The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Biology 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Asklepios
Aye, so stuff like the sequence of events in atherosclerosis, all the BMR and energy stuff, advantages and disadvantages of using BMI and the other measurements.

Great, that saves me a bit of time! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Hi, does anyone have the answers for the 2002 paper? :smile:
I was just about to ask for the 2002 answers..I hope someone has them, just done the whole past paper then realised that there wasn't a marking scheme :frown:
I also have a feeling that the essay will be on succession or regulators and conformers!
Reply 24
Original post by Confuzzledkid
I was just about to ask for the 2002 answers..I hope someone has them, just done the whole past paper then realised that there wasn't a marking scheme :frown:

I have the 2002 marking scheme - will post it in around an hour for you.
Reply 25
I also have a feeling that the essay will be on succession or regulators and conformers!

Yeah it could be.
Reply 26
Original post by coultra1

Its on the way
Reply 27

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063745.368289.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063759.747927.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063773.487840.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063789.545470.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063800.680993.jpg

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1400063820.266771.jpg

Hope it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by RetroBhoy

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Reply 29
Thanks so much! :biggrin:

You're welcome. What are you focusing on for the essay?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Your're welcome. What are you focusing on for the essay?

Well like a few people have said, I was thinking it might be something along the lines of succession or regulation/conformation. I think I could manage succession but I really don't like the regulation and conformation stuff - I wrote an essay on that in the prelim and got 7 :colondollar:

I would love a niche and competition essay to come up but since that was an option in 2012, I think the chance of it is very, very slim :redface:

I also wouldn't mind something about intensive food production either, because there's just so much to write about.
Reply 31
Well like a few people have said, I was thinking it might be something along the lines of succession or regulation/conformation. I think I could manage succession but I really don't like the regulation and conformation stuff - I wrote an essay on that in the prelim and got 7 :colondollar:

I would love a niche and competition essay to come up but since that was an option in 2012, I think the chance of it is very, very slim :redface:

I also wouldn't mind something about intensive food production either, because there's just so much to write about.

Yeah, succession or regulation/conformation seems to be on the minds of quite a few people at the moment.
Really hope it's a unit 2 essay. Unit 2 is so much more straightforward I hope to hope its mimicry, symbiosis or dormancy
Can somebody please describe physical mapping, and what BAC and YAC are ? I'm so confused with DNA technology, it's the only topic out of the whole course that I'm struggling with :frown:
Reply 34
Can somebody please describe physical mapping, and what BAC and YAC are ? I'm so confused with DNA technology, it's the only topic out of the whole course that I'm struggling with :frown:

Physical mapping is used to determine the order of genes on each chromosome and the number of base pairs between each one. What i think they do is use a number of STS (sequence tagged sites) these are specific base sequences that are only found on one single place on the genome, so if you probe for that specific sequence you only bind to the desired place on the genome. These act as sign-posts to determine where certain genes are on the genome and the number of base pairs can be counted between each one. Giving more detail about the physical map. Hope this helped, sorry i have no idea what BAC and YAC are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Stephiebee96
Really hope it's a unit 2 essay. Unit 2 is so much more straightforward I hope to hope its mimicry, symbiosis or dormancy

Symbiosis would be a dream come true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physical mapping is used to determine the order of genes on each chromosome and the number of base pairs between each one. What i think they do is use a number of STS (sequence tagged sites) these are specific base sequences that are only found on one single place on the genome, so if you probe for that specific sequence you only bind to the desired place on the genome. These act as sign-posts to determine where certain genes are on the genome and the number of base pairs can be counted between each one. Giving more detail about the physical map. Hope this helped, sorry i have no idea what BAC and YAC are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, that's helps so much :smile:
Starting to panic just sat a prelim that my school bought in it's a Dart Prelim found it much more difficult than any past papers I have done can anyone advise please ahhhh
Reply 38
Original post by bunbun123
Starting to panic just sat a prelim that my school bought in it's a Dart Prelim found it much more difficult than any past papers I have done can anyone advise please ahhhh

I wouldnt worry about it, just keep to everything SQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldnt worry about it, just keep to everything SQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks that's what I thought and there's no appeals anyway so hopefully the past papers will have been enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending