The Student Room Group

Schroders 2014 (investment 2020) traineeship finance/IT

Hi i applied for this did an automated interview.. and I have some doubts.

I wanted to know if this traineeship is worth it, do you study towards any qualifications (doesn't state in the information part) after you finish are you back to square one or can you realistically apply to other firms IT/ Finance? I'm currently classified as an A-level leaver if this helps how will this traineeship help me? I've applied for others such as Aon and they offer permanent roles so i have a couple of back ups. Advice is greatly appreciated.:redface:
Have you heard anything back from them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by milkshake102
Hi i applied for this did an automated interview.. and I have some doubts.

I wanted to know if this traineeship is worth it, do you study towards any qualifications (doesn't state in the information part) after you finish are you back to square one or can you realistically apply to other firms IT/ Finance? I'm currently classified as an A-level leaver if this helps how will this traineeship help me? I've applied for others such as Aon and they offer permanent roles so i have a couple of back ups. Advice is greatly appreciated.:redface:

A massively delayed reply, but one that will hopefully be helpful for illustrative purposes.

Yes, the Investment2020 scheme doesn't involve a permanent job, nor actually studying for any qualifications for the most part (I believe Henderson/M&G have NVQ equivalents to be obtained during the 12 months), but, it is a route into asset management.

The statistics don't lie, in that the vast majority of those who complete the trainee/apprentice period go on to get jobs at the firm, or certainly within the industry (I read a statistic of 75% going on to get jobs with the firm and 95% within the IM industry).

Providing you're personable and prepared to work hard throughout the scheme, I think it's a pretty great format. It is what it says it is - a 'foot in the door', in a highly competitive industry. If you make it through the selection process, chances are that you're clever, articulate and able to answer competency-based questions/think on your feet. As long as you do what you would expect to do in any first job (i.e. coming on time or early, leaving later than most etc) and really get behind the work, I don't see how it wouldn't be a good opportunity.

It isn't detrimental to your ability to apply for jobs elsewhere. Indeed, it would benefit an IT or finance application. The only thing I don't believe they allow you to do is complete one apprenticeship/trainee programme and then apply for another. After all, what would be the point?
Did you end up taking this role?
Reply 4
looks really good, most get a permanent position there which is great. After you finished you got the experience and qualifications so you can quite easily get a job in the industry if you don't get a permanent job with them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending