The Student Room Group

Parents wouldn't let me travel alone.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryan9900
I feel sorry for all of you people. Really, I do.

It's one thing having parents who worry but most of the parents mentioned here sound like psychopaths who crave control. Over-protective is an understatement.

I'd understand if you were 18 or under but nearly 21? Wow. People of this generation are missing out on life because they don't want to upset their parents. It's really sad.

Well knowing my parents are worried about me, makes me feel worried and anxious. So i try to do it all that I can to put their mind at ease.
I feel sorry for all of you people. Really, I do.

It's one thing having parents who worry but most of the parents mentioned here sound like psychopaths who crave control. Over-protective is an understatement.

I'd understand if you were 18 or under but nearly 21? Wow. People of this generation are missing out on life because they don't want to upset their parents. It's really sad.

I suppose it's neuroticism. Everyone's worried these days. It's understandable in a way that parents are worried about their kids.

Anyway I can relate, I'm pretty sure I'm always doing what my parents want. I definitely want to go travelling, I'm looking at stuff now. I'm just hoping I can muster the balls to actually go do it.
Reply 22
I'm sorry, but you're nearly 21...I was married at 22. I've been going on holiday alone/with friends (camping) since 15. Spent a week in a b&b with my gf age 17. First holiday abroad at Uni, which was late by most: A lot of people go on a gap year before Uni. 18. A lot of people study abroad, a year of living on your own in a different country <20.

Why do you even ask your parents? I don't reacall ever consulting them before doing stuff after my 16th birthday!

Go on holiday. Tell them about it. If the "decide" you're not going... maybe it's time to move out (I assume that's the only reason they have so much input).
Original post by tomorrowtomorrow
I suppose it's neuroticism. Everyone's worried these days. It's understandable in a way that parents are worried about their kids.

Anyway I can relate, I'm pretty sure I'm always doing what my parents want. I definitely want to go travelling, I'm looking at stuff now. I'm just hoping I can muster the balls to actually go do it.

Do it. As harsh as it sounds, one day your parents wont be here and you'll regret always doing what they wanted or what you thought they wanted. You often don't get the chances later in life that you have when you're younger. Make the time count.
Do it. As harsh as it sounds, one day your parents wont be here and you'll regret always doing what they wanted or what you thought they wanted. You often don't get the chances later in life that you have when you're younger. Make the time count.

I want to. I kinda feel like I'm being an edgy rebellious kid though? I think maybe it would look bad to employers. Especially since I currently have a job, although not one I particularly am thrilled about (I was persuaded into it by my mum's friend... that was another decision in which I tried but failed to stand up for myself).

Quick Reply

Latest