries etc.. And have a timeline of the play because i think it starts in May and ends in October so it's good to know the approximate date if they ask you to write a diary entry or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
For the streetcar production, all I've done is made notes in for each characters voice, what they sound like when they're happy, sad, angry etc. I noted down stuff like how Stanley mixes colloquial with proper English 'I got an acquaintance who deals in this sort of merchandise'. Also just be prepared for any 'mode' letters, diary entries etc.. And have a timeline of the play because i think it starts in May and ends in October so it's good to know the approximate date if they ask you to write a diary entry or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really good advice, thank you! What do you mean by 'mode' letters?

Is anyone here doing Property (ELLA 1) and Measure for Measure (ELLA 2)?
Reply 15
That's really good advice, thank you! What do you mean by 'mode' letters?

Is anyone here doing Property (ELLA 1) and Measure for Measure (ELLA 2)?

I meant like the different types of forms you might get, for example letters, diary entries, play script form etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Does anybody have any ideas on what the production piece for Streetcar could be?

A play script came up last year about Stanley, so I don't think it will be either of those
Reply 17
Does anybody have any ideas on what the production piece for Streetcar could be?

A play script came up last year about Stanley, so I don't think it will be either of those

I've have several theories, I was thinking they could ask us to write about the date that Blanche and Mitch went on, because the actual date isn't in the play...also I thought about Blanche telling Stella about the rape...or Stella telephoning Blanche at the asylum or writing to her..but you just never know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I've have several theories, I was thinking they could ask us to write about the date that Blanche and Mitch went on, because the actual date isn't in the play...also I thought about Blanche telling Stella about the rape...or Stella telephoning Blanche at the asylum or writing to her..but you just never know

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hadn't thought about the date scene! I think it would be quite tricky to write the scene where Blanche tells Stella about the rape as I don't know how explicitly Blache would reveal what happened :s
Reply 19
I hadn't thought about the date scene! I think it would be quite tricky to write the scene where Blanche tells Stella about the rape as I don't know how explicitly Blache would reveal what happened :s

I'm not really sure about how I would go about that either...I've being trying to brainstorm a few ways..I don't know if Blanche should be sober or not, if she would say it in the same manner she told Mitch about her husband or how she told Stella about belle reeve? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending