The Student Room Group

Drop from 2.1 to a 3rd?

Long story short, this final semester I've had a lot of personal issues, I've been extremely down and unable to self motivate. Because I really had no way to prove this, I couldn't get any extensions which led to two assignments being handed in late. Since the end of second year I've been sitting on a 2.1, a midway 2.1. I'm 100% certain my overall grades for this term will not be an overall 2.1. For my dissertation, I know I'll at least get a 2.2 but for the other two that were handed in late I'm not so sure and I'm preparing myself for 3rds.
Would this be enough to drop my grade to an overall 3rd?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yougoonie93
Long story short, this final semester I've had a lot of personal issues, I've been extremely down and unable to self motivate. Because I really had no way to prove this, I couldn't get any extensions which led to two assignments being handed in late. Since the end of second year I've been sitting on a 2.1, a midway 2.1. I'm 100% certain my overall grades for this term will not be an overall 2.1. For my dissertation, I know I'll at least get a 2.2 but for the other two that were handed in late I'm not so sure and I'm preparing myself for 3rds.

Depends on a) how much your 3rd year was weighted at and b) how much the assignments which were handed in late are worth
Everyone gets convinced they have 'failed' at this stage. And usually they havn't. Its very normal to have self-doubt at Finals stage.
What are the rules for late submission where you are? Ours just take 10 marks off if it's handed in within a week after the deadline. In some situations it's better to take the hit and use the extra week to improve it, rather than hand in a piece of work you aren't happy with.
Original post by yougoonie93

No-one can answer this question unless you give more information.

How much (as a percentage) are second and third year worth?
What exact grade do you have for second year?
How much is your dissertation worth?
How much are the two assignments you missed worth?
What other grades do you have this year?

That said, I'm at a similar stage to you, and lots of people I know are worried about their results, especially their dissertation. It might not be as bad as you think things are.

Also, count yourself lucky you can still get a grade for late hand ins. At my university, if they are late but within 24 hours, the grade is capped at 40%, after that it's an automatic 0%!
You would need to check the rules of your department over late submission. Some places cap marks, others take marks off and others just award a zero. If you found this out it may reduce the worry about what you will get?

Have you spoken to anyone at your institution about your 'personal issues'? I.e. a doctor, personal tutor etc.?

The final few months are the hardest part of the whole degree, and everyone struggles and assumes the worse (Take it from the worlds worst worrier). But if you've got significant other things going on then you need to make sure your university/dr are aware. I had other things going on during my final exams that led to ... we won't go there actually .... but my University were so supportive of the situation which really helped me and was the difference between a degree and no degree.

Quick Reply

Latest