The Student Room Group

Anxious, Stressed, Depressed and Constantly Feeling Sick

Hi Guys,

For the last week I've been feeling incredibly stressed and anxious and its making me really depressed. I left my dissertation fairly late and I know its poor. I'm doing okay averagely, and if I get a 65, what I'm averaging, in my exam and last piece of coursework (I'm in my final year), I need a 45 in my dissertation to scrape a 2:1. However, it's really incredibly poor and I've found a plethora of grammar mistakes and reference mistakes (wrong dates, not in bibliography) and I honestly feel the work I produced constitutes a fail. Moreover, I'm really worried that my referencing errors will lead to me being disciplined for plagiarism.

Even though its been submitted, I keep checking it every day and finding mistakes and it's making me feel sicker and sicker. I know I need to forget about it but I just can't. I've got a deadline for my last essay on Thursday but I'm really not in the right frame of mind to do it. I'm feeling completely worthless.

Anyway have any ideas on how to get rid of this feeling? I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Euonyn
Hi Guys,

For the last week I've been feeling incredibly stressed and anxious and its making me really depressed. I left my dissertation fairly late and I know its poor. I'm doing okay averagely, and if I get a 65, what I'm averaging, in my exam and last piece of coursework (I'm in my final year), I need a 45 in my dissertation to scrape a 2:1. However, it's really incredibly poor and I've found a plethora of grammar mistakes and reference mistakes (wrong dates, not in bibliography) and I honestly feel the work I produced constitutes a fail. Moreover, I'm really worried that my referencing errors will lead to me being disciplined for plagiarism.

Even though its been submitted, I keep checking it every day and finding mistakes and it's making me feel sicker and sicker. I know I need to forget about it but I just can't. I've got a deadline for my last essay on Thursday but I'm really not in the right frame of mind to do it. I'm feeling completely worthless.

Anyway have any ideas on how to get rid of this feeling? I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks

Sorry to hear your dissertation isn't going well. However you've submitted it haven't you? Well, you've realized you made mistakes, so that's good, however you can't do anything now that you submitted it, so try not to think about it and move past that. Do you still have other assessments coming up? If so, you should work hard on those now. You can still graduate with a decent grade if you get those done well. Try not to think of the bad consequences. As for the plagiarism, I'm not sure if errors in referencing is going to lead to that...unless you copied off other people's work, and you would of course know that's not allowed so don't worry about it. Besides, how can you be sure that's exactly what the professors will think?:biggrin:

If you have been feeling really depressed, as in it's interfering with your life and you feel like you can't get anything done, then you need to see a mental health professional. Maybe your university can help?

Good luck. Wish you all the best! I hope I helped.:smile:
Reply 2
Hi, Thanks for the response. I know its submitted but I just can't stop thinking about it. I've got a submission on Thursday and then one exam at the beginning of June and then I'm nearly done. I haven't copied anyone's work, I'm just worried because I missed a couple of page numbers and also didn't put a couple of in-text citations in the bibliography. I didn't use endnote and did the referencing at the end (a huge mistake) so naturally I missed some.

I've booked an appointment with the Uni counselor so hopefully I'll feel a bit better
Reply 3
Change your mentality. You're getting over-stressed about things that you can't do anything about. The essay on thursday however is something you can deal with. Just try to calm down, somehow. Take a shower, eat something good, and then sit down and try to do your best on this last essay. Don't let your body trick you. Right now your physiological symptoms are controlling you but you can actually control them if you just change your mentality and take on a calmer outlook on the situation. This always works for me. Just think, whatever happens, I'll figure something out. I'll be fine, not ****ed.

Quick Reply

Latest