The Student Room Group

Who will win the World Cup?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adil96m
Last four for me will be Argentina Brazil Uruguay and Spain/Germany. I've got a feeling messi is going to be at his best and win it for Argentina.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Messi has never scored at a World Cup before and he's been far from his best this season; Argentina have an awful defence and will fall against the first good team they play.
Reply 21
Portugal or Germany one of them 2. Portgual because they have the most dangerous player in the world Ronaldo who can win it for them against any team and Germany because they have the best squad rest of the teams are over rated.
Reply 22
When you look at it that way they don't stand a chance, but its just my gut feeling. I think messi is gonna step up this time round and show he is the best in the world and if messi is playing well anything is possible for Argentina

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hen44
The worldcup starts exactly a month from today. Who do you think will win it?

My head says Spain. My gut says Argentina.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Argentina have good strikers but that's pretty much it so they won't win it
Brazil have a squad of mostly overrated players, the climate will give them an edge but the quality of other teams will be too much
Germany or Spain for me are the realistic contenders

Posted from TSR Mobile

Argentina have a midfield of di Maria mascherano and gago. That's the best CM in the world plus two quality players. They have some ok defenders too. They are a real threat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Argentina have a midfield of di Maria mascherano and gago. That's the best CM in the world plus two quality players. They have some ok defenders too. They are a real threat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry who's the best centre mid in the world? If you're suggesting it's di maria then clearly you know nothing. An ok defence (I disagree with that they have Garay who's decent and zabaleta who's good but no one else) isn't gonna be enough to win a World Cup

Posted from TSR Mobile
My vote is for Brazil. I think Brazil has 90% chance of wining this world. Besides Brazil i think Spain has a good chance of wining this World. In my list Argentina at 3rd position.
Reply 27
World cup will not happen hopefully. Brazilian protestors will not allow it. Over 1 million are protesting in 100 cities. The govt is corrupt and has diverted all finances to the world cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Hertz
World cup will not happen hopefully. Brazilian protestors will not allow it. Over 1 million are protesting in 100 cities. The govt is corrupt and has diverted all finances to the world cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will happen, your reply was pointless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Sorry who's the best centre mid in the world? If you're suggesting it's di maria then clearly you know nothing. An ok defence (I disagree with that they have Garay who's decent and zabaleta who's good but no one else) isn't gonna be enough to win a World Cup

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not only has di Maria been the best cm in the world over the last few months (by far), but he has also been the best player full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not only has di Maria been the best cm in the world over the last few months (by far), but he has also been the best player full stop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's played as a makeshift CM...

When he played down the wings in the CL final he was far far more effective than at CM.
It will be either Holland or Italy. If I had to choose out of those two I would say Holland because of Sneijder and Van Persie.
England.

Because if you don't have belief what do you have?
Reply 33
Engerland, Engerland, Engerland!
Come on you Lions!:biggrin::bong::england:
Original post by Pete_91
He's played as a makeshift CM...

When he played down the wings in the CL final he was far far more effective than at CM.

He will be playing exactly the same role for Argentina that he does for Madrid. On the counterattack/in set offense he will rotate in place of an inside forward on left (Ronaldo/aguero)

Posted from TSR Mobile
He will be playing exactly the same role for Argentina that he does for Madrid. On the counterattack/in set offense he will rotate in place of an inside forward on left (Ronaldo/aguero)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point was it's not a real CM position that he holds. I reckon he's the best LW in the world though (Counting Messi/Ronaldo as RW/ST/CF).
Quick go on a predictor tool gave me QF's of Brazil v Uruguay, Spain v Italy, Belgium v Argentina and France v Germany :coma: That would be an incredible week of football. It never works out that way though. How many people would have thought before the last World Cup that France and Italy would both finish bottom of their groups, failing to win a game between them? Not many, and even fewer would have thought Ghana and Uruguay would do so well. Same goes for Croatia in 1998, South Korea & Turkey in 2002, Ukraine & Portugal in 2006.

If I had to guess the final, i'd say Germany v Argentina with an Argentina victory.

Original post by Hertz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a chance, over a billion people will watch the final. Take your anti football agenda somewhere else.
A Latin country for sure. Either Brazil or MX or Spain. Uruguay won last time but they cheated Ghana, the only African nation to last that long. I know who's going first and it's sorry but African nations like Cameroons. I love Didier Drogba as I'm from Chelsea and he's done well but Cote d'Ivoire Ivory Coast I just don't know. Pacific Oceania goes and the US. Then like Algeriaaa and Japannn, those guys are like casualties it seems.

Brazil actually might blow because they're gonna be all wound up since it's their host nation. But they're an excellent team normally. I root for them and England obviously but let's be wise and rational....England isn't winning :getmecoat:
Germany
Original post by sr90
Quick go on a predictor tool gave me QF's of Brazil v Uruguay, Spain v Italy, Belgium v Argentina and France v Germany :coma: That would be an incredible week of football. It never works out that way though. How many people would have thought before the last World Cup that France and Italy would both finish bottom of their groups, failing to win a game between them? Not many, and even fewer would have thought Ghana and Uruguay would do so well. Same goes for Croatia in 1998, South Korea & Turkey in 2002, Ukraine & Portugal in 2006.

If I had to guess the final, i'd say Germany v Argentina with an Argentina victory.

Not a chance, over a billion people will watch the final. Take your anti football agenda somewhere else.

Hertz has a point though. And your last statement contradicts the first; your first point denounces a calculated professional opinion because you say that you never know, considering Ghana's last performance as I mentioned in another post, but then you take a guess yourself about Germany and Argentina. Why Argentina? Because of Messi who's so done. Is Portugal going to win next because of Ronaldo? I saw Ronaldo on the last performance and he looked alone on his team as far as skill.

Quick Reply

Latest