The Student Room Group

MSc Business systems analysis and design VS Information systems and IT

I'm Interested in Information systems field, especially the Business-centric part that delas with organizations problems and propose innovative solutions to them.
I have a business administration Background (Finance/Logistics) with very little IT/Computing skills, That's why i'm trying to find out which course is more suitable for me...I'm looking for the consulting and managerial part of the field more than the technicalities of computing.
If you have any information about any of these courses, please help :smile:

Thank you in advance
I'm sorry i forgot to mention that these two courses are offered by City University of London.
Original post by knowledge seeker
I'm Interested in Information systems field, especially the Business-centric part that delas with organizations problems and propose innovative solutions to them.
I have a business administration Background (Finance/Logistics) with very little IT/Computing skills, That's why i'm trying to find out which course is more suitable for me...I'm looking for the consulting and managerial part of the field more than the technicalities of computing.
If you have any information about any of these courses, please help :smile:

Thank you in advance

I would suggest a masters is not the route to go. Information Technology, especially corporate environment management/infrastructure services is an experience-led field.
Despite what university recruiters may say, you will not walk in to any consulting/managerial job with your background plus an MSc (of any description).

Your description of where you'd like to end up is very vague, if you care to expand I could offer you some more focused advice on how you might enter/transition into the industry.

Source: Former IT Consultant (Environment Management & Infrastructure Support).
Thank you Michel for your reply !
Actually, as a short term objective i would like to expand my knowledge and skills in a well established consulting group OR work for a Multinational that relies mainly of information management as a competitive advantage ( retailing, production, manufarturers )...Then look for managerial positions in consulting ( why not starting my own )
when you say ""you will not walk in to any consulting/managerial job with your background plus an MSc (of any description)."" if you mean the required experience i otally agree ! However, what a Master degree offers in term of technical skills and knowledge i think it's a must for a succesfull future career :smile:
Original post by knowledge seeker
However, what a Master degree offers in term of technical skills and knowledge i think it's a must for a succesfull future career :smile:

No it isn't. To be of any use in the field, whichever route you go down, I can tell you that actual experience is what is valued above all else. A Masters with no experience at this point is a waste of money and will not open any doors: You will not be qualified for grad schemes, nor have the experience needed to be a consultant.

Again you aren't totally clear on what it is you want to do, but I suggest trying to look for entry level analyst positions and go from there. With your administration background IT Project Management might be a good start. It would provide a wealth of practical experience, whilst you figure out how the industry works. If you are still desperate to do a MSc a few years down the line, get your company to sponsor you as part of your CPD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending