The Student Room Group

Family/ friends suffering from depression

Hi,

My dad has suffered from depression for years, it's been well-controlled for a while now but just recently it has got really bad again. As it's just me and him at home I'm the only person he can talk to and so I end up having a lot of 'what am I doing with my life/ what's the point' kind of conversations with him which is kind of horrible as he's my dad and it feels so unnatural that he's the one leaning on me. I don't resent it as I know it's not his fault but I do find it a lot of pressure and I find myself worrying about him a lot. I also have a very close friend who has anxiety and depression, is on medication and has counselling but tends to turn to me a lot for emotional support.

I guess I just slightly feel that I've ended up in the role of trying to support everyone and I'm finding it a little hard to cope with. I'm also preparing for my A-levels at the moment, which I think is making me more stressed out about the situation than maybe I would be otherwise.

Any advice? :frown:
It does sound very stressful :frown: Do you know of any young carers' networks in your area, or clubs that meet once a week? I think it would be good for you to reach out for support, whether that's to your dad's doctors or a carers network or something.

Does your school know you're a young carer? If not, maybe you should tell them?

:hugs:
I often ask myself the same questions your dad asks. :frown:
I know how tough it can be, and you seem to be handling it so well. But please remember to take time out for yourself to just relax, have fun and get away from the stress (I know it's hard with exams).

Also I really think you could benefit from talking to someone. I looked after my mum who had depression (and a newborn) while I was doing my alevels and some counselling was really beneficial. It's not therapy as such but just a safe space to talk through what is happening - I received mine through connections I don't know if they still offer this.

Also as mentioned above getting in touch with a young carers group might be an excellent idea. That way it's less formal help but you'll be able to discuss your thoughts and feelings with people going through similar experiences.

All the best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest