The Student Room Group

Parents wouldn't let me travel alone.

So I've been wanting to go alone on holiday for ages. Yet my parents said no way.

i don't quite understand since I'm 20 nearly 21 and want to see the world.

my friend and I are going away next June if she can make it if not im planning on going somewhere.

I'm afraid that my parents with deny me to see more of the world. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Well you're 20 so you can do what you want technically...

I know what you mean though. I just turned 21 when I first travelled alone (female). I felt really young to do it, but I did it anyway. Parents are always going to be worried, you cant stop that. But you got to show them that you're responsible, and level-headed and know how to stay out of trouble. Make sure they know exactly where you are and how to contact you. Give them the addresses of where you're staying and constantly update them on where you are everyday to help put their mind at rest.

I travelled alone for 4 weeks around the USA and I'm a shy 4ft10-er. If i can do it, anyone can!
Reply 2
If your parents can stop you then you probably shouldn't be going.
I'll keep trying until they let me.

I've always wanted to see the world
Reply 4
Original post by Gemma picken
I'll keep trying until they let me.

I've always wanted to see the world

What makes you feel you need their permission?
Reply 5
Yes if they say no you can not disobey them, they brought you into this world and must show respect for them otherwise the will not forgive you.
Move out make some own money then you can live by their rules.

Are they saying 'no' for safety reasons? I'm currently on a year abroad for university, and it has been the best thing I've EVER done in my life. In the past 8 months, I've visited 7 countries. Move out as soon as you can, because if you don't do it while you are young you will regret it. I'm only 21 myself.
Reply 7
I'm just back from Toronto on my own. If you want to vacation on your own then just do it. Book your flights and hotel/apartment and a few days before you leave, let them know - chances are, if you've booked and paid for everything then they're not going to stop you last minute.

PS. I'm 18

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are saying no because they say it's very lonely alone and not recommended. Because I always make sure it's ok first with what ever I do. They are very protective of me like any parent would be
(edited 9 years ago)
They are saying no because they say it's very lonely alone and not recommended. Because I always make sure it's ok first with what ever I do. They are very protective of me like any parent would be

So their advice is no

But they are not actually stopping you
Basically yeah bit I've always wanted to travel and see more of the world.
Basically yeah bit I've always wanted to travel and see more of the world.

If you really feel like you want their approval then convince them...
It's not lonely. you meet so many people in hostels. I actually spent more time with people abroad solo then I do at home. How is it not reccomended? It's not recomended if you go to dangerous countries and do dangerous things. But many people travel solo and have the absolute best time of their lives. I think travelling solo is the best way to travel!!
Yeah I'm hoping to go away somewhere if my friend can't come.

Just need places to go really?
Yeah I'm hoping to go away somewhere if my friend can't come.

Just need places to go really?

Well theres plenty of places to go really... the worlds your oyster!!

What kind of places do you like? History/Beaches/Shopping/Scenic/Party places?
Don't mind beach or shopping. I'm quite lucky with places I've been too hoping to go away next year
If you want to travel alone, safety must come first because while traveling alone you come across unknown persons, places and situations.. This could become an adventure if you are traveling alone for the first time.
You should show them how resposible you are by looking up things in advance.
Don't mention anything until you have fully planned it! When you tell them, tell them exactly your schedule and plans, then they'll see it does look fun and sensible. I don't mean schedules such as ''At 15:00 we'll be...'' No, something more like... ''We'll stay here and we'll go to this place and that...''

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice will try it.
I feel sorry for all of you people. Really, I do.

It's one thing having parents who worry but most of the parents mentioned here sound like psychopaths who crave control. Over-protective is an understatement.

I'd understand if you were 18 or under but nearly 21? Wow. People of this generation are missing out on life because they don't want to upset their parents. It's really sad.

Quick Reply

Latest