The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Queen Margaret University (EDINBURGH) (Accommodation)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What are peoples experience of living in halls? Better or worse than private?
Students on campus at Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hiya! Anybody on here who can tell me anything about the Media course? Thanks :P
Reply 22
I am if i get an offer, can not wait!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by ciarakks
Hiya! Anybody on here who can tell me anything about the Media course? Thanks :P

Im doing the media course at the moment if your into the theory sides of things it's good. But their hands on stuff is pretty ****. I'm thinking of dropping out if I'm honest
Original post by ljb13
Im doing the media course at the moment if your into the theory sides of things it's good. But their hands on stuff is pretty ****. I'm thinking of dropping out if I'm honest

Oh yeah I would way rather the practical side. I've heard really bad things about the place :/ Is it really that bad?
Original post by ljb13

Hi there. We are sorry to hear you are having issues with your course. If you want to discuss any aspect, there are a number of support channels available for you. Your Personal Academic Tutor can help with any academic issues, and services such as the Effective Learning Service or Student Support are also happy to help. If you do want to discuss something in more detail, you are welcome to private message us at any time.
Regards, Charlotte (Official QMU TSR Rep)
Original post by ciarakks
Oh yeah I would way rather the practical side. I've heard really bad things about the place :/ Is it really that bad?

Hi there. Our best advice would be to visit us to find out more, and indeed visit any other institution you are thinking about studying at. Once you've been and spoken with staff/tutors you will be able to compare courses better as each one differs in the way it is taught (ours is more theoretical particularly in the early years, but others may be completely theoretical so it's best to compare any you're thinking about). If you are applying this year, an invite to the on-campus days will be sent out in the next few weeks, or if you are only in the early stages, our Open Days are 3rd Sept and 3rd Oct 2015. I would suggest visiting as many places as you can, to get a feel for the way they teach and to get a feel for their campus/locations. Once you visit, you'll know where you'll feel most comfortable studying and can hear more in-depth detail about the course to make the best choice for you!
Charlotte (Official QMU TSR Rep)
If I put qmu as insurance can I still apply for accommodation
Original post by strabane15
If I put qmu as insurance can I still apply for accommodation

Hi there - I've just spoken with the Accommodation team and yes you can still apply, but allocations will only happen in August when results are known. So you can get yourself in the system, but rooms will be allocated later in the session.
Original post by Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh
Hi there - I've just spoken with the Accommodation team and yes you can still apply, but allocations will only happen in August when results are known. So you can get yourself in the system, but rooms will be allocated later in the session.

Thanks charolete I kinda of thought that but wasn't sure. ..what about nhs bursary will i still need to apply for that now also ?
Original post by strabane15
Thanks charolete I kinda of thought that but wasn't sure. ..what about nhs bursary will i still need to apply for that now also ?

The NHS bursary is not applicable in Scotland, that is only for courses in the rest of the UK. Our funding is provided through SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland) and their application process opens in April for Sept 2015 entry students. It is an online application form, so is very straightforward to do. I advise reading up on this on the website (www.saas.gov.uk) so you know what you need to do when they open in April.
The NHS bursary is not applicable in Scotland, that is only for courses in the rest of the UK. Our funding is provided through SAAS (Student Awards Agency Scotland) and their application process opens in April for Sept 2015 entry students. It is an online application form, so is very straightforward to do. I advise reading up on this on the website (www.saas.gov.uk) so you know what you need to do when they open in April.

Thanks Charolette for the advice i will look into this
Reply 32
Hi there. Our best advice would be to visit us to find out more, and indeed visit any other institution you are thinking about studying at. Once you've been and spoken with staff/tutors you will be able to compare courses better as each one differs in the way it is taught (ours is more theoretical particularly in the early years, but others may be completely theoretical so it's best to compare any you're thinking about). If you are applying this year, an invite to the on-campus days will be sent out in the next few weeks, or if you are only in the early stages, our Open Days are 3rd Sept and 3rd Oct 2015. I would suggest visiting as many places as you can, to get a feel for the way they teach and to get a feel for their campus/locations. Once you visit, you'll know where you'll feel most comfortable studying and can hear more in-depth detail about the course to make the best choice for you!

Could you please tell me if the Public Relations, Marketing and Events course is more focused on theory or practice?

Thank you
Original post by Iulia7
Could you please tell me if the Public Relations, Marketing and Events course is more focused on theory or practice?

Thank you

Hi - the course is mixed really. There are modules which are theory-based and will have more classroom time, but you also have modules linking to the events side which will be more practical. You can choose from come modules in the later years which allow you to explore different industries (fashion for example) and build knowledge in aspects you want to learn about in more details. In the 4th year you also have placement which will give you valuable work experience for the industry. So it's an overall mix, with more theory in the early years building to practical experience later.
Reply 34
Hi - the course is mixed really. There are modules which are theory-based and will have more classroom time, but you also have modules linking to the events side which will be more practical. You can choose from come modules in the later years which allow you to explore different industries (fashion for example) and build knowledge in aspects you want to learn about in more details. In the 4th year you also have placement which will give you valuable work experience for the industry. So it's an overall mix, with more theory in the early years building to practical experience later.

Thank you very much! Your answer was really inspiring :smile:
I am too!
Please What areas close to Queen Margaret can I get suitable accommodation? Somewhere I can walk to school from
Original post by Olasosweet
Please What areas close to Queen Margaret can I get suitable accommodation? Somewhere I can walk to school from

Musselburgh is your best choice for closeness however it can be pricey.

The train does stop just by the university so you can go a little further afield and it doesn’t cost lots for an annual rail card for students.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest