The Student Room Group

Is an engineering course a good choice for me?

I used to want to do illustrating, then ancient history, then physics, and now engineering. Yup.

When I've been researching about picking a course, they firstly ask "what interests you?" and it's nothing more specific than finding out how things work how to make things better.

Obviously this could be anything from finding out about the brain and how to help with mental illnesses to building a more efficient car. I have interests in many things like art, ancient history and physics but no passion as of yet. When I read about people in engineering they usually have other interest such as gaming, to keep updated with technology and writing computer programmes or, at least, have experience before applying to University.

I don't have those interests or experience, save for an Engineer Scheme Wales project. Looking for some experience in the holidays is overbearingly nerve wrecking (I hate that I'm too shy, and even more if I end up disappointing, big time) But I'm still interested in engineering because I do have a confident side when I know what I'm talking about. Great listener and team player. But if you're reading this and have a different career in mind for me, please tell me your thoughts xD

In the ESW project I desperately wanted to play a more important role than researcher because it was exciting. But I didn't know what they were talking about. I don't know if it's because I'm just not knowledgeable or if I'm uncreative.

My best subjects at school were art and history but I think it was because of my good analytical skills because, when it came to creating my own artwork, I wasn't so good. I'm a thinker, big time, more than getting involved in practicals, but I don't want to stop trying to work with my hands rather than just using my mind etc.

I've been more interested in STEM subjects and take Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics for AS. But even though I'm quick at understanding the concepts, my maths isn't awesome and with practice I'm improving only at a snail's pace.

I hear analytical skills are good for an engineer, so awesome~ but so is creativity. So I'm worried. I'm a great procrastinator which isn't good for Uni Engineering courses but I think I'll be willing to work to get it done if I know that it's for the best.

"I want to make the world a better, sustainable place!" sounds awesome but what's the good if you can't do it? Lol so any advice would be welcome.
Reply 1
Original post by riddleofrevenge
I used to want to do illustrating, then ancient history, then physics, and now engineering. Yup.

When I've been researching about picking a course, they firstly ask "what interests you?" and it's nothing more specific than finding out how things work how to make things better.

Obviously this could be anything from finding out about the brain and how to help with mental illnesses to building a more efficient car. I have interests in many things like art, ancient history and physics but no passion as of yet. When I read about people in engineering they usually have other interest such as gaming, to keep updated with technology and writing computer programmes or, at least, have experience before applying to University.

I don't have those interests or experience, save for an Engineer Scheme Wales project. Looking for some experience in the holidays is overbearingly nerve wrecking (I hate that I'm too shy, and even more if I end up disappointing, big time) But I'm still interested in engineering because I do have a confident side when I know what I'm talking about. Great listener and team player. But if you're reading this and have a different career in mind for me, please tell me your thoughts xD

In the ESW project I desperately wanted to play a more important role than researcher because it was exciting. But I didn't know what they were talking about. I don't know if it's because I'm just not knowledgeable or if I'm uncreative.

My best subjects at school were art and history but I think it was because of my good analytical skills because, when it came to creating my own artwork, I wasn't so good. I'm a thinker, big time, more than getting involved in practicals, but I don't want to stop trying to work with my hands rather than just using my mind etc.

I've been more interested in STEM subjects and take Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics for AS. But even though I'm quick at understanding the concepts, my maths isn't awesome and with practice I'm improving only at a snail's pace.

I hear analytical skills are good for an engineer, so awesome~ but so is creativity. So I'm worried. I'm a great procrastinator which isn't good for Uni Engineering courses but I think I'll be willing to work to get it done if I know that it's for the best.

"I want to make the world a better, sustainable place!" sounds awesome but what's the good if you can't do it? Lol so any advice would be welcome.

It's an interesting question and as no-ones replied yet i'll give it a go.

I mainly went into engineering because I wanted to make the world a better place, it helped that I managed to find a course that I could throw my all into. My a-level maths and physics grades were not amazing but I walked away with a 1st at the end of my degree, and am now working on space technologies. As such I wil talk about Swansea as it is the only university I know inside out however the same will probably apply to most other universities but I can't be certain of it.

I'll say you have the right attitude which is that of wanting to do engineering for a pure goal rather than money. And it would require hard work and passion is the best way to do it.

I think you've got to remember engineering is a wide subject area which covers pretty much everything. So you will have to do your research into the different disciplines, maybe go on a few open days for various disciplines for universities in your area (I'm guessing your Wales so Swansea has an open day on the 28th June I think).

If you're doing the EESW scheme you should have seen a few things engineers do, and unfortunately you will have to deciede at some point which area of engineering you would like to do your degree on.

If you know you want to do engineering of some sort and don't know what type you could always try a foundation year for engineering (it would make a BEng 4 years however). This is normally used to bring people up to speed who don't have the correct a-levels, it may help you if you feel your maths isn't up to scratch but it will be very basic if you pass a-level maths and physics. Swansea's covers intro to materials engineering, chemistry, engineering science, electricity and magnetism, mechanic, thermofluid mechanics etc.

However as mentioned it does take a year so you would be probably be better reading up on the range of degrees and seeing what would be best for you/what you can get truly involved in. (Swansea's course handbooks for each year are available online at https://collegeintranet.swan.ac.uk/handbooks/handbook_list.svlt if you wanted some more indepth details on the kind of modules that would be included in each discipline.)

Hope that's of some help.
Reply 2
I don't think anyone can tell you what career is good for you but yourself. Plus I know quite a lot of people who do engineering and have no interest in gamimg area :/ so I think it depends from person to person.

The reply above me is great and its reassuring as I will be starting my engineering course this September :smile: I think that your A level grades do not determine how well you will cope in uni, its just your attitude towards learning in general and being responsible.

If you like physics you will like some aspects of your course which are more physics-y :tongue:
And yes if you having trouble finding out which area to pick, just attend open days and other events which give insight into engineering overall. I wasn't sure either until I went to a summer school I just knew what I wanted to that course then and am still pretty sure.

I dunno if my reply has helped you in any way, but look into it its a great field! And I'm not saying in terms of money, its satisfying if you know you can help others :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HQazi
I don't think anyone can tell you what career is good for you but yourself. Plus I know quite a lot of people who do engineering and have no interest in gamimg area :/ so I think it depends from person to person.

The reply above me is great and its reassuring as I will be starting my engineering course this September :smile: I think that your A level grades do not determine how well you will cope in uni, its just your attitude towards learning in general and being responsible.

If you like physics you will like some aspects of your course which are more physics-y :tongue:
And yes if you having trouble finding out which area to pick, just attend open days and other events which give insight into engineering overall. I wasn't sure either until I went to a summer school I just knew what I wanted to that course then and am still pretty sure.

I dunno if my reply has helped you in any way, but look into it its a great field! And I'm not saying in terms of money, its satisfying if you know you can help others :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup you helped, hope the course works out :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending