The Student Room Group

English Language & Literature WJEC - LL4 - 6th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themauvecat
Hey, RunningInHeels :smile:
I've sent an attachment of a homework assignment that I done for my college, core text Wuthering Heights and I got 40/40 on it if you want to take a look. And I can give you a few tips.
Firstly, when you get a theme such as beliefs, focus on a certain aspect of beliefs such as religion or another example the theme of death and focus on how characters deal with death.
Write about your first point (a point being a certain aspect of the text or a quote) and then focus upon another point/quote that relates to the previous one, whether it compares with it or contrasts. Don't write about another point if it has no relation to the previous one as you could lose precious marks. This point can be from Wuthering Heights or from an extended reading text. Then continue to do this throughout the essay so that it flows and sounds more coherent to the examiner. Never throw in a quote without analysis and linguistic and literary terminology involved.
As for the AO3 contextual knowledge part, I tend to use that in my introduction straight away as you'll get more AO3 marks if you keep comparing and contrasting throughout your essay.
I hope this helps and feel free to message me back with any concerns. Good luck! :biggrin:

I have no idea how to structure the essay, any ideas?
Original post by themauvecat
You're welcome :smile: my lecturer has said it might be something to do with men, like male authority or male parental figures. Also maybe violence/conflict :smile:

How would you answer that?
Original post by Utterly-confused
I have no idea how to structure the essay, any ideas?

eg for a question about Presentation of Men

Intro - How?
Context, Bronte explores different qualities of men through 3 different characters and state your three points (aka what your essay is gonna be about)

Point 1 - Hindley
feminine child - > tyrannical douche, drunk, denies H education, bad father, maybe some context points by mentioning how Hindley = Bronte's brother Bramwell

Point 2 - Edgar
weak spoilt brat - > loving father, loves Cathy more than she loves him, good father, tries to stand up for himself but fails (but its better than not trying, right?)

Point 3 - Heathcliff
outsider shown kindness -> harbinger of vengeance, continues Hindley's tyranny, outsider + ambiguous = threat?, strong, violent, can be passionate but distant (Byronic hero that all the girls fall for), only father figure of Hareton but bad father overall (uses children as part of his plan for revenge)

Conclusion - Why?
Men used to portray a male dominated world, having all the power (eg in denying education), Bronte uses Edgar to challenge contextual expectations of men, Hindley to demonstrate weakness and neglect caused by men, Heathcliff to show man's innately barbaric and raw side
Hi,
Does anyone have resources for Section A, like how to approach it, how to plan & write, and also if they have any previous mock examples please attach?
Our teacher hasn't supplied us with much :-( And I have no idea how to go about it...
Help please :-)
Reply 24
I hate the poetry. Our teacher gave us the blake book on monday for crying out loud how am i supposed to remember it? And the questions on past papers are so broad i could cry-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaimme
I hate the poetry. Our teacher gave us the blake book on monday for crying out loud how am i supposed to remember it? And the questions on past papers are so broad i could cry-.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey do you know how the outline of plan for section A? Like how to write it? :-)
Original post by Honeyecon
Hi,
Does anyone have resources for Section A, like how to approach it, how to plan & write, and also if they have any previous mock examples please attach?
Our teacher hasn't supplied us with much :-( And I have no idea how to go about it...
Help please :-)

Hey there, I have been using the past papers you can get from the WJEC website and when I ran out of essays to do I made own exam paper getting different bits and pieces from eveywhere. I know it far too late to make your own questions so therefore I would suggest if you haven't do so yet to go to their website and it is all there. Hope that helps !
Original post by CassandraLowrey
Hey there, I have been using the past papers you can get from the WJEC website and when I ran out of essays to do I made own exam paper getting different bits and pieces from eveywhere. I know it far too late to make your own questions so therefore I would suggest if you haven't do so yet to go to their website and it is all there. Hope that helps !

Thanks for the reply,
One more question, you know for section B the structure of essay is
Introduction, Your text, comparison, Your text, comparison, Your text, comparison then Conclusion. What's the structure for Section A?
Also is there any chance you could send me any of your essays for section A? would be a tremendous help, feel so unprepared :frown:
Thanks for the reply,
One more question, you know for section B the structure of essay is
Introduction, Your text, comparison, Your text, comparison, Your text, comparison then Conclusion. What's the structure for Section A?
Also is there any chance you could send me any of your essays for section A? would be a tremendous help, feel so unprepared :frown:

Yes that is what my teacher had told us to do for section B. Our core text should be take up 75℅of the essay and the comparative texts 25℅. In regards to section A I am completely terrified, but I think what I will be doing is following the framework. So for the intro I line, be giving a brief overview of the text, I will talk about the theme, genre, purpose audience and a bit of context if it applies to the writers. I then would probably be doing lit and lang analysis of all the text for the second paragraph with regards to the theme yet will continue with it throughout. Third paragraph I will probably be speaking about the syntax and finally the structure and how it reflects the theme. I know this structure might not work for you but it kinda acts like a guide line, you could probably swap around the paragraphs if you want but it all depends on the paper. And I haven't really done any essays for section B just rough outlines of what I might write.
Original post by CassandraLowrey
Yes that is what my teacher had told us to do for section B. Our core text should be take up 75℅of the essay and the comparative texts 25℅. In regards to section A I am completely terrified, but I think what I will be doing is following the framework. So for the intro I line, be giving a brief overview of the text, I will talk about the theme, genre, purpose audience and a bit of context if it applies to the writers. I then would probably be doing lit and lang analysis of all the text for the second paragraph with regards to the theme yet will continue with it throughout. Third paragraph I will probably be speaking about the syntax and finally the structure and how it reflects the theme. I know this structure might not work for you but it kinda acts like a guide line, you could probably swap around the paragraphs if you want but it all depends on the paper. And I haven't really done any essays for section B just rough outlines of what I might write.

ah, thanks! I'm sooo nervous about Section A too, we've had a lot of practice with section B regarding themes, structures, points however with A as it's unseen there's only so much you can do. Oh well, just hope I ace section B......I can't wait to be done with this exam haha :tongue:
Good luck, hope tomorrow goes well for you :-)
ah, thanks! I'm sooo nervous about Section A too, we've had a lot of practice with section B regarding themes, structures, points however with A as it's unseen there's only so much you can do. Oh well, just hope I ace section B......I can't wait to be done with this exam haha :tongue:
Good luck, hope tomorrow goes well for you :-)

Thank you, I hope it goes well for you too! Good luck everyone
How did everyone find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that this reply is amazing, this whole thread is amazing. Thank you so much it read this a couple days before the exam and created essays around it.
When I opened my exam paper this morning I promised I would let you guys know how great you are and how much you've helped me especially as a private candidate..
Salute.
Reply 33
Hi
Have just been thinking about the exam and realised that in Section B I put the number 2 in the margin as I was in a rush and just thought 2 being the second half of the exam, but I answered question 6 which was on power struggles. Does anyone know whether this will definitely mean I will get 0 marks?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest