The Student Room Group

Edexcel 6GP01 Government and Politics Unit 1 Exam 20/05/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Would you describe the UK as quasi federal or a unitary state?
Reply 81
Original post by xxvine
how are you learning everything guys

nothing is going in:frown:

Engagement is key to revision. Do things like questions where even if you have to look up he answers when you apply that knowledge then it will stay in your memory.
Reply 82
I understand tyranny of the majority but in what circumstances does it relate to our studies and I what sort of questions should I apply it?
How do you ensure that you have revised everything? I have revised everything from the book but I am worried that there will be a question that needs more knowledge than what the book can give. Also, if anybody could tell me what recent news items they think will be necessary for the exam - that would be brilliant. :biggrin:
Good luck to everyone though!
Original post by FionnB
I understand tyranny of the majority but in what circumstances does it relate to our studies and I what sort of questions should I apply it?

Possibly when you are talking about the disadvantages of direct democracy, for example - one is that it means majoritarianism which would enhance tyranny of the majority and therefore surpress minorities
Original post by jj225
I find learning elections so hard! Any advice as to how to go about it?

If you have been taught more than elections and another topic, I say go with another topic!
Any resources for parties and democracy could you please send them to me.. Thanks !
Anyone have an essay for the pros and cons of PR in Westminster elections?
Original post by TheArch
I'm doing Elections, Democracy and Pressure Groups.
Struggling with learning STV, AV etc. They're all just mashed up in my noodle brain! Any ways I could perhaps learn them quicker? :afraid:

Probably a bit late replying now, but the specification says you don't need to know the working of AV (only FPTP, STV, closed party list, AMS and SV) as AV isn't used in the uk
Original post by TheTechN1304
Probably a bit late replying now, but the specification says you don't need to know the working of AV (only FPTP, STV, closed party list, AMS and SV) as AV isn't used in the uk

That's right, only need to know AV in very general terms in regards to the 2011 referendum, but I found learning AV made it easier for me to learn the other electoral systems :smile:
Reply 90
are you guys all learning 3 topics?

i may only have time to learn 2:frown:
Reply 91
Original post by UKRS
That's right, only need to know AV in very general terms in regards to the 2011 referendum, but I found learning AV made it easier for me to learn the other electoral systems :smile:

how you learning everything?
keep reading all the notes?
Original post by xxvine
how you learning everything?
keep reading all the notes?

No, I just look at a past exam paper and write a plan for the answer for every question on there - the points I'd make and the examples/ evidence to back those points.
If I can't think of what I'd say, I then turn to my notes to try and work it out and then do an essay plan using those notes. I find it works really well and you still have plenty of time to do that; I'm not spending time writing out full answers because we've done work on that throughout the year and for me it's wasting an hour of revision time, but might work for other people!

The other way I revise is generally read around the topic; look at blogs like Conservative Home or Labour List (depending on your political allegiance!) By reading current, up to date examples it furthers your knowledge generally without having to read through the same dull notes again and again...
I am doing elections and democracy, pressure groups are my back ups. I never even did political parties, cause we wasted so much time with the other ones. Does anyone know what topics for these come up a lot?
Reply 94
Original post by perdidaprincess
Possibly when you are talking about the disadvantages of direct democracy, for example - one is that it means majoritarianism which would enhance tyranny of the majority and therefore surpress minorities

Thanks :smile: Would you also consider it as being an issue in the FPTP voting system? Seeing as in consittuencies only the candidate with the majority is represented?
Original post by FionnB
Would you describe the UK as quasi federal or a unitary state?

Unitary cause we don't have enough geographical area for federal states. However devolution has made a mock federal states, but ultimately Westminister parliament is sovereign
Original post by FionnB
Thanks :smile: Would you also consider it as being an issue in the FPTP voting system? Seeing as in consittuencies only the candidate with the majority is represented?

You're welcome and yes certainly !
Reply 97
The uk is a representative and parliamentary democracy right?!?
Reply 98
Original post by xxvine

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Original post by xxvine

The parliament is ultimately sovereign and control the power but this could be challenged by the amount of sovereignty that has been transferred to the EU

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending