The Student Room Group

So apparently, I should be in bed, not driving around at 3am according to the police

Scroll to see replies

imo if i was the 5'0, i would have popped a cap in you punk ass for being such a loser and going to mcdonalds
Reply 41
Original post by Fizzel
You do have to ask what type of people does that career attract.

I think I'd have been pretty shirty with him tbh. Make sure I get the details, of why I'm being stopped and by whom. Ensure he plays everything by the book, and quite frankly make his job as inconvenient as my stop.

The typical street copper are from the same estates as the scum bags who are out there beating up old ladies.
Thugs with badges IMHO.

The ones further up are ex public school.
Original post by redferry
for my dissertation I did a project where I tracked foxes until 4AM. Was stopped soooo many times by police for erratic driving, loitering outside peoples houses etc.

:lol: I can imagine the police reaction. "Oh yes. You are tracking foxes are you. Now tell us what you're really up to."
Original post by Fullofsurprises
:lol: I can imagine the police reaction. "Oh yes. You are tracking foxes are you. Now tell us what you're really up to."

Well I was there in a down onesie with a giant box emitting static...it was pretty obvious :P
I don't see the problem here; it's not like he arrested you and kept you in a cell for the night.
Original post by Mighty Eagle
I was up late on Thursday night after spending hours on the computer and watching tv, I decided I was peckish so went out in my car to McDonald's for some food and a mocha drink, I then decided I fancied a little drive so I just drove out for 10 miles or so as I love quiet roads, I was driving within the speed limits on a quiet road with no houses in sight, just open fields and I suddenly noticed a police car, it flashed me to pull over so I did, the male officer asked me a few questions

Him . Hi sir, what are you doing up and about this time of night
Me. I've just been out to McDonald's for food and fancied a ride out, is that okay ?
Him. It's an unusual time , most people your age are at home asleep at this time
Me. I was hungry I am aloud to eat

the conversation went something like that anyway, he was basically saying I shouldn't be out at that time but it really wound me up, I am 22 years old for goodness sake, I wasn't breaking the law and yet I was stopped and quizzed like a criminal
Anybody else been stopped by police just for being out and about late at night ?

Call 101 make a complaint about the officers, ask for a freedom of information request for the bodywarmer footage. Make a complaint against the officers and just go through a police conduct book, get a decent argument together. If they deny wrong doing take it to ipcc, you can make that officers a day a bad one. Enjoy its really simple to do, likely outcome further training and a apology. He a police constable sergeant even, bring him down a level, things like that stay on his file.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by russellsteapot
Once or twice. I don't really mind to be honest. Suspicion is always going to be based on things out of the ordinary, and a young man driving around at 3am is out of the ordinary.

Policing relies heavily on instinct and looking for unusual things. It might seem like you're being treated as a criminal but I think it's reasonable to sacrifice a tiny bit of freedom for good policing.

"Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Frankin.
Original post by Rascacielos
It's an unusual time to be out at night - there's nothing wrong with it but the likelihood of you being up to something/over the limit is necessarily much higher than during the day, so the police are more likely to stop you. It sounds to me like the police officer was actually pretty polite about it. If you have nothing to hide, why should it be a problem?

I agree with what you said, apart from that last sentence. I hear it well too often when people discuss the powers of the state, e.g NSA online snooping, car black boxes, and police powers of stop and search. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want people infringing my privacy and freedom.
Reply 48
Original post by SloaneRanger
Call 101 make a complaint about the officers, ask for a freedom of information request for the bodywarmer footage. Make a complaint against the officers and just go through a police conduct book, get a decent argument together. If they deny wrong doing take it to ipcc, you can make that officers a day a bad one. Enjoy its really simple to do, likely outcome further training and a apology. He a police constable sergeant even, bring him down a level, things like that stay on his file.

That seems rather vindictive for a five minute stop?

Original post by Namige
"Those willing to sacrifice liberty for security deserves neither." - Benjamin Frankin.

But in a civilised society we constantly sacrifice liberty for the sake of security, pretty much every law made can be seen as a restriction on personal liberty.
Original post by SteveKeith
I agree with what you said, apart from that last sentence. I hear it well too often when people discuss the powers of the state, e.g NSA online snooping, car black boxes, and police powers of stop and search. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want people infringing my privacy and freedom.

Of course not, but did you get the impression he was doing that? If you appreciate and accept that it's his job to check that you're not driving around with a body in your boot (or whatever - probably less serious - reason he stopped you for!) then there are only a certain amount of ways he can ask what you're up to. And if you're very tetchy about people not infringing your privacy, then all of them are probably going to annoy you.

I wasn't there (obviously) but the impression I got from your (?) original post was that he was trying to make friendly conversation whilst still essentially doing his job. The comment about most 22 year olds being in bed was probably just to lighten the situation up a bit, and not especially to say that you should also be in bed at 3am and how very defiant of you to not be! Maybe his question came across a little invasive, I don't know, but it does annoy me when people moan that the "Feds" are just there to invade your privacy and generally be a nuisance (I'm making a general observation here, not specific to you). Like cold callers and over-zealous retail staff, they're just doing their job and the consequences of not doing it could potentially be enormous.

There is one small detail which you seem to be forgetting, and that is that the police officer didn't do anything wrong. Based on the age of the driver and the time at which they were out the officer had a perfectly valid reason to check on the occupant of the car.

The officer would have been acting well within the bounds of what they are permitted to do and as such there is no action that could be taken against him.

Lastly, what exactly would you gain from acting like a complete ****ing **** anyway?
Original post by Rascacielos
Of course not, but did you get the impression he was doing that? If you appreciate and accept that it's his job to check that you're not driving around with a body in your boot (or whatever - probably less serious - reason he stopped you for!) then there are only a certain amount of ways he can ask what you're up to. And if you're very tetchy about people not infringing your privacy, then all of them are probably going to annoy you.

I wasn't there (obviously) but the impression I got from your (?) original post was that he was trying to make friendly conversation whilst still essentially doing his job. The comment about most 22 year olds being in bed was probably just to lighten the situation up a bit, and not especially to say that you should also be in bed at 3am and how very defiant of you to not be! Maybe his question came across a little invasive, I don't know, but it does annoy me when people moan that the "Feds" are just there to invade your privacy and generally be a nuisance (I'm making a general observation here, not specific to you). Like cold callers and over-zealous retail staff, they're just doing their job and the consequences of not doing it could potentially be enormous.

Sorry I think I may have worded it wrong, this wasn't my post. I wasn't referring to this situation, as I believe that the officer caused an inconvenience, but I can understand why and don't have a problem with. But the phrase, if you have nothing to hide why does it matter, I disagree with strongly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Lampoon

But in a civilised society we constantly sacrifice liberty for the sake of security, pretty much every law made can be seen as a restriction on personal liberty.
And how great that has turned out to be.
Original post by SteveKeith
Sorry I think I may have worded it wrong, this wasn't my post. I wasn't referring to this situation, as I believe that the officer caused an inconvenience, but I can understand why and don't have a problem with. But the phrase, if you have nothing to hide why does it matter, I disagree with strongly.

Yes, in all fairness, so do I. I think the point I was trying to make (and did very badly - I admit) was not that "if you have nothing to hide..." is a justification for the police doing pretty much anything. I am strongly in favour of privacy too! What I meant was that the "people" in general (and possibly the OP given that we don't know the full circumstances of his case) should quit being so offended by the police doing their job. And in circumstances where there is a fairly legitimate reason for them being stopped, then it doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide and, although I appreciate it's an inconvenience, I also think it's a necessity.

That's the point I was trying to make, which I appreciate was far from what I implied. I don't think it's a legitimate way of saying "we can do whatever we want".
As long as there was no further tbh. Police are dicks, next time if they ask what you are doing you can literally say none of your business. I think you're obliged to give identification details i.e. name, address etc and if they ask you to get out of the car you are obliged to, but other than identifying yourself unless they suspect you of a crime then you don't need to answer what you are doing.
Yes, you should.
Original post by mackemforever
There is one small detail which you seem to be forgetting, and that is that the police officer didn't do anything wrong. Based on the age of the driver and the time at which they were out the officer had a perfectly valid reason to check on the occupant of the car.

The officer would have been acting well within the bounds of what they are permitted to do and as such there is no action that could be taken against him.

Lastly, what exactly would you gain from acting like a complete ****ing **** anyway?

His comments were provocative implying he should be in bed, a police officer should be implying fact not opinions as to what he thinks that person should be doing at 3am. Its not the polices officers judgement to cast judgement on him wanting to get something to eat, its his lack of social awareness to know that mc donalds is a 24/7 outlet and its open precisely for that. The guy should just do his job search the car then making offensive remarks and trying to intimidate the driver, they do it to young people who they think are boy racers. Only way to make someone learn is to work in accordance with the law, i.e. Make a formal complaint, you can still get his serial number. The police officer just a scumbag who couldn't go through school properly and a non decision maker, so i would rightly put him in his place.
Original post by Lampoon

Certain police officers are on a powertrail with stopping people, its only right that they account for their decisions. If he doesn't have anything to hide about his conduct then he won't mind the bodywarmer footage being reviewed, if he didn't have it on this guys got a lot to account for.
Original post by cole-slaw
Being anything other than extremely polite and helpful to the police is just asking for trouble. You're lucky this isn't the states, talking back with childish rubbish like "I'm allowed to eat" would have earnt you a night in the cells.

I wouldn't open up that can of worms. The way the American people allow their government to treat them is sickening.

As one of the greats once said: "The people shouldn't fear their government, their government should fear the peoples right to pack a pistol."
His comments were provocative implying he should be in bed, a police officer should be implying fact not opinions as to what he thinks that person should be doing at 3am. Its not the polices officers judgement to cast judgement on him wanting to get something to eat, its his lack of social awareness to know that mc donalds is a 24/7 outlet and its open precisely for that. The guy should just do his job search the car then making offensive remarks and trying to intimidate the driver, they do it to young people who they think are boy racers. Only way to make someone learn is to work in accordance with the law, i.e. Make a formal complaint, you can still get his serial number. The police officer just a scumbag who couldn't go through school properly and a non decision maker, so i would rightly put him in his place.

He didn't imply anything, How exactly have you managed to read "It's an unusual time , most people your age are at home asleep at this time" to mean "You shouldn't be out at this time"? There's reading between the lines and then there's completely fabricating your own meaning out of something.

"It's an unusual time , most people your age are at home asleep at this time" is him giving his reason for having stopped the OP. He stopped him because most people of his age would be at home at that time, therefore it can be viewed as suspicious that the OP wasn't, therefore he was stopped.

Stop being difficult for the sake of being difficult you sanctimonious ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending