The Student Room Group

Vector scalar product problem?

My question refers to question 8iii on the MEI C4 June 2012 paper:

http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/c4_june_2012.pdf

I will use (, , , ) to represent column vectors.

We are asked to calculate the angle theta, i.e. the angle between BC and BA.

In part (ii), the direction vector of line A'B turns out to be (-2,-1, 1). The direction vector of BC is therefore (-2, -1, 1) as we are told that A'BC is a straight line.

Additionally, we also know that that the direction vector of AB is (1,-1,2).

However to find the angle theta we must have two direction vectors which effectively face away from the angle right?

Therefore we need the angle between the direction vectors BA and BC.

BA will just be (-1,1,-2).

The scalar product works out to be -1 and cos theta = -1/6 by this method. However on the mark scheme they just use AB and BC to calculate the angle. Therefore they are using two vectors which are going in different directions from theta? Surely this is wrong? I always thought the direction vectors had to be in the same direction from the angle being measured?

They go on to get cos theta =1/6 not -1/6

Can anyone help?
Original post by Joynzer

We are asked to calculate the angle theta, i.e. the angle between BC and BA.

In part (ii), the direction vector of line A'B turns out to be (-2,-1, 1). The direction vector of BC is therefore (-2, -1, 1) as we are told that A'BC is a straight line.

Additionally, we also know that that the direction vector of AB is (1,-1,2).

Since λ=1\lambda = -1, the direction vector (1,-1,2) must be pointing away from B. Hence the dot product calculated in the mark scheme is correct.

They tricked you a bit by giving you the "wrong" direction for the direction vector.
Reply 2
Original post by atsruser
Since λ=1\lambda = -1, the direction vector (1,-1,2) must be pointing away from B. Hence the dot product calculated in the mark scheme is correct.

They tricked you a bit by giving you the "wrong" direction for the direction vector.

This might sound slightly stupid but what do you mean by lambda = -1 and how did you know that? I'm not the best with vectors!
Original post by Joynzer
This might sound slightly stupid but what do you mean by lambda = -1 and how did you know that? I'm not the best with vectors!

1. They give you the vector equation of AB in which λ\lambda appears. It turns out that AB intersects the plane at B when λ=1\lambda=-1.

Since λ\lambda is the coefficient of the direction vector in the equation for the line, then if it is negative, the quantity λ(1,1,2)T\lambda(1,-1,2)^T points in the opposite direction to the direction vector. However, it must point in the direction of AB\vec{AB} else (1,2,4)T+λ(1,1,2)T(1,2,4)^T+\lambda(1,-1,2)^T wouldn't be the position vector for B.

Thus the direction vector (1,1,2)T(1,-1,2)^T points in the opposite direction to the arrow that they've shown on the line AB, and hence in the correct direction for calculating the dot product with the other direction vector (as long as you calculate that as AB=(0,3,2)T(2,4,1)T\vec{A'B} = (0,3,2)^T-(2,4,1)^T - that's what they've used in the mark scheme)

I'm not sure if this is entirely clear - it would be much easier to explain it face-to-face. If it doesn't make any sense at all, however, you may need to revise vector equations of lines.

2. I knew that λ=1\lambda=-1 since I calculated it incorrectly to be -3/2, then looked at the mark scheme to get the right answer :-)
Reply 4
Original post by atsruser
1. They give you the vector equation of AB in which λ\lambda appears. It turns out that AB intersects the plane at B when λ=1\lambda=-1.

Since λ\lambda is the coefficient of the direction vector in the equation for the line, then if it is negative, the quantity λ(1,1,2)T\lambda(1,-1,2)^T points in the opposite direction to the direction vector. However, it must point in the direction of AB\vec{AB} else (1,2,4)T+λ(1,1,2)T(1,2,4)^T+\lambda(1,-1,2)^T wouldn't be the position vector for B.

Thus the direction vector (1,1,2)T(1,-1,2)^T points in the opposite direction to the arrow that they've shown on the line AB, and hence in the correct direction for calculating the dot product with the other direction vector (as long as you calculate that as AB=(0,3,2)T(2,4,1)T\vec{A'B} = (0,3,2)^T-(2,4,1)^T - that's what they've used in the mark scheme)

I'm not sure if this is entirely clear - it would be much easier to explain it face-to-face. If it doesn't make any sense at all, however, you may need to revise vector equations of lines.

2. I knew that λ=1\lambda=-1 since I calculated it incorrectly to be -3/2, then looked at the mark scheme to get the right answer :-)

Okay thanks very much, it makes a lot more sense now!

Quick Reply

Latest