The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel: Geography A1

Scroll to see replies

I got south west and 5.1km

Original post by CurleysWife
I have a feeling it was south west...
Maybe they'll be nice and give me the mark for explaining why I thought that.

Original post by yellowcopter
When I saw today's paper I wanted to kiss it, Section B was like every dream question put together. :tongue: I think I got maybe a B, even an A grade! :eek: I loved that easy 9 marker!

Section A wasn't too bad, maybe my eyes were deceiving me but there seemed to be a lot less stuff on the OS Map, and the OS Map questions such as distance and locating the Information Point grid reference/finding the Camp Site on that grid reference were a lot more simple than I was expecting. That 6 marker was great also since it didn't involve any OS Map use thank god. I just waffled about using historical maps and records to detect changes and effects. :smile:

I put South West also. :tongue: My reason was because there was 'linear housing' like in the picture. I had no idea what else to write. :ahee:

My ruler was on 10.5? Hopefully they'll allow 1 either way.
I hope I can make it up with A2 and A3, as well as good coursework.

Original post by Lauren1998
I put south West because to the Sw on the map there was trees with a settlement right adjacent, like in the image.. And for the distance I got exactly 5km?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you guys put about using ARC GIS and the internet to look into the risks and impacts of flooding?

I firstly explained what GIS was and that historic information about flooding could be layered.

I then went onto how population of the area could be layered, and any possible places to go when evacuated in times of flood.

I think I then waffled on about how the rising sea levels could be layered or something lol...

This was something that my teacher didn't spend much time on.
What did you guys put about using ARC GIS and the internet to look into the risks and impacts of flooding?

I firstly explained what GIS was and that historic information about flooding could be layered.

I then went onto how population of the area could be layered, and any possible places to go when evacuated in times of flood.

I think I then waffled on about how the rising sea levels could be layered or something lol...

Literally the same as you. I found I was able to easy waffle all the random information that was in the back of my brain and I remember learning when learning Unit 1 late Year 10/early Year 11. :tongue:

CRAP I forgot to write about layering! Why was there no rainforests :'( and how long did you get the river?
Original post by yellowcopter
Literally the same as you. I found I was able to easy waffle all the random information that was in the back of my brain and I remember learning when learning Unit 1 late Year 10/early Year 11. :tongue:

Did you do the AQA B2/B3 exams today as well?
What did you guys put for the question 'describe the pattern of roads below Mark' - all I could say was they were straight and spread out/dispersed?

Glad nothing about rainforests came up, I was more confident with sustainable traffic and wrote nearly 3 sides on London Congestion charge and the guided busway between my town and Cambridge....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hated transport, was much better at rainforests... I put what type of roads that were there, that they all separated out and then all re joined to cross the river?

What did you guys put for the question 'describe the pattern of roads below Mark' - all I could say was they were straight and spread out/dispersed?

Glad nothing about rainforests came up, I was more confident with sustainable traffic and wrote nearly 3 sides on London Congestion charge and the guided busway between my town and Cambridge....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you do the AQA B2/B3 exams today as well?

Nope, had Edexcel Biology B1, don't do AQA. :smile:

I wrote about congestion charging in London, and the Park and Ride scheme in Cambridge.

I wrote that it went from linear to more nucleated.
What did you guys write about the situation around the area (forgot name) and the landuse?

I wrote about how it was next to a canal and would therefore be used as a transport link and for communications. I also wrote that it was a wet point site? (I remember hearing it so I put it in LOL!).
I said where it was in relation to the two rivers, the coniferous and mixed woods around it, and the nature reserve to the west on the River...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by I failed my exam
Even if we failed guys, remember the UMS!

True. I'm sure the UMS will be a lot lower this year - since the OS Map answers are so questionable and the majority of people did quite bad at it.
Reply 32
Geography is defiantly my worst subject. The teacher is a c*nt and I have learned next to nothing in 2 years. Did decent in the coursework tho (A). I'm sitting the exam tomorow. Are there any case study questions?? If there are i am getting an E (like I did in both my mocks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending