The Student Room Group

What to do about housemates that are trying (but failing somewhat) to bully me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brownbearxo

This is very impractical financially and logistically.

What kind of contract do you have? Is the residence manager your landlord?

Tit-for-tat bitchiness won't get you anywhere, it'll just escalate the situation.
Original post by pjm600

Tit-for-tat bitchiness won't get you anywhere, it'll just escalate the situation.

I know, good thing I havent taken part in any :s-smilie:

A normal tenancy agreement with a private landlord.
Surely this can be solved by reporting her for drugs and racial abuse?

Firstly, you should document her behaviour over a month, then have the housemates, who are on your side but too chicken to confront this issue verbally, sign & date the document. Secondly, take pictures of anything you believe she is doing. For example the nasty notes. Thirdly why not record when she is abusing you verbally? Although you may not get all of the event you could easily have time to catch most of her rants. Sounds like the type of person who would not stop.
Reply 103
:biggrin: that would be funny! She hasn't made them to my face, another reason why I let it go. Its hard to prove. She hasn't tried the bin thing again since I confronted her about it, if she does it again I fully intend on upturning the bin outside her door.

As for the internet, anything I would do would affect blameless housemates that are also paying.

Worth talking to your other housemates about the internet.
Ask in a loud voice when she's around "has X blocked anyone else laptop from the router"?

I would tell her when you are on your own she can either turn the internet back on or you'll be cutting through the phone line outside and no one will have internet.
If she tries to play tough and say you'll have to pay for it. Just say "maybe... but there's what you know and what you can prove" and follow that up with "If you want a war, you can have one. But you're going to lose...".

Presumably she's also paying the bill for the phone internet? If that's the case, you can start phoning the speaking clock in Australia for 2 hours at a time. It cuts the call off after 2 hours. I know this because I've done it when I had a dickhead to deal with when I was at uni. Dead easy to rack up an £800 phone bill in a month or so. :wink:
Reply 104
Original post by pjm600

Depends how far you're prepared to go. :wink:
I live in a house with 6 other people I have never met before, four guys three girls.

The two other girls I never liked from the start but I was always civil with, as I'm not unnecessarily confrontational.

I get on with the guys a lot better. One of the guys who has since moved out told me that one of the girls, lets call her Ana, had made racist comments about me. I totally believe this as I have heard her say some outlandish things in the past before and just kind of :K:'d my way out of there. I ignored the racist thing as sadly its not my biggest problem right now, and racism isn't something I feel the need to respond to. Recently however Ana has been trying to intimidate me for some reason. She leaves bins outside my door, claiming that I am leaving them piled downstairs when I'm not. She also accuses me of leaving the kitchen in a mess, which I do not.

She also wrote some nasty anonymous notes around the flat, which were aimed at me. I removed them and told her that there are better ways of expressing concern if the kitchen was being left in a state. She responded by tonight confessing that she has blocked me from using the internet because "no one in the house likes you, and everyone thinks you're dirty". I pay £5 a month to her for it by the way. I just thought my laptop was having problems with the Super Hub, as this has happened in the past. I have been using my phone as a hotspot for ages now, but still paying for the internet as I didn't think it was her fault.

Bear in mind during all of this she has acted like my best friend until fairly recently. I have confronted her many times but she either responds with gibberish or denies it outright.

The other girl, lets call her Sarah, also leaves these rude passive aggressive notes around the house. She is the type to smile in your face but send round scathing emails with things she would never say out loud. :rolleyes: She also moves stuff around in the fridge, putting things that she doesn't want on her shelf onto my shelf, you know, petty things like that. I ignored her until I realised that she and Ana were seemingly ganging up on me, so I confronted her too and she denied all involvement with the notes and claimed she had no problems with me. This is clearly a lie, but at least she knows I have no problems addressing her bad attitude, and she has not left any rude notes since. I personally think she took an instant dislike to me because I am black, the first day I met her she was very condescending to me, I can't think of any other reason. She's not from London either, and I have experienced similar from people who aren't as used to London's multiculturalism.

Now, I should probably add that Ana has mental health issues, I'm not sure what they are. She also has a drug problem. Not that it excuses anything but due to that I think people in the house sort of ignore her weirdness. Theres a guy in the house who is always trying to help me out with her, as I think he has lived with her before.

What do I do to sort this? It makes things quite tense in the house and I'm sick of going up to them and asking what their problem is as they won't be straight with me. I have tried talking to them and ignoring them, and while I don't feel particularly intimidated, their attempts are quite upsetting. I mind my own business in this house and I'm actually the cleanest. Everyone else is really lax with cleanliness lets just say. Its a bit pathetic really.

Thanks if you read this, I know its long :smile: Also, if a mod thinks this should be moved to another forum fine, I wasn't sure where to put it.

A whole essay? Come one now

Posted from TSR Mobile
No my tenancy ends in a couple of months so it wouldn't make sense to leave.

I was considering moving to a friends yes, I just didn't want to be a nuisance to anyone. But it seems like the best option here. I'm also going to the Advice and Representation Centre on Monday. Thanks for your suggestions!

Sounds like staying with a friend is the best option then :smile: maybe you can return the favour and have them stay with you? Your housemates probably won't be so overt if there is someone else there.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Reformed2010
Surely this can be solved by reporting her for drugs and racial abuse?

Firstly, you should document her behaviour over a month, then have the housemates, who are on your side but too chicken to confront this issue verbally, sign & date the document. Secondly, take pictures of anything you believe she is doing. For example the nasty notes. Thirdly why not record when she is abusing you verbally? Although you may not get all of the event you could easily have time to catch most of her rants. Sounds like the type of person who would not stop.

To who? Where is the evidence? I have a small amount of evidence but that is relating only to the internet. The notes were chucked out or wiped away. I will try to record her though, although that requires a degree of planning that does not really fit into our arguments. It is worth a shot though, thanks!

Original post by precious maro
A whole essay? Come one now

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a law student, it comes naturally darling.

Original post by JC.
Worth talking to your other housemates about the internet.
Ask in a loud voice when she's around "has X blocked anyone else laptop from the router"?

I would tell her when you are on your own she can either turn the internet back on or you'll be cutting through the phone line outside and no one will have internet.
If she tries to play tough and say you'll have to pay for it. Just say "maybe... but there's what you know and what you can prove" and follow that up with "If you want a war, you can have one. But you're going to lose...".

Presumably she's also paying the bill for the phone internet? If that's the case, you can start phoning the speaking clock in Australia for 2 hours at a time. It cuts the call off after 2 hours. I know this because I've done it when I had a dickhead to deal with when I was at uni. Dead easy to rack up an £800 phone bill in a month or so. :wink:

:laugh: That phone one....I'm not saying whether I will or I won't be doing that. :ninjagirl:

Also I am the first to move out, I'll snip it before I leave! Then they all have to pay for it :h:

Original post by delicious one
Sounds like staying with a friend is the best option then :smile: maybe you can return the favour and have them stay with you? Your housemates probably won't be so overt if there is someone else there.

Good luck :smile:

(edited 9 years ago)
A question btw,

seeing as you're cool with the guys, why aren't they taking your side or having a talk with those bitchy girls?
Original post by 2ndClass
A question btw,

seeing as you're cool with the guys, why aren't they taking your side or having a talk with those bitchy girls?

When I say cool, we aren't best mates. But I have no issues with them. There is one, who told me that Ana had locked me out of the internet and tried to login to the Virgin internet management page or something to fix it for me, but he told me not to tell her it was him who told me. (and he couldn't log into the management page either) I just told him thanks but no thanks lol. I'm not about to start creeping about in my own house because he's too scared to back me up properly.
personally i'd leave and try and cut the contract and stay with friends - is it almost the end of the academic year there? cos then you'll be soon free from it
Original post by marcus2001

she means that including her there's 4 guys 3 girls -.-
That is very similar to my situation right now. Like Ana there is a girl I live with who has mental health problems and hates my guts for no reason. Well I think it's because I refused to date this guy she wanted me to date when we were sort of friends. She does pretty much the exact same things, and has another girl in on it. I swear I am the cleanest person in the house yet I am blamed for all the mess. Both are cowards though and have never said anything to my face, just notes and fb messages, which is funny as I'm half their size and calm (they're both like 6ft and you can always hear them screaming or shouting). However lately I've found out that my laptop won't connect to the internet there, just my phone, and I know there's nothing wrong with my laptop, how exactly did she stop you from using the internet? All I know is that she has the router.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending