The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
- Because it's boring, stressful, exhausting and doesn't have any positive effects for many people

I spent a month lifting and excercising an hour every day. I lost about a stone, but I just hated it, I hated the diet, and I hated having to drag myself away from whatever I was doing.

You lost a stone?

Were you trying to lose weight and keep any (little) muscle mass you had?
Reply 41
[QUOTE="Tyrion_Lannister;47521243"]
Original post by bertstare
Because you seem to think that when girls lift weights, they end up looking like this:

When actually the average female who lifts weights regularly will end up looking something like this (she's a figure competitor):

And I'm sure we can all agree the girl in the second photo looks great[/QUOTE
I'm fully aware that when women lift they don't get huge they get that "toned" look, but I personally don't like it. I think it looks hard and masculine. I can understand that some people are into that though

Personally I prefer intelligent over gym-inclined, any day. The second girl reminds me of one of those beach-bunnies from Baywatch that couldn't spell their own name and although that's really shallow and aesthetic, isn't having a career based on the chance genetics that land a person in the physical circumstances they are in kinda shallow and aesthetic?

I find people attractive who say something I've not heard before, or who do interesting things and stand out of stereotype. I couldn't care less whether they work out or not.
Reply 42
Original post by ChickenMadness
tbh brah. I started because I live in a bad area and didn't want to be beaten up all the time. Then it turned into a very enjoyable lifestyle.

Female attention is just a bonus.

Did you mean to quote someone else? I don't think I mentioned reasons as to why people lift weights.
[QUOTE="Othelo;47521425"]
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Personally I prefer intelligent over gym-inclined, any day. The second girl reminds me of one of those beach-bunnies from Baywatch that couldn't spell their own name and although that's really shallow and aesthetic, isn't having a career based on the chance genetics that land a person in the physical circumstances they are in kinda shallow and aesthetic?

I find people attractive who say something I've not heard before, or who do interesting things and stand out of stereotype. I couldn't care less whether they work out or not.

It's funny how you think gym-inclined and intelligence are mutually exclusive.

I'd say that comment hit you right in the face.
Original post by CJKay
Edited; see above. I followed exactly the same schedule as my Dad - the difference being that he loved it and continues to do it, and I hated and won't be doing it again.

You lost a stone, so it did have a positive effect. If you felt it wasn't worth it that's one thing, but saying it doesn't have any benefits is another
Reply 45
Original post by manchesterunited15
Lol what? Only if you're doing it completely wrong.

Boring: Fair enough
Stressful: Again, if you do it right it won't be, it will reduce stress
Exhausting: No ****, it's exercise.

It definitely didn't reduce stress. It did for my Dad, but it certainly didn't for me.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Did you mean to quote someone else? I don't think I mentioned reasons as to why people lift weights.

lol ye i did quote the wrong person actually.
Original post by CJKay
It definitely didn't reduce stress. It did for my Dad, but it certainly didn't for me.

Looks at signature listing computer stats
Looks at post
Seems legit
So the second girl in that pic looks hard and masculine? Now I've literally heard everything
n

To me. She looks too big muscularly and too hard. Prefer a more womanly figure. But it's just preference
[QUOTE="Othelo;47521425"]

Your prejudices and stereotypes don't determine whether someone is intelligent or not. Crawl back under your rock.
Original post by CJKay

You're going to get a load of weight lifters telling you how **** you are because you have a different interest.
Being in shape and being strong makes my job easier.
Its something to do, that doesnt involve drink or drugs.
I can eat pretty much what i want and as much of it,
i look better for it, and feel better for it.
lol ye i did quote the wrong person actually.

The quoting has been messed up in that chain of comments

Your prejudices and stereotypes don't determine whether someone is intelligent or not. Crawl back under your rock.

I never said it did , that's not my post...
Why wouldn't people lift weights is a far more perplexing question

-Takes at max 1 hour per day, and is great stress relief
-Allows you to eat a ****load of food and not get fat
-Various health benefits
-Gets you physically strong
-Makes you look much better, for both guys (obviously) and even for women (squats = win)

So yeah, why wouldn't you lift?

Winning post is winning.
Original post by Othelo

Prize for the most irrelevant post of the week

The biggest guys I know in real life all study top degrees and are doing brilliant for themselves

I didn't realise taking an hour out of your day to do something beneficial will leave you a slobbering, drooling gym rat
Reply 56
Insecurities due to societal pressures and social constructs?
To me. She looks too big muscularly and too hard. Prefer a more womanly figure. But it's just preference

too big muscularly and too hard

wut
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
Insecurities due to societal pressures and social constructs?

Cringe
Original post by Othelo
Nobody wants to admit to finding the geeky awkward guy/girl insanely hot because wider society is a judgemental idiot that doesn't have the first idea what individuals are all about.

No, geeky, awkward, out-of-shape people are just unattractive. There's no facade, you're just deluded.

I guarantee if you built some muscle and learnt to be sociable you would stop feeling so bitter and insecure.

Latest