The Student Room Group

Higher Geography 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kate_97
What limestone features are people learning? I've learnt limestone pavement, caves and stalagmites and stalactites. Not sure which other ones to do (I don't want to learn them all ������). For a 20 mark question in paper two would these features be enough??

Limestone was a big part of lithosphere last year so I focused more on glacial/coastal features :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by jaswang
Limestone was a big part of lithosphere last year so I focused more on glacial/coastal features :smile:

Ok thanks! Praying limestone doesn't come up 😊
Reply 82
Original post by catherinesx
Headlands are made of chalk and can be well jointed. They may have lines of weaknesses that can be eroded by rain and sea water. The waves attack the lines of weaknesses through the processes of abrasion. attrition, solution and hydraulic action. Weathering also assists in the process by weakening and breaking down the rock. The lines of weaknesses are widened creating caves, continual erosion on either side of the headland results in the formation of an arch. As the waves crash inside the cave, it can erode the roof of a cave resulting in a blow hole forming. Continual erosion at the foot of the arch, results in the roof of the arch becoming unstable and collapsing. This separates part of the headland now known as a stack (old harry). Continual erosion on the stump, results in formation of a stump (old harry's wive)

Thank you very much, I appreciate your effort :smile:
Does anyone know if you have to explain EVERY point you make in higher geography to get the mark? I got half marks for every question in my prelim despite putting the full amount of points for each question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really hope Lithosphere and Rural are optional this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by mynamestaken
Does anyone know if you have to explain EVERY point you make in higher geography to get the mark? I got half marks for every question in my prelim despite putting the full amount of points for each question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never fully explained all of the points I make in exams or prelims and have gotten the mark for them, I do explain the ones I can write a lot about but other ones I just name or describe. I think it would be almost impossible to fully explain everything since were really pressed for time in the exam :frown:
Original post by kamajama
My Teachers Predictions for this years exam were:
Limestone
Atmosphere Circulation / oceanic currents
Soil profiles
Hydrographs
Shifting Cultivation
Site and Situation of Glasgow/ OS MAP question (describing urban areas)
Census
Migration.
Last year he predicted 80% of the questions that would appear in the 2013 exam.

Paper 2 is predictable as well :smile:

Did you study Urban Change for Paper 2? What do you think will come up there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I did think it would be hard to explain all the points! Maybe I just didn't write the correct things :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does everyone write in bullet points for geography, or full sentences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by mynamestaken
Does everyone write in bullet points for geography, or full sentences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Full sentences are best. Never write in bullet points unless you're really pressed for time at the end, sometimes markers won't give you anymore if all your answers are in bullet points
I really hope limestone doesn't come up because my teacher never taught me it because it came up last year
Oh okay thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody have a rough idea of what will come up in Section B + C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by allysonboyd97
Does anybody have a rough idea of what will come up in Section B + C?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look at the last page I posted a list of what has been compulsory and optional in the past few years. There's a very good chance that Atmosphere and Lithosphere will be optional considering they have both been compulsory 3 times in the last 4 years.
Reply 94
I know someones already posted their teachers predictions by what do you predict will be the questions for the urban, industry and rural topic?
What do you think will come up for Hydrosphere apart from Hydrographs? I have a weird feeling that Hydrosphere will be compulsory this year :s-smilie:
Original post by mglen
If you look at the last page I posted a list of what has been compulsory and optional in the past few years. There's a very good chance that Atmosphere and Lithosphere will be optional considering they have both been compulsory 3 times in the last 4 years.

What do you think will be compulsory this year for the Human topics?
Does it matter which order I answer the questions? ?

Before I forget, does anyone have any tips for how to remember each model answer. All the information doesn't stick in my brain.
Reply 98
Original post by Airess3
What do you think will be compulsory this year for the Human topics?

hmm the human ones are harder to predict, my guess would be on rural and industry but I'm probably completely wrong haha
Reply 99
Original post by DizzyLizzy3
Does it matter which order I answer the questions? ?

I'm pretty sure you can answer them in any order as long as it's all clearly numbered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending