The Student Room Group

WJEC Geography spec B (13th May) anyone???

Scroll to see replies

I thought Theme 2 was horrible. SO many long 5/6 markers and not enough time. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
same! i had to write so fast, only to notice at the last minute that i forgot to do question one (just to draw the two bar charts) LOL, so i quickly did it phew
Aha, I was made by my teacher to do foundation and I really wish i did higher because I kinda felt as though they were mocking us for how easy it was I was stupid! I finished over 1/2 hour early!
Any guesses for the grade boundaries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
the six mark questions really threw me as i wasn't expecting them
i felt really rushed for time so my case studies were terrible
everyone else i've spoken to felt the same really so i'm not too worried but they seriously need to make that exam longer... it is almost impossible to do it well in the time given!
but now i'm concerned that the theme 3 and data response will be equally hard!!

also, i was really confused about the 6 mark about the depression i didn't know what they wanted us to do so i didn't know whether to describe what a depression brings or explain why it brings these weather conditions so i just did both :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by dolphins321
any guesses for the grade boundaries?

posted from tsr mobile

43/66 = a*
39/66 = a
35/66 = b
The extra long mark questions were slightly unexpected but I finished the paper and feel really positive about the exam as a whole - more time would've been nice, but it wasn't *too* bad. I think the additional long-markers are where most people got freaked out but the majority of my school appear to have managed pretty well...

It's interesting, of the four exams I have sat, three have now had more long-mark questions than expected (this one, and Units 2&3 of AQA Biology). I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes something of a recurring theme.
Original post by jpetersgill
43/66 = a*
39/66 = a
35/66 = b

Are you sure it was out of 66? I thought it was out of 80?
Original post by Kitty260

Theme 1 = 33 Marks (8 for Case Study and 22 for questions and 3 Marks for Spelling, Punctuation and grammar)

Theme 2 = 33 Marks (8 for Case Study and 22 for questions and 3 Marks for Spelling, Punctuation and grammar)

66 overall.
Reply 29
Yeah it was out of 66 our geography teacher told us so all of us ran out of time due to those stupid case study questions and the long answers :frown:
I felt that the paper was easier than I expected, however on the drought 6 marker I couldn't complete it properly, so I just scribbled down the facts near the end! The handwriting was quite atrocious though on that bit :biggrin: But in general the rest of it including the case studies I felt like I attained quite high marks
Original post by Kitty260

30 marks for each theme and then an additional 3 SPaG marks for each case study, no?
Yes, 66 marks in total.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
But because there are so many 6-markers, it is more than likely that (as long as you've written something substantial) some marks have actually been gained -- even vague points will probably be awarded minor marks.

Personally I thought it was a horrible exam, just because I write so slowly. :angry: But the theme one case studies were great! (I messed up the theme two one!) and the bar graphs/labelling/one markers were easy.
I wonder how theme 3 is going to be and the decision making paper
Any guesses for the DME?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only issue for me was the timing, but I just about finished-hopefully DME and theme three will be a bit more reasonable :smile:
Whatever happens I am just hoping we have plenty of time to answer the DME! Does anybody know whether the 2 hour time is given to complete Theme 3 and the DME or is it split as two separate papers (30 mins and 90 mins)?
Original post by OPR
Whatever happens I am just hoping we have plenty of time to answer the DME! Does anybody know whether the 2 hour time is given to complete Theme 3 and the DME or is it split as two separate papers (30 mins and 90 mins)?

The timing is split to the allocated papers :frown:
Reply 39
My teachers said to expect more 6 mark questions if they had loads in theme 1 and 2.

And also climate change isn't likely to come up as it was on the paper 2 years in a row either in case studies or the actual theme of the paper.

other than that, theme 3 is hard to guess,

a really good revision website is ace geography....has literally everything and case studies.

Good luck.

http://www.acegeography.com/wjec-b-and-yr11-revision.html

Quick Reply

Latest