The Student Room Group

England versus Wales

I have had my Student Loan accepted by Student Finance England for my course at Lancaster Uni, which is my first choice. My insurance choice is Cardiff Uni. What happens if I have to go to my Insurance choice which is in Wales as regards my Student Finance England loan? Do I have to cancel the SFE and apply to Wales - and there are different rules re student loans and maintenance loans. It's so complicated!
No, it stays the same. You apply to where you live before uni, not where you go to uni (unless you're an EU student).
Original post by Barrie1946
I have had my Student Loan accepted by Student Finance England for my course at Lancaster Uni, which is my first choice. My insurance choice is Cardiff Uni. What happens if I have to go to my Insurance choice which is in Wales as regards my Student Finance England loan? Do I have to cancel the SFE and apply to Wales - and there are different rules re student loans and maintenance loans. It's so complicated!

It's where you are based originally, not where you study.

For example, if you are from Wales, Uni fees only cost £3500 a year, the Welsh Government pays the rest. This applies to wherever you study, be it England or Wales but only if you are from Wales.

But if you are from England and want to study in Wales, you are still being helped by England's student finance because that is where you reside originally. So the Welsh government doesn't help you, because you're not a Welsh resident.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending