The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 20/05/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am really hoping that a question on whether or not to retain FPTP for westminster elections come up and also a question on the participation crisis
Original post by KCheema
I am really hoping that a question on whether or not to retain FPTP for westminster elections come up and also a question on the participation crisis

FPTP came up last year I'm afraid
Reply 22
Original post by iheartdjokovic
FPTP came up last year I'm afraid

Ah thats poo! Hopefully they are sneaky and try to catch people and ask it again! If not, what other possible questions could be there be on elections? Referendums perhaps?
Original post by KCheema
Ah thats poo! Hopefully they are sneaky and try to catch people and ask it again! If not, what other possible questions could be there be on elections? Referendums perhaps?

FPTP has come up on 3 of the last 5 exams so it could come up again. I doubt referendums - that's more in the democracy section. They could either ask that again or maybe make out a case for the introduction of PR for Westminster elections?
Reply 24
Original post by alexgr97
FPTP has come up on 3 of the last 5 exams so it could come up again. I doubt referendums - that's more in the democracy section. They could either ask that again or maybe make out a case for the introduction of PR for Westminster elections?

Well lets hope they make it 4 in 6 then! & that wouldn't be too bad of a question!

Could someone please give me a structure for both the 10 marker and 25 marker please?
What would be three distinctions between insider and outsider pressure groups???

also for structure of a 10 marker.. just 3 points with an example in each, about half a page at least I would say

for 25: 3 points for , 3 points against. with examples
Reply 26
Original post by Username13
What would be three distinctions between insider and outsider pressure groups???

also for structure of a 10 marker.. just 3 points with an example in each, about half a page at least I would say

for 25: 3 points for , 3 points against. with examples

Insider groups direct access with decision makers since they are granted access to the government and parliament, while outsiders do not have this access as they may wish to have independence or the government may not wish to be associated with them as they may have extreme views.

Another distinction could be that insider groups have a more calm approach to politics and way of portraying their views as they are listened to by the government. In contrast, outsider groups are more extreme in their methods and use direct action such as civil disobedience to any tract publicity.

Another distinction is that insider groups have access to the EU parliament and commission and also access to developed administrations while outsiders do not because they may dismissed over their views, which probably do not comply with the government's policies.
is everyone revising 2 or 3 topics?
I have Business Studies on Monday so i'm just going to read over my notes and mainly focus on elections and democracy
Reply 29
Original post by TheTechN1304
is everyone revising 2 or 3 topics?

It is quite risky only revising two topics because if you get a really nasty question for one of them then you have no other choice other than to take a shot at it and risk getting a bad mark for that question. I am revising three(democracy, elections and pressure groups). I am giving prominence to democracy and elections but brushing up on pressure groups for a back up.
Original post by KCheema
It is quite risky only revising two topics because if you get a really nasty question for one of them then you have no other choice other than to take a shot at it and risk getting a bad mark for that question. I am revising three(democracy, elections and pressure groups). I am giving prominence to democracy and elections but brushing up on pressure groups for a back up.

i agree haha. i'm doing democracy, elections, and as a back up, parties. last year's paper had some really nice questions, so we won't be so lucky this year...
Trust me on this one. Revise 3.. If you get a ****ty question your f'ed if you only revise 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by TheTechN1304
i agree haha. i'm doing democracy, elections, and as a back up, parties. last year's paper had some really nice questions, so we won't be so lucky this year...

Every year can be a nice paper, as long as you know your stuff! Sometimes the same question comes up, its just worded in a different way. For example. everyone is saying that FPTP wont come up because it came up last year but a question on whether PR should be introduced to the UK could come up(it hasn't come up since 2009/2010) and that is largely revolved around FPTP and its disadvantages and then just comparing to the electoral systems of the devolved administrations to use as evidence and then counter acting the argument by saying that FPTP has stood the test of time etc.

But yeah revise 3, its the best thing to do! Unless you have enough confidence to be able to go into knowing every single detail for 2 topics, every single argument, every single definition and every single criticism. don't revise 2. That's my opinion anyway :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by KCheema
Every year can be a nice paper, as long as you know your stuff! Sometimes the same question comes up, its just worded in a different way. For example. everyone is saying that FPTP wont come up because it came up last year but a question on whether PR should be introduced to the UK could come up(it hasn't come up since 2009/2010) and that is largely revolved around FPTP and its disadvantages and then just comparing to the electoral systems of the devolved administrations to use as evidence and then counter acting the argument by saying that FPTP has stood the test of time etc.

But yeah revise 3, its the best thing to do! Unless you have enough confidence to be able to go into knowing every single detail for 2 topics, every single argument, every single definition and every single criticism. don't revise 2. That's my opinion anyway :smile:

agree with this
don't think i have time to revise pressure groups doe:frown:
Reply 34
Original post by Cameron.M
Trust me on this one. Revise 3.. If you get a ****ty question your f'ed if you only revise 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

agree
i have no time to revise pressure groups doe:frown:
damn man
elections and democracy it is:frown:
Reply 35
Original post by xxvine
agree
i have no time to revise pressure groups doe:frown:
damn man
elections and democracy it is:frown:

You could go over pressure groups in an hour. Just learn the main sections. Learn the definitions, distinctions between different types of pressure groups and then learn to what extent they influence the government. That should be enough to use a back up.
Reply 36
Original post by KCheema
You could go over pressure groups in an hour. Just learn the main sections. Learn the definitions, distinctions between different types of pressure groups and then learn to what extent they influence the government. That should be enough to use a back up.

hmmm yh maybe!
If the question says 'Make a case for...' do you just do that side of the argument? Or also bring the other side in but counter them?
If the question says 'Make a case for...' do you just do that side of the argument? Or also bring the other side in but counter them?

I want to know the answer to this too! Could I be quoted in the answer please
Reply 39

Original post by Olympiad
I want to know the answer to this too! Could I be quoted in the answer please

Yep that's exactly what you do, thats what the question is asking :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending