The Student Room Group

interesting technique used in Jane Eyre??

idk if anyones going to respond to this but at the mo im studying jane eyre for my AS exam (friday :/// )
i just finnd this particular part of the novel written in a really interesting way, and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on why the style is like this and why it has the slightly surreal effect it has.
heres a snippet:

" Here I heard myself apostrophised as a "hard little thing;" and it was added, "any other woman would have been melted to marrow at hearing such stanzas crooned in her praise."

I assured him I was naturally hard--very flinty, and that he would often find me so; and that, moreover, I was determined to show him divers rugged points in my character before the ensuing four weeks elapsed: he should know fully what sort of a bargain he had made, while there was yet time to rescind it.
"Would I be quiet and talk rationally?"
"I would be quiet if he liked, and as to talking rationally, I flattered myself I was doing that now.""

the last part of that is probably the most interesting. its in chapter 24 i think, just after jane and rochester get engaged and its all happy.
idk just something about the weird mix of tenses and reported speech gives it a really surreal vibe??
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Quick Reply

Latest