The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What course are you doing?

In Maths you were only allowed normal calculators for Discrete and Statistics and that was only because they didn't expect you to work out things like 10! and such. They're not really necessary for the rest of the modules anyway.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
i'm doing physics ..
Reply 3
Wait up for our resident physicists to arrive then. :smile:
Reply 4
no you won't, basically you can use a basic scientific calculator, no algebra, no graphs and no programming, they may ( they do in chemistry) give you a list of approved calculators. Having said that the only check is that you have to write what model of calculator you used on the front of the exam paper. + I can't see how a graphic calculator would help much
Reply 5
how come the ex-IB students in Durham never ask whether the GDC is allowed ??
Reply 6
psycho
how come the ex-IB students in Durham never ask whether the GDC is allowed ??

is it really a big issue what calculator you can use in an exam?
cobra
is it really a big issue what calculator you can use in an exam?

It can be. You don't want to go spending 90 quid on a Texas TI-89 when yoiu can only use crap ones fron tesco. Also you don't want to be disqualified froim the exam for using "illegal" eqiupment. So it's reasonably important really.
Reply 8
Aceofspades2345
It can be. You don't want to go spending 90 quid on a Texas TI-89 when yoiu can only use crap ones fron tesco. Also you don't want to be disqualified froim the exam for using "illegal" eqiupment. So it's reasonably important really.

if you alredy have a graphical calculator its too late not to buy one, and when you're only doin IB then being disqualified from university exams probably shouldn't worry you at all
cobra
if you alredy have a graphical calculator its too late not to buy one, and when you're only doin IB then being disqualified from university exams probably shouldn't worry you at all

Oh yeah, missed the fact that he already had one. Some people are just worriers, you can't blame them for that.
Reply 10
Besides. Expensive calculators are a waste of money, really. They may be handy in an exam if they're allowed, but otherwise there are many programs which are more useful.
Alternatively you could just learn what basic graph shapes look like and how they transform. Graphical calculators aren't allowed in exams, and probably wouldnt be much extra help anyway. They might be useful for homeworks, but there's nothing a free, easily downloaded graph plotting app can't handle (and they're probably easier to use and have more functions).
Reply 12
so .. in conclusion .. can GDC be used ? otherwise, i would need to buy another scientific calculator ..
Mattmoy_2000
Alternatively you could just learn what basic graph shapes look like and how they transform. Graphical calculators aren't allowed in exams, and probably wouldnt be much extra help anyway. They might be useful for homeworks, but there's nothing a free, easily downloaded graph plotting app can't handle (and they're probably easier to use and have more functions).

Answers your query psycho.

I have a graphical calculator (TI83+) and I'll bring it to Durham cos it might be useful for practicals/homeworks etc
psycho
so .. in conclusion .. can GDC be used ? otherwise, i would need to buy another scientific calculator ..

Nope, not in physics. regular scientific only
Reply 15
I'll bring my Ti82 and use it as Widowmaker plans to, and get some kind of standard casio 2 line display standard scientific thing for exams if I need it.
I have a graphical and haven't found it all that useful to be honest. Good if your bored in a lecture though.
Then you can program it to do stuff in BASIC.
10 GOTO 20
20 SLEEP
30 PRINT "Tick here if you're bored"
nhur nhur nhur!
EDIT: No, I'm not sad enough to write a basic program that works for a joke...I save that for Fortran.
Reply 18
I have a graphical and haven't found it all that useful to be honest. Good if your bored in a lecture though

Apparently there's a downloadable tetris type game for some Texas instruments calculators
ssmoose
Apparently there's a downloadable tetris type game for some Texas instruments calculators

that game would probably cost me my degree if i downloaded it

Latest