The Student Room Group

How important is your 4th AS for the London College Universities? 2015 Entry

Hey guys

I'm currently studying AS Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Computing & I am aspiring to apply for Biochemistry at the London Colleges (Imperial, UCL, King's, Queen Mary).

My aspiration grades at A2 are
Biology - A*/A, Chemistry - A, Geography - A

I have over 100 hours of work experience so far in a local Pharmacy as well as shadowing consultants in the Neurology ward of my local hospital.
I have keen interests in Oncology, Regenerative Medicine, Music, Road Cycling and Badminton.
I have applied for a research placement with the Nuffield Foundation to work with Stem Cells/Cancer Biology Techniques.
I play 5 instruments (Guitar, Bass Guitar, Violin, Piano and Drum Kit), I play in the school orchestra and I have my own Jazz ensemble who are going to be hopefully, recording some music in the near future.

Half way through the year, I was certain that I wanted to drop Computing as I didn't particularly feel as engaged within the lesson, besides a deteriorating interest and ability to comprehend the 'teaching' taking place.
I feel very confident in achieving the AAA requirement for Biochemistry at the London Uni's however I understand that they require a 'pass' in a 4th AS level. Realistically speaking, I know that at best I can achieve a B, more likely a C in computing and I was wondering if that would really hinder my chances of getting any offers when I apply later this year.

Some of you make think that I am just slacking or being unjust and that I should just revise but the reality is that it is the first time that the course has been taught at my school and to be honest, it just hasn't worked out. (Several people have dropped out before the exam altogether).

If my 4th AS is for the worse, I am possibly thinking of taking a 5th AS alongside my A2's as an Independent student (English Language - which was actually in my AS options before I decided to swap it out), outside of school so that in the future my qualifications look more rigid across the board.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
You're over thinking it. They don't really care. Those who do want just a pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an E in maths at AS. I received offers from both UCL and Imperial :smile:
Reply 3
Congratulations! What did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
I got an E in maths at AS. I received offers from both UCL and Imperial :smile:

What course?
Original post by BlackLipBastard
What course?

Imperial: Biology with Spanish for science

UCL: MSci Biological Sciences
Reply 6
Imperial: Biology with Spanish for science

UCL: MSci Biological Sciences

What A2 subjects are you currently studying for? :smile:
Original post by Djent
What A2 subjects are you currently studying for? :smile:

Biology, Chemistry and Spanish :smile:
Hey, if I were you I would drop computing. As far as I know, universities really only care about 3 subjects and your grades in them. If you drop it, you will be able to focus on the three subjects and aim for those A*s that the top unis are looking for! I did 4 a levels and got 4A's, but I reckon if I had done 3 I might have got an A*. However I really enjoyed art alongside maths, Chem, and Biol, so I guess it also depends on whether you are enjoying the subject much, as to whether you continue with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Chocolatefrogs
Hey, if I were you I would drop computing. As far as I know, universities really only care about 3 subjects and your grades in them. If you drop it, you will be able to focus on the three subjects and aim for those A*s that the top unis are looking for! I did 4 a levels and got 4A's, but I reckon if I had done 3 I might have got an A*. However I really enjoyed art alongside maths, Chem, and Biol, so I guess it also depends on whether you are enjoying the subject much, as to whether you continue with it?

Hey there

I am DEFINITELY going to be dropping computing next year, my query was whether or not my 4th A Level would affect my chance of getting any uni offers. I am a science minded person so I definitely do enjoy my 3 future A2 subjects. Computing was just a random choice I guess.
Reply 10
Biology, Chemistry and Spanish :smile:

Do Imperial ask about your 4th AS at all? Do you have to declare it on your UCAS?
Original post by Djent
Do Imperial ask about your 4th AS at all? Do you have to declare it on your UCAS?

I emailed Imperial a few weeks after results day asking if it would put me at any disadvantage (I was that worried) for biotechnology and they pretty much told me it would put me at a disadvantage as they were really looking for maths. I then asked if I would be at a disadvantage if I applied for biology with Spanish and they said my application would this time be considered equally.

I didn't mention maths in my PS but I did declare it on UCAS and all my modular grades too. I don't know what my form tutor put in my reference but from the moment I sent my application to when I declined their offer, it wasn't asked about or mentioned at all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest