The Student Room Group

Where can I go to get educated about current political issuses?

I'd like to know some resources (preferably available online) where I can find out more about the workings and various views surrounding current uk political issues such as EU , welfare, climate change, economic policy, immigration and privatisation in order to inform my own views on the subjects

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrankTHEsehlat
I'd like to know some resources (preferably available online) where I can find out more about the workings and various views surrounding current uk political issues such as EU , welfare, climate change, economic policy, immigration and privatisation in order to inform my own views on the subjects

radio 4. Especially the today programme. Also things like the Andrew Marr show on Sunday or the daily politics show with Andrew Neil.
Reply 2

Go on youtube and watch documentaries about the issues. I do it all the time to keep up to date and kill time. BBC iplayer has political debates on those issues very regularly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/categories/factual/politics
Original post by JamesyC
Go on youtube and watch documentaries about the issues. I do it all the time to keep up to date and kill time. BBC iplayer has political debates on those issues very regularly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/categories/factual/politics

There's some great stuff on YouTube, but with the advent of cheap editing suites there's a lot of very slick, but completely bonkers stuff out there. Just take a look at some if the 9/11 conspiracy stuff.

Always make sure it's reputable. Russia Today stuff for example tends to push the Russian governments agenda.
politicshome.com is an absolutely fantastic resource but you may find it a little overwhelming at first (Apologies if that comes across as condescending).

I'd also recommend opinion/comment article in the major newspapers. The straight up reporting, especially from broadsheets, can be a bit insidious as you're reading a story sometimes without even realising that the publication is subtly taking a side.

With a comment piece, the bias is infinitely more noticeable and the majority of the time you'll find yourself consciously agreeing/disagreeing with the main points the article is putting across; that's a good sign!
BBC news is a good start, but there's an undoubted left-wing bias so don't take it as gospel. Maybe try the Times/Telegraph to balance it out.

If you want vitriol, try the Daily Mail or the Guardian.
Reply 6

If you can get/your university have got a subscription, the FT in my opinion is the best for current affairs news, opinion and analysis.

Otherwise, for news, BBC, guardian, telegraph, independent are all good. Regardless of people's opinions, they all report the major news stories to a fairly decent standard, and all the papers offer fairly good opinion pieces by well respected writers and commentators, that will obviously differ in view, depending on the opinion of the author.
Original post by tengentoppa
BBC news is a good start, but there's an undoubted left-wing bias so don't take it as gospel. Maybe try the Times/Telegraph to balance it out.

If you want vitriol, try the Daily Mail or the Guardian.

The Guardian and the Mail are in no way comparable.
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
There's some great stuff on YouTube, but with the advent of cheap editing suites there's a lot of very slick, but completely bonkers stuff out there. Just take a look at some if the 9/11 conspiracy stuff.

Always make sure it's reputable. Russia Today stuff for example tends to push the Russian governments agenda.

Yeah exactly. I've watched so many documentaries on youtube I either know most of them or can tell within a few seconds if it is going to be bonkers. Usually stick to PBS/NOVA, BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Al Jazeera, sometimes History channel and National Geographic depending on the subject. BBC are by far the best of the lot.

Although the other night I watched an almost 3 hour documentary about the Rothschilds, federal reserve and the new world order. Amateur but fascinating stuff to watch at 3am
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by St. Brynjar

They're rather similar. They just target the bonkers brigade from either end if the political spectrum .
The news has always served me well but that's because I don't enjoy reading. I watch the BBC, CN and Al jeezera.
They're rather similar. They just target the bonkers brigade from either end if the political spectrum .

They really aren't. At a push you could claim the Mirror is a left-wing Mail. The Guardian is centre-left, the Mail is pushing far-right. The Guardian supports the Lib Dems (or at least it did in 2010), not borderline Ukip.
hi guys, this is something my mates and I have been doing in our spare time, in an effort to get more people educated and involved in politics. I'd really appreciate it if you could have a look!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCETZFydqsZsWfUtR5od4vgw

Sx
- BBC news at 6/10PM
- Channel 4 news at 7PM
- A 'serious' newspaper / Times, Telegraph, Independent, Observer
- 'Today' programme on radio 4
- 'Newsnight' late evening on BBC 2
- Prime Ministers Questions Wednesday
- Question time BBC 1 Thursday
- The Economist
- Parliament.gov.uk
- Number10.gov.uk
They really aren't. At a push you could claim the Mirror is a left-wing Mail. The Guardian is centre-left, the Mail is pushing far-right. The Guardian supports the Lib Dems (or at least it did in 2010), not borderline Ukip.

As I say. They're surprisingly similar, just targeting different markets. One left, one right.

In addition to those suggested above, I would look up each party website to see their policies.

They are 2 sides of the same coin.

One makes you hate people that don't look like you, the other makes you hate people who look like you.

The real difference between the Daily Mail and the Guardian is that Daily Mail readers think they are right but Guardian readers know they are right. If anything I would say that Guardian readers are more unashamedly dogmatic than Daily Mail readers. But we must pity the Daily Mail readers because they are oh sooooo uneducated! Pity them!
(edited 9 years ago)
there are a lot of well-informed folk on TSR who can help you
As I say. They're surprisingly similar, just targeting different markets. One left, one right.

By that logic, New Statesman and The Telegraph are surprisingly similar, one left, one right. The Guardian isn't some commie bible, it's just the most left-wing of the mainstream papers.
Original post by Huskaris
They are 2 sides of the same coin.

One makes you hate people that don't look like you, the other makes you hate people who look like you.

The real difference between the Daily Mail and the Guardian is that Daily Mail readers think they are right but Guardian readers know they are right. If anything I would say that Guardian readers are more unashamedly dogmatic than Daily Mail readers. But we must pity the Daily Mail readers because they are oh sooooo uneducated! Pity them!

Yes it's very cool to say the Guardian is another hateful propaganda machine. Thing is, it isn't. Yes the Guardian has a left-centre agenda. Just like the Independent. But has it penned a series of articles condemning David Cameron because his Dad kept a diary when he was 17?

Even if you ignore the huge differences in the level of their views, one is a tabloid and one is a quality newspaper. It's really that simple.

Quick Reply

Latest