The Student Room Group

How to convert Binary to Octal?

How do you convert binary to octal? I remember doing it ages ago but I cant find it in my notes and I cant find it on the internet :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by mclean_tom_
How do you convert binary to octal? I remember doing it ages ago but I cant find it in my notes and I cant find it on the internet :frown:

It's the same process as converting to and from hexadecimal, except whereas each hexadecimal digit represents 4 bits, each octal digit represents 3.

For example, the (big-endian) binary number 10101110 can be split into three groups. Starting from the left, the first three numbers are 110, which is 6 in decimal/octal. The second three digits - 101 - are 5 in decimal/octal, and the final two are 10, which is 2. Put these numbers together and you get 256.
Reply 2
Original post by miser
It's the same process as converting to and from hexadecimal, except whereas each hexadecimal digit represents 4 bits, each octal digit represents 3.

For example, the (big-endian) binary number 10101110 can be split into three groups. Starting from the left, the first three numbers are 110, which is 6 in decimal/octal. The second three digits - 101 - are 5 in decimal/octal, and the final two are 10, which is 2. Put these numbers together and you get 256.

Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by miser

Are you sure you know your left from your right?

You seem to have worked it out from the correct end anyway :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by davros
Are you sure you know your left from your right?

You seem to have worked it out from the correct end anyway :smile:

Sorry you're completely right - I meant to say the right. Least-significant bits first, or else the number needs to be padded with zeroes so that the number of digits is evenly divisible by 3.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending