The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by BarneyMartin
What about the question about using solution mining over other methods?

I said it leaves insoluble materials behind, it's easier and I forgot what else I put
what did people write about the stage 2 hydrogen sulfide question and why it is necessary?
Reply 63
Yh for the bus question I said that if less people use their cars and use buses more, then overall less fuel is being burned and that the use of many cars releases more pollutants into the atmosphere than one bus that can transport many people.

I also said something about the buses meeting less traffic and travelling more quickly so they release less exhaust gasses needlessly during traffic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Salvus
I found this one easier than the Biology?! The only question I struggled on was the first one. The 6 marker on buses was extremely similar to one in the Geograpical Skills paper on tuesday.

I found it easy too! But, I hated the first one, because I wrote that Kate was correct, as when buses travel faster, less oxygen is in the bus engine, so incomplete combustion takes place and more pollutants are produced, so therefore she was correct, but I think that science is completely wrong!!!
I also wrote Dom was correct, because of less cars- adjusting the balance between private and public transport or something like that, so I was contradicting myself, but I think I did okay on the other stuff on the paper
Best paper ever. Without a doubt. I'm so happy right now I discussed answers with teachers and I only lost marks (maybe) in six marks. Woo!! Hope physics is as good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CFC DE BRUYNE
what did people write about the stage 2 hydrogen sulfide question and why it is necessary?

It has to be oxidised as it will otherwise react with water vapour in the atmosphere to form acid rain which will harm the environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67

I said that the HS was oxidised to form H2O and normal sulphur. This was good because the toxic HS formed H20 and normal sulphur so that when the natural gas was burned, less pollution formed.

Hydrogen sulfide is toxic so to stop that is what I put. i wasn't certain of it but rememberrd it from c3 and I've just checked it now because I wasn't certain but it's their :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream
It has to be oxidised as it will otherwise react with water vapour in the atmosphere to form acid rain which will harm the environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hydrogen sulfide causes acid rain?? I thought it was a foul smelling toxic gas.
Hydrogen sulfide causes acid rain?? I thought it was a foul smelling toxic gas.

I probably got this wrong?
I probably got this wrong?

I thought it was toxic and foul smelling as well :s-smilie:
What about the last 6 marker about correlation. What did you need for 6 marks :confused:
Original post by Tijana-_-
I thought it was toxic and foul smelling as well :s-smilie:
What about the last 6 marker about correlation. What did you need for 6 marks :confused:

It's toxic and foul smelling, caused by the early version of alkalis, nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide is the acid rain one
During the exam, I found it great but now coming to think of it, EVERYONE found it really easy meaning for sure the grade boundries will be very harsh and examiners will have to be stricter marking things like the 6 markers :/

I put that it was a foul smelling gas too and that it can seep into the environment and harm nature because it's a toxic gas :L Is that wrong??

The six markers were all quite awkward but what's annoying me the most is the general lack of science theory which I spent AGES revising when about 70% of the paper was data handling -.-

What did people put down for the very last question? (magnetic stripes in rock?) Isn't that P1? :L urgh I'm beginning to really hate that paper now because grade boundries will be ridiculous I'm sure :'(
Original post by happydays507
During the exam, I found it great but now coming to think of it, EVERYONE found it really easy meaning for sure the grade boundries will be very harsh and examiners will have to be stricter marking things like the 6 markers :/

I put that it was a foul smelling gas too and that it can seep into the environment and harm nature because it's a toxic gas :L Is that wrong??

The six markers were all quite awkward but what's annoying me the most is the general lack of science theory which I spent AGES revising when about 70% of the paper was data handling -.-

What did people put down for the very last question? (magnetic stripes in rock?) Isn't that P1? :L urgh I'm beginning to really hate that paper now because grade boundries will be ridiculous I'm sure :'(

No it's different to P1. It's magnetic alignment which points to the equator which tells us the latitude of where the UK was according to rocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's different to P1. It's magnetic alignment which points to the equator which tells us the latitude of where the UK was according to rocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, well that's 3 marks down the drain then... I spoke about the reverse in polarity every million of years resulting in a change in the overall magnetic field surrounding the Earth and the swap of the north/south pole etc etc... great
Ah, well that's 3 marks down the drain then... I spoke about the reverse in polarity every million of years resulting in a change in the overall magnetic field surrounding the Earth and the swap of the north/south pole etc etc... great

Yep i put that too :frown:

Ahaha I did the same, it's so annoying how a lot of the topics seem to overlap between Chem and Physics -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Original post by tigergirl8282
Ahaha I did the same, it's so annoying how a lot of the topics seem to overlap between Chem and Physics -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I just spoke about how it's used to track the movement of the Earth and tells you the conditions that the rocks formed in when the ancient continents moved...?

I checked the official OCR 21st century chemistry revision book, it says:'Geologists also use magnetic clues in rocks to track the very slow movements of the continents over the surface of the Earth.'(links to tectonic plates and continental drift?)
I can't remember what the question was exactly, but that is what it says about magnetic clues in the revision book

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending