The Student Room Group

Business or Investment Banking?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know why there is still a misconception that IB requires quantitative subjects. Met plenty of people doing subjects from Classics, History, Languages, Politics etc.
Reply 41
Original post by uxa595
Just curious about this bit. Could you elaborate on the illegality of executing trades for someone else.

So does that mean if someone trades for their parents/family without any regulation around them, it's illegal? Obviously, nobody would find out in that scenario but it just seems weird.
How could a start-up investment fund legally execute trades for someone else?

Also, surely it can't be that hard to make money at the moment. S&P500 with dividends came 32% last year and 16% the year before. I've always thought you should just invest in an index fund as over a longer period of time, very few investment funds actually beat them; it'd save you fees too. Then you could maybe personally short certain stuff you feel really uncomfortable about to cancel out those positions.

Here is a link to the FCA website which briefly talks about these regulations, the full legislation can be found through that website.

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/about-authorisation/do-i-need-to-be-authorised

To answer the first question: yes that would be illegal.

Second question: Generally a start-up fund will have professional traders, who will already be FCA registered. They then register the new firm offering the fund, and switch the traders registration from their old institution to the new firm which offers the fund.

You have answered that one yourself I suppose, this is one of the reasons I would suggest the OP to not go down this path. What can he offer that other more established investment firms cannot?

Also, it's never actually easy to make money. It's easy for you to look back and say, heck, the S&P was easy pickings last year. Would you invest in it again this year with it being near all time highs and an increase in interest rates on the horizon? Imagine if you had the same viewpoint in 2005,06,07. Then in 08 you loose 38.47% and your clients are poorer than they were before they had the misfortune of meeting you.

Your last point in bold didn't make sense to me, could you elaborate?
Reply 42
Original post by liarpoker
I don't know why there is still a misconception that IB requires quantitative subjects. Met plenty of people doing subjects from Classics, History, Languages, Politics etc.

This is indeed true for IBD, less so for S&T especially these days.

From what the OP has said, they are more interested in the markets side of banking.

Modern trading almost always requires a quant based degree.
Thanks for the help everybody, I have decided to continue with the business and see how it goes for the time being and will mostly likely step down in the coming years. I feel I have already progressed far and to pack it in would be a waste, there's no harm in pushing forward as long as there are not any legal infringements.

Due to not having maths A level, its very difficult to get into a Russel group uni and study a degree highly regarded. Thus I have opted for the accountancy route, and hope to apply to firms as a school leaver and gain my AAT/ATT in the coming years. My careers advice suggest it may be easier to switch careers to banking once i'm a fully qualified accountant. It also offers a debt free route and close to home, with time in the evening for my business.

However this topic has been more than helpful and I thank you all :biggrin:
Original post by liarpoker

Go into Risk or F/O - S&T and see who doesn't have a quant subject.
Reply 45
Original post by Liberalists

I got into a graduate position at a HF, have a bull**** management degree...

It's all about pedigree, connections and you being quick with basic arithmetic if you're dealing with plain vanilla products.

Don't generalize.
Original post by SonnyZH

It's all about pedigree, connections and you being quick with basic arithmetic if you're dealing with plain vanilla products.

Don't generalize.

Depending on the institution you studied, management degrees can have a fair bit of quant modules.
Reply 47
Depending on the institution you studied, management degrees can have a fair bit of quant modules.

They can, but mine wasn't (can you even count accounting/basic statistics electives?). Point being that advanced mathematical knowledge will be more relevant to some positions but by no means a requirement for trading...
Original post by SonnyZH
They can, but mine wasn't (can you even count accounting/basic statistics electives?). Point being that advanced mathematical knowledge will be more relevant to some positions but by no means a requirement for trading...

All the BB banking institutions I've done experience / insights at have had their recruiters advocate doing a quant degree at a target/semi to have a good chance of getting your foot in the door. Although I asked predominately for S/T & Risk Management positions. Albeit, I haven't even started university so I don't have much experience.

However nearly everyone on the risk floors at BAML had quant degrees. Engineering/Maths/Finance/Physics
Reply 49
Original post by SonnyZH

Don't generalize.

Ok, you're one example out of a massive number of people.

Yep, vanilla products are not that complex by definition. But even at that, you are not going to fully understand them without university level mathematics knowledge. I am not saying you need to understand them to do your job, but I would only want to trade what I fully understand. Finance is endemic with people who don't really understand what they trade.

I have it from the head of a trading division at a large BB firm that for traders, he is seriously biased towards quant based degrees. Take from that what you will.

The argument still stands that for trading roles:

Quant based degree>all other degree types

There are always exceptions to the rule. It's easier to be the rule than the exception though....
Reply 50
Original post by Crazy92
Here is a link to the FCA website which briefly talks about these regulations, the full legislation can be found through that website.

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/about-authorisation/do-i-need-to-be-authorised

To answer the first question: yes that would be illegal.

Second question: Generally a start-up fund will have professional traders, who will already be FCA registered. They then register the new firm offering the fund, and switch the traders registration from their old institution to the new firm which offers the fund.

You have answered that one yourself I suppose, this is one of the reasons I would suggest the OP to not go down this path. What can he offer that other more established investment firms cannot?

Also, it's never actually easy to make money. It's easy for you to look back and say, heck, the S&P was easy pickings last year. Would you invest in it again this year with it being near all time highs and an increase in interest rates on the horizon? Imagine if you had the same viewpoint in 2005,06,07. Then in 08 you loose 38.47% and your clients are poorer than they were before they had the misfortune of meeting you.

Your last point in bold didn't make sense to me, could you elaborate?

I'm no trader and never have traded so it may sound a little dumb. If you invest in an index fund, you can't liquidate certain positions. So instead (at a cost), you could short certain stocks you feel will not to well in order to improve your return.

I guess you're right but the S&P has done well long term, but that logic can apply to many traders and investment funds too. However, the S&P500 has a good long run track record.
which one enjoy more3

All the BB banking institutions I've done experience / insights at have had their recruiters advocate doing a quant degree at a target/semi to have a good chance of getting your foot in the door. Although I asked predominately for S/T & Risk Management positions. Albeit, I haven't even started university so I don't have much experience.

However nearly everyone on the risk floors at BAML had quant degrees. Engineering/Maths/Finance/Physics

I think it depends. A-Level Maths is usually enough to dispel the fears over the maths skills of non-maths students and that's if passing numericals/brain teasers does not suffice. Met a number of people going into S&T with no quant degree.

Also, would be wary of making such bold claims with limited experience....
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending