The Student Room Group

Eurovision: A vehicle used to promote political/cultural hegemony, or a music contest

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by j.sethzai
Watching Eurovision tonight was cringeworthy to say the least. The fact that Austria won, whose representative was a transvestite (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/eurovision-2014-semifinal-two-conchita-wurst-to-perform-at-saturdays-final-9341648.html) says more about Europe's ambitions to impose cultural and social norms, than it does about her ability as a musician.

Voting is subjective, but was she REALLY the best singer? Is Eurovision really about the music/act, or is it a means of expressing political grievances/cultural hegemony through the veil of music? A glance on Conchita's Facebook pages leads me to think that it's the latter; one particular status of hers expresses her view that going through to the final is a victory for EQUALITY, PEACE and RESPECT. Is she a pawn used by Eurocrats to promote the values which they deem acceptable in Europe?

What is Eurovision? I think tonight's result reduces its credibility as a musical contest and I certainly won't be tuning in in the future.

Thoughts?

It was never originally a contest per se, but a technical test to see if they could co-ordinate live TV across multiple states.
Reply 21
Original post by Dez
Can't it be about both?

Conchita is a very good singer, definitely one of the best in the contest this year. The song was well-written, not manufactured pop. And despite being a solo act, they still managed to make it visually interesting on stage.

Sweden's act was very samey by comparison. It was good, but lacked any real novelty. And Netherlands did a really good job, but were perhaps not quite Eurovision-ey enough to win.

At the same time, I'm sure some people voted for Austria simply because the performer was TG. And why not? People can vote for whoever they want, for whatever reason they want. Freedom of choice is what it's all about. They have just as much right to vote for Conchita for being a drag act as Conchita herself has a right to try and win the contest.

I voted for the song, not the act. But I'm glad she won as well because it shows acceptance and tolerance at an international level. We've come a long way in the past few decades and there's nothing wrong in celebrating that.

I understand where you're coming from, but this idea would skew the contest horribly in my opinion. The UK has been complaining for years because of the bloc-voting antics of some nations, leading calls for greater objectivity. If countries continue to vote based on their political/social preferences, rather than on any credible, music/act-based reason(s), it just makes the contest boring, doesn't it? It would be a musical way of expressing political grievances...
You sound like the life of the party.
Reply 23
Original post by brownbearxo
You sound like the life of the party.

I'm presuming you are? That's when you're NOT on TSR on a Saturday night?

Yes, but should that be the role of Eurovision? Or is Eurovision a musical contest? That's my question. If we blur the lines between the two, are we not opening ourselves up for indoctrination dare I say, where contests such as these are used to promote particular political/social values?

im sure people used to ask the same thing when non-white people won things
I understand where you're coming from, but this idea would skew the contest horribly in my opinion. The UK has been complaining for years because of the bloc-voting antics of some nations, leading calls for greater objectivity. If countries continue to vote based on their political/social preferences, rather than on any credible, music/act-based reason(s), it just makes the contest boring, doesn't it? It would be a musical way of expressing political grievances...

All countries now combine the public votes with those of a musical jury, made up of music professionals in each country in a bit to counter those bloc-voting antics. Hasn't really worked though.

But without the public feeling like they're part of it, nobody will watch and if nobody watches, it doesn't get shown.
Reply 26

That's true. The judge panels are supposed to make up for that, but at the end of the day all the people rating these acts are human, and we all have our biases. There's no way you can objectively score a contest like Eurovision no matter how it's organised, so better to leave the freedom in place IMO, along with the flaws that brings.
I'm presuming you are? That's when you're NOT on TSR on a Saturday night?

Oh I am. After my final exams you'll know all about it. Or rather, you won't :wink:
Reply 28
Original post by Dez
That's true. The judge panels are supposed to make up for that, but at the end of the day all the people rating these acts are human, and we all have our biases. There's no way you can objectively score a contest like Eurovision no matter how it's organised, so better to leave the freedom in place IMO, along with the flaws that brings.

Fair point, but you can't deny that there's been a horrific level of prejudice against UK acts in recent years (based largely because of our perceived stance on Europe), can you?

I guess it just goes back to my point that eurovision is less about the music, more about the politics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27339143
Reply 29
Original post by brownbearxo
Oh I am. After my final exams you'll know all about it. Or rather, you won't :wink:

Great. Well done for feeling the need to justify yourself to a stranger on TSR...insecurities much?
Original post by PurpleSquid
im sure people used to ask the same thing when non-white people won things

With good reason. For instance:
Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/academy-members-voted-for-oscarwinning-12-years-a-slave-without-watching-it-9177352.html

"'Two Oscar voters privately admitted that they didn’t see 12 Years A Slave, thinking it would be upsetting. But they said they voted for it anyway because, given the film’s social relevance, they felt obligated to do so.'"

The "progressive" "liberal" agenda is laden with tokenism and subversion of everything they can possibly politicise.

I wasn't aware that Eurovision was deemed anything but a joke at any point in history however, unless we're now expected to think it is relevant in some way. It's a freak show.
Reply 31
Original post by Dez

This is also another article I recommend you read about vote rigging in Eurovision:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26081002
Found this on Twitter:

:rofl: Ladies and gentlemen, the battle-lines for the 2015 general election have been drawn...
Reply 33
Fair point, but you can't deny that there's been a horrific level of prejudice against UK acts in recent years (based largely because of our perceived stance on Europe), can you?

I guess it just goes back to my point that eurovision is less about the music, more about the politics.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27339143

I can't say I care very much about the whole political-voting-bloc thing, personally. I'm not sure it's a problem that warrants fixing, given how much upheaval it would likely cause to the contest. Eurovision's entertaining, that's all it needs to be. Fairness is less of a priority.
Reply 34
Original post by Dez
I can't say I care very much about the whole political-voting-bloc thing, personally. I'm not sure it's a problem that warrants fixing, given how much upheaval it would likely cause to the contest. Eurovision's entertaining, that's all it needs to be. Fairness is less of a priority.

Fair enough. For me though, I find it a huge shame that Eurovision has become so politicised in recent years.
Original post by thesabbath
With good reason. For instance:
Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/academy-members-voted-for-oscarwinning-12-years-a-slave-without-watching-it-9177352.html

"'Two Oscar voters privately admitted that they didn’t see 12 Years A Slave, thinking it would be upsetting. But they said they voted for it anyway because, given the film’s social relevance, they felt obligated to do so.'"

The "progressive" "liberal" agenda is laden with tokenism and subversion of everything they can possibly politicise.

I wasn't aware that Eurovision was deemed anything but a joke at any point in history however, unless we're now expected to think it is relevant in some way. It's a freak show.

how is this any different to when people vote for people they find attractive or even when people vote for their families/friends?
people can vote for whatever reason they want. the bottom line is that they voted. they weren't forced to
It's complete ****, and if you like it then you're one of the many things that is wrong with society. Period.
Watching Eurovision tonight was cringeworthy to say the least. The fact that Austria won, whose representative was a transvestite (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/eurovision-2014-semifinal-two-conchita-wurst-to-perform-at-saturdays-final-9341648.html) says more about Europe's ambitions to impose cultural and social norms, than it does about her ability as a musician.

Voting is subjective, but was she REALLY the best singer? Is Eurovision really about the music/act, or is it a means of expressing political grievances/cultural hegemony through the veil of music? A glance on Conchita's Facebook pages leads me to think that it's the latter; one particular status of hers expresses her view that going through to the final is a victory for EQUALITY, PEACE and RESPECT. Is she a pawn used by Eurocrats to promote the values which they deem acceptable in Europe?

What is Eurovision? I think tonight's result reduces its credibility as a musical contest and I certainly won't be tuning in in the future.

Thoughts?

Since when do the very best singers win Eurovision? There's been numerous years where I have considered other contestants to have been better, musically, than the winner.

I dare say that you haven't posted threads like this in the past when you have thought the same. Because a transvestite won, it must be a big conspiracy. :rolleyes:
Original post by PurpleSquid
how is this any different to when people vote for people they find attractive or even when people vote for their families/friends?
people can vote for whatever reason they want. the bottom line is that they voted. they weren't forced to

The case I cited casts heavy doubts on the Oscars credibility, for one. "Social themes" being considered more important than the quality of the movie. Not that the Oscars, like Eurovision, have any importance in my personal view, but most people lap up whatever is promoted so if there's a political agenda behind allegedly impartial "awards" or "prizes" (with their corresponding mainstream media blanket coverage afterwards) then its certainly worth knowing about, which is, presumably, the point the OP was intending to explore.
I thought the crowd booing Russia at every opportunity was pathetic and disgusting.

I felt sorry for the Russian girls - they were 17 and just trying to represent their country at a singing competition, I doubt they have much input in Russia's foreign affairs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending