The Student Room Group

Biggest and smallest a-level classes

Scroll to see replies

Biggest class is A2 Geography (24 people)
Smallest class is A2 Literature (18 people)
History - 24
Critical Thinking (if that counts) - 8
Otherwise, my smallest class is Economics - 18. The largest class in the Sixth Form is Geography, which is over 50, I believe, because the school didn't have enough teachers and they accepted too many people (the grade boundary to get in was a B but for some reason some people got in with Ds).
Reply 42
Biggest: A2 Biology and A2 Chemistry have roughly the same at around 19. There are around four classes for each.
Smallest: A2 Physics with 13. The other class has around 12, too. Seems to be a relatively popular subject at my college which is good.
Reply 43
I don't get why Geography is so popular, particularly with girls. I found it so boring at GCSE that I had to drop it. I would've rather died than finish the course.
Original post by Iridescenzo
I don't get why Geography is so popular, particularly with girls. I found it so boring at GCSE that I had to drop it. I would've rather died than finish the course.

It's a super super super easy A Level that's still respected so :tongue:
Biggest- A2 Business (18)
Smallest - A2 Biology (12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by L'Evil Fish

It still has the 'rower's degree' moniker attached to it, though, not that it matters.
Original post by Iridescenzo
It still has the 'rower's degree' moniker attached to it, though, not that it matters.

I think it's the type of subjects people think is 'cool' to do as well
Reply 48
Biggest - Psychology (AS) - 12
Smallest - English (A2) - 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by Paralove
39??? How?!

I went to college last year and returned to my school to do sixth form this year and they had a lot more people than usual subscribing to sixth form and didn't think to cut down classes and its awful, we get no 1/1 help from teachers in English language, my teacher during the year has NEVER seen me 1/1 and in my mock I got a U which I'm now trying to get up, but I'll probably drop after this year. Classes that big just don't work for A-level and disadvantage everyone
Largest - History - 5
Smallest - German - Just me :yep:

Oh, and these are Advanced Higher classes which could be roughly equated to A2 level!
biggest english literature 20
smallest history 3
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Didn't you drop it? lol
Reply 53
Original post by Alisa59
Omg. Why is geography in your area so popular? xD
In here, there are no students doing A-level geography next year.
Maths and sciences are really popular.

not sure, when i did it at gcse we had 3 classes with 30 students in each. it might be cause my school has 2 really good geography teachers who make the lessons so much fun and i think that helps. i also live in cornwall so that might have something to do with it
Original post by thatitootoo
Didn't you drop it? lol

Yeah, because it was so boring (and too easy) :lol: I changed to biology
Reply 55
I go to a private school sixth form that is part of a secondary school, so my whole Lower Sixth year consists of about 118 people.

My largest class is Philosophy & Ethics, in which we have 11.
My smallest class is Economics, with whom I share my lesson with 6 other people.

However, before I swapped A Level Maths, I was in a Business set of 5 people (including myself). :smile:
Original post by Emma:-)
What was your biggest and smallest a-level class?
Which subject was it and how many where there?

Biggest = Geography = 27
Smallest = French = 5
Original post by Emma:-)
What was your biggest and smallest a-level class?
Which subject was it and how many where there?

Smallest: Mandarin (3)
Biggest: Eng lit (11)
My smallest this year is 8 (Music), and my biggest is Biology (13). We had 20 in Maths AS, which I found really awful!
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Largest - History - 5
Smallest - German - Just me :yep:

Oh, and these are Advanced Higher classes which could be roughly equated to A2 level!

How was it just having you in the class?

Quick Reply

Latest