The Student Room Group

How do PhDs work?

Hi,

I'm only a first year medic but I am curious about how PhDs work. I would most likely intercalate (so graduate with an IBSc - biochem or pharmacology, but not sure - and MBBCh), then finish my F1 and F2 before applying for a PhD, if I were to apply.

But how exactly do they work? Do you come up with an idea, apply to the Uni, so effectively pitching your idea to them and see whether they think it is worthwhile or not. Or do the departments advertise PhDs, so you fill a vacancy of sorts.

I have had a little look online and I have been quite confused by what I have found, so any help would be much appreciated.

I know it is really early to be thinking about PhDs, but if there is anything Medic UCAS taught me it is that being on the ball early helps tremendously. Additionally, are there any differences to normal PhD applications and Oxbridge applications?

Cheers,

Muppet Science
Original post by Muppet Science
Do you come up with an idea, apply to the Uni, so effectively pitching your idea to them and see whether they think it is worthwhile or not. Or do the departments advertise PhDs, so you fill a vacancy of sorts.

It can be either of these, though the advertised position on a project is very seldom seen in the humanities.

Additionally, are there any differences to normal PhD applications and Oxbridge applications?

Oxbridge applications are normal applications.
Reply 2
Do you come up with an idea, apply to the Uni, so effectively pitching your idea to them and see whether they think it is worthwhile or not. Or do the departments advertise PhDs, so you fill a vacancy of sorts.

In Medicine and related fields more often than not PhDs are advertised projects and you apply to the project. These are advertised throughout the year, so keeping an eye on jobs.ac.uk and particular universities you'd like to do your PhD would be useful. However, most PhDs at medical schools don't actually ask for a medical graduate, but for biosciences and related fields, see this one at Cardiff School of Medicine for example:

http://courses.cardiff.ac.uk/funding/R2234.html

Outside of a PhD, you could look into an MD, again Cardiff offers this (though doesn't provide any information on it, and I'm not really familiar with it):

http://medicine.cf.ac.uk/pgr/

Most universities run postgraduate open days, why not attend one to find out a little bit more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending