The Student Room Group

Cameron is acting like a coward on Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Seems like everyone's now an expert on international relations and knows exactly how to solve this volatile situation
Reply 21
Original post by gladders
Also: Why single out Cameron? He's the leader of just one NATO member state. The UK is militarily significant, but there's only one country's military the Russians take seriously, and that's the US. Cameron could stick his neck out and offer the services of Her Majesty's Armed Forces to Kiev, but without the other states alongside, it would be reckless endangerment of British lives without any evidence that it would help matters.

Likely, it would inflame them: with foreign troops on Ukrainian soil, the Russians would have no qualms at occupying the protesting areas of eastern Ukraine. You've just played into their hands - partition of Ukraine would follow.

Two things.

Whilst we do have the best Army in the whole world:

1. We currently have just about enough blokes to occupy a Ukranian restaurant.

2. We are currently extremely well kitted out for fighting a counter insurgency in a hot, arid country. This would be a large conventional fight in a cold, wet, green country. We had all the gear for that kind of thing about 30 years ago, but we got rid of it because we didn't think we'd need it.
Extremely limited no-fly zone, and enforcing a UN Security Council resolution.

Do you really think the Russian invasion of Ukraine is not breaching international law? Heck, all they needed to do was be invited into Ukraine by a pro-Western leader (interim President maybe) and they would be good to go. I'm not actually advocating invading Russia, if enough Western troops where there, it would just be a prolonged standoff.
Original post by yo radical one
Do you really think the Russian invasion of Ukraine is not breaching international law? Heck, all they needed to do was be invited into Ukraine by a pro-Western leader (interim President maybe) and they would be good to go. I'm not actually advocating invading Russia, if enough Western troops where there, it would just be a prolonged standoff.

I have absolutely no doubt that Russia has violated international law. But what you propose would play into Russia's hands. They are currently feigning non-interference in eastern Ukraine (clearly outright nonsense of course), and the moment any troops or aircraft entered Ukrainian space the Russians will claim they have the right to do the same.

I imagine that Kiev is begging NATO not to get involved beyond diplomacy for that exact reason. It would lead to the partition of the country.
I have absolutely no doubt that Russia has violated international law. But what you propose would play into Russia's hands. They are currently feigning non-interference in eastern Ukraine (clearly outright nonsense of course), and the moment any troops or aircraft entered Ukrainian space the Russians will claim they have the right to do the same.

I imagine that Kiev is begging NATO not to get involved beyond diplomacy for that exact reason. It would lead to the partition of the country.

You're just intellectualising cowardice

The Russians have already placed troops in Ukraine, they've just grabbed a chunk of it, so it's really gone beyond the threat of a Russian invasion, the invasion has already happened.
Original post by RoyalMarine
So Russia can invade and split nations as they like?If we let Putin or anyone else behave like this,he will go on until there is nothing left.Also notice that extremist right parties are probably going to win in EU nations so the message we are giving is that anyone can invade other nations without retaliation.

We let countries we can control do the very same. You should be more angry about that.
You're just intellectualising cowardice

Play nice. And I'd appreciate not insulting me. I'd rather not thousands die because your dick got hard watching Full Metal Jacket.

The Russians have already placed troops in Ukraine, they've just grabbed a chunk of it, so it's really gone beyond the threat of a Russian invasion, the invasion has already happened.

They caught the West on the hop while they could, and are now hanging back to digest their gains. Believe me, if there was a way I'd be all for it, but I say again: the only thing stopping Russia from doing the same in eastern Ukraine right now is the threat, not the actual presence, of NATO troops in Ukraine. You jump the gun, and Putin will jump for joy.
Original post by RoyalMarine
So Russia can invade and split nations as they like?If we let Putin or anyone else behave like this,he will go on until there is nothing left.Also notice that extremist right parties are probably going to win in EU nations so the message we are giving is that anyone can invade other nations without retaliation.

Agreed

The moment Russian troops entered Crimea, NATO forces should have been all over Ukraine, I mean literally thousands of US foot soldiers,British SAS, destroyers in the Black sea, Chechen and Tartar separatists armed and trained by the CIA etc

I concur.

Putin has been allowed too much freedom by the west and his actions represent a direct provocation and disruption of our strategic interests.

UK/NATO troops should be deployed to east-center Ukraine and a line must be drawn, Russia must go no further.

Original post by Rakas21
I concur.

Putin has been allowed too much freedom by the west and his actions represent a direct provocation and disruption of our strategic interests.

UK/NATO troops should be deployed to east-center Ukraine and a line must be drawn, Russia must go no further.

So you've already written off the east and south as part of the Russian sphere of influence? How is that containing Russia, exactly?
Original post by Clip
Two things.

Whilst we do have the best Army in the whole world:

1. We currently have just about enough blokes to occupy a Ukranian restaurant.

2. We are currently extremely well kitted out for fighting a counter insurgency in a hot, arid country. This would be a large conventional fight in a cold, wet, green country. We had all the gear for that kind of thing about 30 years ago, but we got rid of it because we didn't think we'd need it.

We definitely don't have the best military in the world, man-for-man Israel probably has the best military. The US spends about half of their GDP on Military Spending, and is probably the most formidable force on the planet. This is all speculation, but there are several countries I can think of with better armed forces than us.

You do have a point with the equipment though. All our stuff is setup to fight in the middle east. However, think about the camps where UK troop train at. Green, foresty areas of the UK, and then urban training camps would use the same/similar tactics in the Ukraine as they would in the middle east.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyway the UK can not be in a war until our new carrier is built and until we get our girls in the front line.
Reply 31
What I want is for Russia to withdraw its forces and let the Ukrainian people go.

Doing that thorough military means is not the answer, it would only escalate the already fragile situation.
(edited 9 years ago)
So you've already written off the east and south as part of the Russian sphere of influence? How is that containing Russia, exactly?

Russia already has two regions now, we can't get them back without actual military which is what drawing the line avoids. In the East and South regions that are not yet taken we hold referenda and inform Russia that if a single soldier steps foot in the regions which vote to stay, they'll be fired upon.

Crippling them economically can't be done without the Germans thus posturing is the game now.
Original post by Rakas21
Russia already has two regions now, we can't get them back without actual military which is what drawing the line avoids. In the East and South regions that are not yet taken we hold referenda and inform Russia that if a single soldier steps foot in the regions which vote to stay, they'll be fired upon.

Crippling them economically can't be done without the Germans thus posturing is the game now.

The Russian response can be predicted - they would cross the line anyway and dare the NATO troops to fire. Also, without your own troops on the ground in the south and east, how could you guarantee those referendums would be free and fair?

Meanwhile, Kiev loses control of their country as its fate is decided and partitioned Munich-style. Well done.
The Russian response can be predicted - they would cross the line anyway and dare the NATO troops to fire. Also, without your own troops on the ground in the south and east, how could you guarantee those referendums would be free and fair?

Meanwhile, Kiev loses control of their country as its fate is decided and partitioned Munich-style. Well done.

To cross the line it is they that would need to fire (i'm sure we can have a row of mines or some such). Russia would back down, it does not stand a chance against western Russia, let alone NATO as a whole. Putin is a smart man, that's why he's not attacked Kiev.

In the regions Russia does not yet control we would be there and would respect the result.

Kiev has already lost control, they allied with the devil and they have been burnt.
Original post by Rakas21
To cross the line it is they that would need to fire (i'm sure we can have a row of mines or some such). Russia would back down, it does not stand a chance against western Russia, let alone NATO as a whole. Putin is a smart man, that's why he's not attacked Kiev.

So you're proposing to cross the line to lay mines? You've given Russia every justification to invade, then, to protect both its interests and the interests of the pro-Russian group.

This isn't about backing down. It's about containment. Russia respects international opinion only insofar as it can leave a single bridge unburned that it can retreat behind, and that is its apparent promise not to violate Ukrainian territory directly any further. Putin is hoping against hope that Western troops will deploy, as that will give him pretext to do the same. The fact that you can't see this means Putin would run rings round you diplomatically.

In the regions Russia does not yet control we would be there and would respect the result.

Russia officially controls none. Your words are in the eye of the beholder. You've given Russia justification to manipulate the vote at leisure.

Kiev has already lost control, they allied with the devil and they have been burnt.

Kiev is beleaguered, but reports are in that it has not lost control of the east entirely and is actually pushing some back in parts. Don't write them off. I doubt very much they'd appreciate Western busybodies taking over and deciding their country's fate for them.
So you're proposing to cross the line to lay mines? You've given Russia every justification to invade, then, to protect both its interests and the interests of the pro-Russian group.

This isn't about backing down. It's about containment. Russia respects international opinion only insofar as it can leave a single bridge unburned that it can retreat behind, and that is its apparent promise not to violate Ukrainian territory directly any further. Putin is hoping against hope that Western troops will deploy, as that will give him pretext to do the same. The fact that you can't see this means Putin would run rings round you diplomatically.

Russia officially controls none. Your words are in the eye of the beholder. You've given Russia justification to manipulate the vote at leisure.

Kiev is beleaguered, but reports are in that it has not lost control of the east entirely and is actually pushing some back in parts. Don't write them off. I doubt very much they'd appreciate Western busybodies taking over and deciding their country's fate for them.

Russia will not cross the line. A Russian soldier will never fire on a NATO soldier under orders from Putin.

I have little to no faith in Kiev.
It's part of Europe and full of people with feelings, aspirations etc heck they could have been joining the EU in a few years...

Except that they were massively economically dependent on russian subsidy. Which is what started this mess. The EU told them that they could join the EU and keep the Russian subsidy, so they tried to, and Russia understandably refused to be played for suckers. The maidan coup happened, and now you've got a civil war along ethnic lines, with Russian backing for the east and US/EU backing for the west.
Original post by Rakas21
Russia will not cross the line. A Russian soldier will never fire on a NATO soldier under orders from Putin.

I have little to no faith in Kiev.

With respect, I'd rather trust the Foreign Office than someone playing Hearts of Iron 3.
A quick reminder of the Second Principle of War:

Never march on Moscow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending