The Student Room Group

Finishing essay based exams on time??

Hi guys, does anyone have any advice on how to finish essay based exams within the allowed time? I'm very poor at this and I often don't manage to write full responses so as a result my grades are low especially for English literature.. Any tips and advice would be helpful thanks xx
Reply 1
For GCSE the trick is to learn exam technique and do past papers. Basically, work out how much time you have for each question, how much you can write in that time and then have a fixed format that fits in. That's what I'm doing anyway (worked for RE today).

What essay subjects are you doing? I'll see if i can give anything more specific.
Reply 2
Original post by lerjj
For GCSE the trick is to learn exam technique and do past papers. Basically, work out how much time you have for each question, how much you can write in that time and then have a fixed format that fits in. That's what I'm doing anyway (worked for RE today).

What essay subjects are you doing? I'll see if i can give anything more specific.

Im doing a level English literature :colondollar: Haha but i imagine the technique shouldn't be miles away from gcse!
Basically I have 2 hours to write 3 essays. The first two should be done in an hour and the third in an hour with 5 minutes planning max for each. I just can't keep to this :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Lilyghz
Im doing a level English literature :colondollar: Haha but i imagine the technique shouldn't be miles away from gcse!
Basically I have 2 hours to write 3 essays. The first two should be done in an hour and the third in an hour with 5 minutes planning max for each. I just can't keep to this :s-smilie:

If you can't keep to it you need to either write less or be more concise. The latter is preferred obviously but isn't very easy (I find t hard at GCSE so I can't imagine A level). I would try to get into your head the structure of your essay, then depending upon the question just fill in the relevant facts/ quotes/ whatever.

I don't know if this is possible, but if you learnt an essay the right length before-hand could you write it in time? If so then do a couple of past papers and then do more practice on any questions you think might come up... when's the exam though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending