The Student Room Group

What to do about housemates that are trying (but failing somewhat) to bully me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pocalypse
You're black ffs. Don't try to act like you ain't dealt with issues like this back in da hood.

Great story would read again.
Original post by presidential_
what uni is this:confused:??

Brunel

Original post by De Chirico
Seriously tell them to go **** themselves. They need to be straightened out, crossed the line a long time ago.

You all keep saying this....yet I have. They either deny it or lie.
Original post by TK2 King Pin
And there it is, your answer!

That is literally the likely reason, and/or anything else that she might be jealous of. Unexplained nastiness is often just a result of jealousy and insecurity. Us human things are a lot more simple than we like to think.

Make sure your male housemates are backing you, guys are often better at putting issues like this to rest.

The guys are cowards or they have no authority. I remember when they were making fun of one of the guys saying he has nits.
Reply 62
This is why I don't live with students or strangers. Thank God for that.
Original post by Stinkum
This is why I don't live with students or strangers. Thank God for that.

Only half of them are students, Sarah is a social worker. Who do you live with?
Reply 64
Original post by brownbearxo
Only half of them are students, Sarah is a social worker. Who do you live with?

I've only ever lived with family, never with strangers, even all through university.

Anyway, I read your opening post, you might want to consider moving out, I know it sounds extreme. It's quite sad, sounds like a really horrible situation to be in. You're being treated very horribly. You have to ask yourself whether it's any good for you to keep living with nasty people who bully you.

Maybe you want to avoid the hassle and inconvenience of having to search for a different place to live. But what's going to happen if you continue to live with these people? They'll probably continue to treat you badly, might even get worse. Sounds like they're uncivilised low social class scum to be honest, no offense.
Original post by Bassetts
I'm not intentionally being a dick. But when I read your post, it came across to me that you hate your own gender, which is really immature and childish.

You know absolutely nothing about her, apart from the short piece she wrote here. How on Earth can you gather that from the few words she wrote? It doesn't at all sound like she's being immature, she's being targeted by bullies.
sorry you're going through this brownbearxo :frown:
Original post by Stinkum
I've only ever lived with family, never with strangers, even all through university.

Anyway, I read your opening post, you might want to consider moving out, I know it sounds extreme. It's quite sad, sounds like a really horrible situation to be in. You're being treated very horribly. You have to ask yourself whether it's any good for you to keep living with nasty people who bully you.

Maybe you want to avoid the hassle and inconvenience of having to search for a different place to live. But what's going to happen if you continue to live with these people? They'll probably continue to treat you badly, might even get worse. Sounds like they're uncivilised low social class scum to be honest, no offense.

I should Have stayed at home I know :frown:

Yeah ill move to a friends.

Lol no offence taken. I think they are too.
Original post by 2ndClass
sorry you're going through this brownbearxo :frown:

Original post by Jophesxi
You know absolutely nothing about her, apart from the short piece she wrote here. How on Earth can you gather that from the few words she wrote? It doesn't at all sound like she's being immature, she's being targeted by bullies.

Thanks for that guys :')
Reply 69
They will never be your friends. There is nothing you can do about that. All you can aim for is for them to be civil around you (and bitch behind your back - nothing you can do about that).

Basically you need to isolate Ana. She bullies you because she can get away with it and feels it gives her superior social status in the eyes of the others. If you isolate her socially, you remove that incentive for her to bully you.

I know you may not want to "play the race card" as they say, but if you have clear evidence of racism, call the police on Ana and make sure Sarah knows that Ana is a racist and you have evidence that you have given to the police. That will scare Sarah away from supporting Ana (you said Sarah is a social worker - if she got a police record for racism that could kill her career). It will not make Sarah like you, but it will mean that Ana will be isolated and that will make her stop.
I take your points. But the racist comments are not in writing, its literally one persons word against another.

Secondly Sarah has denied any involvement. I dont think anyone here is actually understanding me when I say this but I HAVE TRIED CONFRONTING THEM AND THEY DENY IT. Its not a case if me needing to stand up for myself at all.

Its also not that setup, everyone does their own thing so me rallying the other housemates is not exactly possible. I don't even have their numbers?

I dont really want to respond in kind, it will not help when I explain the situation.

Thank you for your comments though, if I had harder proof it would have been helpful.
Original post by llys
They will never be your friends. There is nothing you can do about that. All you can aim for is for them to be civil around you (and bitch behind your back - nothing you can do about that).

Basically you need to isolate Ana. She bullies you because she can get away with it and feels it gives her superior social status in the eyes of the others. If you isolate her socially, you remove that incentive for her to bully you.

I know you may not want to "play the race card" as they say, but if you have clear evidence of racism, call the police on Ana and make sure Sarah knows that Ana is a racist and you have evidence that you have given to the police. That will scare Sarah away from supporting Ana (you said Sarah is a social worker - if she got a police record for racism that could kill her career). It will not make Sarah like you, but it will mean that Ana will be isolated and that will make her stop.
Reply 71
Ah, but I never said anything about "confronting them", "standing up to them" or "rallying" the other housemates. Of course that almost never works. It's just PC bull**** that parents, teachers and socially clueless people come out with. Bullies are not nice and reasonable people. :lol:

I think that isolating Ana (via police involvement) would have worked. Not because it would have reminded everyone else of their non-existent "better nature", but because it would have scared them into it. But you would have needed hard proof for that.

Just soldier on then, or move out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 72
I live in a house with 6 other people I have never met before, four guys three girls.

The two other girls I never liked from the start but I was always civil with, as I'm not unnecessarily confrontational.

I get on with the guys a lot better. One of the guys who has since moved out told me that one of the girls, lets call her Ana, had made racist comments about me. I totally believe this as I have heard her say some outlandish things in the past before and just kind of :K:'d my way out of there. I ignored the racist thing as sadly its not my biggest problem right now, and racism isn't something I feel the need to respond to. Recently however Ana has been trying to intimidate me for some reason. She leaves bins outside my door, claiming that I am leaving them piled downstairs when I'm not. She also accuses me of leaving the kitchen in a mess, which I do not.

She also wrote some nasty anonymous notes around the flat, which were aimed at me. I removed them and told her that there are better ways of expressing concern if the kitchen was being left in a state. She responded by tonight confessing that she has blocked me from using the internet because "no one in the house likes you, and everyone thinks you're dirty". I pay £5 a month to her for it by the way. I just thought my laptop was having problems with the Super Hub, as this has happened in the past. I have been using my phone as a hotspot for ages now, but still paying for the internet as I didn't think it was her fault.

Bear in mind during all of this she has acted like my best friend until fairly recently. I have confronted her many times but she either responds with gibberish or denies it outright.

The other girl, lets call her Sarah, also leaves these rude passive aggressive notes around the house. She is the type to smile in your face but send round scathing emails with things she would never say out loud. :rolleyes: She also moves stuff around in the fridge, putting things that she doesn't want on her shelf onto my shelf, you know, petty things like that. I ignored her until I realised that she and Ana were seemingly ganging up on me, so I confronted her too and she denied all involvement with the notes and claimed she had no problems with me. This is clearly a lie, but at least she knows I have no problems addressing her bad attitude, and she has not left any rude notes since. I personally think she took an instant dislike to me because I am black, the first day I met her she was very condescending to me, I can't think of any other reason. She's not from London either, and I have experienced similar from people who aren't as used to London's multiculturalism.

Now, I should probably add that Ana has mental health issues, I'm not sure what they are. She also has a drug problem. Not that it excuses anything but due to that I think people in the house sort of ignore her weirdness. Theres a guy in the house who is always trying to help me out with her, as I think he has lived with her before.

What do I do to sort this? It makes things quite tense in the house and I'm sick of going up to them and asking what their problem is as they won't be straight with me. I have tried talking to them and ignoring them, and while I don't feel particularly intimidated, their attempts are quite upsetting. I mind my own business in this house and I'm actually the cleanest. Everyone else is really lax with cleanliness lets just say. Its a bit pathetic really.

Thanks if you read this, I know its long :smile: Also, if a mod thinks this should be moved to another forum fine, I wasn't sure where to put it.

She sounds mental, you don't owe her any help. She's more or less stealing £5 every month from you aswell. Maybe she needs to be educated on multiculturalism. I don't really know what to suggest but props to you for putting up with that crap. Have you complained to an official or anything? She needs to back off, seriously.
Original post by Mannz
She sounds mental, you don't owe her any help. She's more or less stealing £5 every month from you aswell. Maybe she needs to be educated on multiculturalism. I don't really know what to suggest but props to you for putting up with that crap. Have you complained to an official or anything? She needs to back off, seriously.

I have informed the residence manager but she's yet to respond.

All Im thinking of now is my move out date! And that I should live alone.

Original post by llys
Ah, but I never said anything about "confronting them", "standing up to them" or "rallying" the other housemates. Of course that almost never works. It's just PC bull**** that parents, teachers and socially clueless people come out with. Bullies are not nice and reasonable people. :lol:

I think that isolating Ana (via police involvement) would have worked. Not because it would have reminded everyone else of their non-existent "better nature", but because it would have scared them into it. But you would have needed hard proof for that.

Just soldier on then, or move out.

I will just soldier it on. Nothing else to do really. If i believed in karma I'd say ill leave it to that but I dont. Her life is pretty sorry anyway from what I can see. Once I leave Ill be in a much better position than her job wise, financially and in so many other ways.
Reply 74

Now, I should probably add that Ana has mental health issues, I'm not sure what they are. She also has a drug problem. Not that it excuses anything but due to that I think people in the house sort of ignore her weirdness. Theres a guy in the house who is always trying to help me out with her, as I think he has lived with her before.

What do I do to sort this?

I think you already know what to do. Either plant some drugs in her room and call the police or just call the police on her while she's using drugs. Result: She gets kicked out. And the whole problem goes away save Sarah. Sarah derives her power from Anna so she won't give you trouble when Anna is gone, you could even bully her.
Reply 75
Original post by Red one
I think you already know what to do. Either plant some drugs in her room and call the police or just call the police on her while she's using drugs. Result: She gets kicked out. And the whole problem goes away save Sarah. Sarah derives her power from Anna so she won't give you trouble when Anna is gone, you could even bully her.

OMG yes, genius over here!!
What ethnicity or race are these two girls?
Original post by Red one

Lol thanks for your input.

Original post by SuperDuperNoob
What ethnicity or race are these two girls?

Ana is from Luxembourg, Sarah is white.

Ana is from Luxembourg, Sarah is white.
Like what's his name said, just report her when she's taking drugs... they will deport her in no time!
Reply 79

I'm actually serious, you need to get a backbone ASAP and stand up to them. "I'm not confrontational" is not an excuse to allow people to walk all over you especially at the place which you call home. I also understand that you don't want to invoke the race card however sometimes you have to for your own safety. You've allowed them to run rampant and unchecked when you didn't address the problem the first time Anna tried pushing you around so now they think it's okay.

You have to either move out or stand up to them. Choosing to co-exist with people who psychologically abuse you akin to a "faithful" spouse in an abusive relationship is basically living in denial. They will never like you, they will never be your friends.

I realise some of what I said is hard to swallow but I feel like you need to hear it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending