The Student Room Group

SFE funding for a second degree in nursing? Help!!!!!

Hi,

I am looking at returning to university in September 2015 to do a child nursing course but would like to check my options for funding before applying as if there is no funding I will be unable to do the course. My situation is; I went to uni 2008-2011 and studied Television production. Had my little boy, and in 2012 returned to uni to do a PCET (post 16 ed training) quickly realised it's not for me, and also failed the course due to personal family circumstances. I am now ready to do what I always should have done in the first place and study nursing. In order to prepare for doing another degree I am going back to college to study human biology for which I have already been told I am able to apply for the 24+ learner loan and I will be able to get some help with childcare from the college as well as continuing work on weekends. What worries me is funding for the actual degree course as I have already had funding for 4 years and there is a lot of conflicting information available online. I have seen a couple of posts by other people saying that they received a reduced maintenance loan for their second degree as it was nursing which is exempt from the no funding rule? Can anyone confirm this or give any information otherwise? I was also wondering about the grants available (childcare and I think it's the lone parent grant?) are these still available to those studying a second degree? I am worried as I won't be able to work during the degree due to shift patterns while on placement? And so I will lose my working tax credits otherwise I wouldn't need to apply for a student loan alongside the funding available from the NHS bursary etc :/

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest